2016 Big Horn Mod/Build thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
One thing my Big Horn lacked was a backup camera. Truth be told, none of my previous trucks had one, but my last car did, and once you get used to one it's kind of a jolt not to have it, especially with a tall rear end. I looked at a few options and in reality the OEM kit turned out to be very close to getting an aftermarket setup price wise, so I ordered the kit from my local dealer and had them install it. Thus I was able to get the lines in sync with the steering which a lot of the non-oem kits won't do, for basically the same price.

Once installed, the image was really small. I had the RA2 audio, and had been thinking about upgrading it - but as soon as I saw the small backup camera image, it pushed me over the edge to upgrade. The RA2 is a wide sceen and the image is square, kinda like watching SD tv on HDTV with the black bars :(.

EDIT - Longer writeup on the install and impressions here https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ra2-to-ra4-8-4an-upgrade-kit.124804/

LNdFmpcm.jpg

So I grabbed the 8.4 upgrade kit from infotainment.com. It was fairly expensive to be sure, but they do offer a mil discount, and with trading in my ra2 and also not having to purchase a window hang GPS, it offset the price quite a bit. I'll do a longer write-up on the install, but short version is I am very happy with the new setup. You can for sure get a better/nicer audio setup for the price by going aftermarket, but I'm not looking to go boom boom, just want a nicer audio experience while keeping all my truck/uconnect/etc functions in place.

pIWnTO1l.jpg

ybVBeq0l.jpg

jxWIAAHl.jpg
I have also considered doing this upgrade someday. Going to the link you shared, that is quite the astronomical pricing. You mentioned trading your ra2, I assume you had to call them about that? And it was probably a rebate once hey received it? If you don’t mind me asking, what was your final cost? I as well would not need the gps

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The pricing is high. Too high really, you can piece the parts together now days for quite a bit less. I see RA3/4 units going for $300-600 in the FS section pretty often. Figure the lower end of that if you don't want Nav.

Then get the correct correct 7sp bezel and controller, harness, and 911 plug, etc. All can be done much cheaper now than the infotainment kit. If I was doing it today, I would go this route.

here's a great DIY thread with tons's of info...
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/diy-2013-2017-ra3-ra4-8-4-radio-upgrade-hvac-conversion.135601/

That being said, at the time I was new to the RAM and not ready to delve into chasing parts, cables, etc and the kit made sense to me. Since I got 10% for military discount, and they gave me $250 for my RA2. It wound up being around $1150 for the advanced NAV RA4 head unit kit when it was all said and done. You could possibly do it for close to half that now if you fine a nice deal on a RA3 I would think. The RA3 package I think is 1199, so figure you can save several hundred for sure.

On the other hand, going with Infotainment route you pay more, but you will get a warranty (and I did use mine) everything will come in one box, so when it arrives you can be up and running within and hour or two. You have tech support they can walk you through any issues. And it's all Mopar brand, no off brand stuff.

Still, the self install kit is really the way to go now imo.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You should of just got a ram limited with all the bells and whistles

Well, bit of a snarky comment, but to be honest, you're not wrong. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably go for one of the upscale models. But sometimes folks have to temper there "want" with there "wallet" :).

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
VaraRam installed - nothing noteworthy here, looks the same as everyone else's lol. I might have trimmed a bit too much off the drivers side radiator cover or whatever it's called, but it's not a big deal. Does show how dirty the engine is though :eek:

fvZ2hBIh.jpg

A0Q3J7sh.jpg

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OEM Projectors with RetroShop Harness installed, as well as Sport LED Tailights :waytogo:

Y9zOwZ1l.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Love the build log!!!

so the interior LEDs still holding up?

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks! Yeah holding up fine, although to be honest, while looking cool they aren't that functional lol. Trying to read something for instance at night under blue light is not easy. But that's what cell phone flashlights are for now I guess :).

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
LOL...I will probably do white, but those are something I can get today :)

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Push To Start Conversion with Factory Remote Start installed! :waytogo:. Couple of odds n ends to clean up but she's a push button Old Dawg now! :D

uHZ32W5l.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Swapped out the Solid Fold for a Roll-N-Lock - Solid fold was leaking at the hinges a bit and to be honest was a bit of a pain to fold back with the increased height of the truck. Jury's still out on the RollNLock, I do like it better but it leaks a bit as well. I think the only way to have zero leaks is a hard top or shell I guess.

EDIT - ok fixed most of the leaking of the Roll-N-Lock - it didn't like having the bedrug tailate liner, and could not seal. Water would get in and just wick down the bedrug material. So I yanked that out (it was more of a pain anyway, stuff was always catching on the edges of it going in and out of the bed) and now I have very little leakage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Swapped in a Limited Console top I found on eBay for a nice deal... really nice update to the interior over that plastic lid IMO...

38hrB9Ul.jpg

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haven't updated the thread in a while - truth is I haven't made any mods lately. I would like to update the door panels to the Limited model versions, but they are hard to come by and when they do pop up they are insanely expensive. :(.

Also coming up on the end of my Warranty, so trying to decide if I want to add a tuner/pcm setup. I'm in my 50's now so not really chasing every oz of gofast anymore, but would like to the ability to turn MDS off. Just not sure the value is there. Maybe DiabloSport will have a BF sale ;).