2016 Laramie 1500 Air Suspension/FCA warranty service nightmare - Any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shredfever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l eco-diesel
First post; coming here to see if anyone has had similar experiences because I'm at my wit's end with this situation and I'm hoping someone here may have successfully navigated similar issues, or might have general advice on what route to escalate the situation next. Many thanks in advance to anyone who reads or responds.

I'll try to make a long story as short as I can; but the TL;DR is

- Air suspension failed
- Truck still covered under warranty
- Truck at dealership for 3 months with no resolution in sight
- Service Manager says they can't fix without add'tl parts that FCA won't authorize
- Dealership trying to get me to trade in, whereby losing trade value due to remainder of current loan balance, loss of payment for current extended warranty, etc.
- FCA corporate seems to be utterly indifferent to the truck ever getting fixed, honoring their warranty, losing a customer, or just operating a business in the worst possible way.
- Customer has no truck, no ability to drive it off the lot to trade in elsewhere, and seemingly no options other than to be bent over a barrel by FCA/dealership and extorted into buying a new truck, under bad terms.

If you're still reading;

I own a 2016 Laramie ecodiesel 1500 purchased new in Nov 2016, now has 60k miles. Truck is still under 100k powertrain warranty, and also has the remainder of 8 year/125k miles MVP Maxcare warranty through 2024. Truck has been great, no real problems until February when I get the "service air suspension immediately" message.

Air suspension will not actuate correctly, front end is in entry/exit height and won't lift, rear end is in normal and raises to offroad 1, after which I stop pressing buttons and drive to nearest dealership.

Truck has been at the dealership since February, where they have (according to them) replaced the ENTIRE air suspension system, and simply cannot get the suspension to function correctly. I had to get FCA corporate (now something called "Stellantis" apparently?) involved after the one month mark in order to get back ordered parts expedited.

After continual effort by the dealership techs, with remote assistance from FCA's "Star Team" engineers, they are still unable to get the truck to function properly on its' own. They say they can get it to work while controlling it with their computer, but the truck will not stay inflated on its' own, nor will all 4 wheels actuate correctly.

I've now been without the truck for three months, and the service Manager is telling me that they have essentially done everything they can do, and that FCA is not approving their request to authorize additional parts because the truck is apparently not showing the specific error code that FCA needs it to show in order to authorize said parts.

The service manager seems to have basically given up, and tells me that he's never seen an issue like this, or had to deal with FCA on one vehicle so extensively. He also told me that he's not even certain that the additional requested parts will solve the problem, and that once the air suspension systems fail, they generally have problems in perpetuity.

The dealership has offered me decent trade in terms to trade me out of the truck so they can be rid of the issue, but I still have a not huge, but not trivial (to me) balance on my current loan.

I've asked my case rep at FCA to offer some kind of assistance toward the deal on the new truck, or to just get the parts they need. She says she has escalated the issue but heard nothing.

Meanwhile, I still have no truck and no resolution.

Anyone have any ideas, or know any avenues I might take to help get some resolution?

Thanks for reading.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What does your sates lemon law offer if there is one? Only thing I can think of failing that is to get an attorney involved to file a lawsuit seeking fair compensation for the unfixable vehicle.

OP
OP
S

Shredfever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l eco-diesel
What does your sates lemon law offer if there is one? Only thing I can think of failing that is to get an attorney involved to file a lawsuit seeking fair compensation for the unfixable vehicle.

Thanks for responding. Lemon law only applies to first year or 12k. I have spoken briefly to an attorney, and it seems any suit for other comp can only be pursued after repair is completed and truck is discharged, and since they don’t seem to be able to fix it that is problematic. I’d so prefer not to need to go that route, and I can’t believe they’re operating in a way that requires me to even consider it. I love my truck and really just want it fixed, but they’re turning me from a brand ambassador into someone that would just as quickly tell someone to buy anything else. Sadly I guess that’s big corporate’s version of “customer care” in 2021.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Sorry to hear about your issues. I had a 2014 Bighorn V6 and it was a complete lemon. I bought the 100K warranty and it came in handy because I used it constantly. Truck was in the shop more than at home. Long story short, the service manager put me in the buy back program and FCA wrote me a check for $21K which basically paid off the reminder of the loan plus a few grand.

Of course it came with the caveat that I had to buy another RAM. So I ended up with a 2016 Longhorn (with air suspension) that has been pretty trouble free. Not perfect but OK.

I would have rather had the 2014 and a paid off truck to drive. But now I have a truck close to my dream truck and a payment. Sometimes you just have to move on and take a hit.

If the trade in is reasonable and they give you some break on another truck, I say to take it. I feel your pain and wish you best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thought - if you really like the rest of the truck, somehow get it back from the dealer and just dump the air suspension and convert to coils.

Its not that hard, stock coils and shocks are probably easy to find cheap (since so many people add lifts) and if you have access to an AlfaOBD setup you can make the truck like it would have come with coils from the factory (i.e. no warnings or CELs about missing air suspension)

I cant see them being upset if you say "I just want it back" without them actually fixing it, so while its probably not the best or cheapest option, it at least gets your truck back.

OP
OP
S

Shredfever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l eco-diesel
Sorry to hear about your issues. I had a 2014 Bighorn V6 and it was a complete lemon. I bought the 100K warranty and it came in handy because I used it constantly. Truck was in the shop more than at home. Long story short, the service manager put me in the buy back program and FCA wrote me a check for $21K which basically paid off the reminder of the loan plus a few grand.

Of course it came with the caveat that I had to buy another RAM. So I ended up with a 2016 Longhorn (with air suspension) that has been pretty trouble free. Not perfect but OK.

I would have rather had the 2014 and a paid off truck to drive. But now I have a truck close to my dream truck and a payment. Sometimes you just have to move on and take a hit.

If the trade in is reasonable and they give you some break on another truck, I say to take it. I feel your pain and wish you best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know there was such thing as a buy back program. Sounds like you were in a similar position to me re: loan balance. Were you still allowed to trade the truck twd the new one? Or were you in a position where all you had was the few grand left after the buyback? If FCA was willing to come to the table and offer me something reasonable off a new truck to offset some of my loan balance, I wouldn’t feel like I’m getting raked over the coals nearly as badly as I do now. I basically feel like they’re trying to get me to eat my equity and just fold it into a new loan like I just walked in with the intention of doing a trade in, at the worst time of year to do one, and in the middle of a massive car shortage where dealers aren’t marking anything down. The dealer’s trade in offer isn’t bad, but still leaves too much of a gulf on a comparable truck. I can’t understand why FCA doesn’t just step up and be reasonable to save a customer. I told them I wasn’t even looking for entire payoff, just to basically split it with me. So far I feel like I’m the only one offering any concessions, which seems incredibly backward to me.

OP
OP
S

Shredfever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l eco-diesel
Another thought - if you really like the rest of the truck, somehow get it back from the dealer and just dump the air suspension and convert to coils.

Its not that hard, stock coils and shocks are probably easy to find cheap (since so many people add lifts) and if you have access to an AlfaOBD setup you can make the truck like it would have come with coils from the factory (i.e. no warnings or CELs about missing air suspension)

I cant see them being upset if you say "I just want it back" without them actually fixing it, so while its probably not the best or cheapest option, it at least gets your truck back.

I have considered it, but only briefly as it’s pretty far outside my wheelhouse. I was concerned about how that would affect the CPU/error messages, etc. since the ride height adjustments are on the dash and all electronic. Also concerned about the further depreciation that might cause, though maybe not if I did a bit of a lift, since many people find that desirable. Definitely food for thought, and thank you again for replying.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have considered it, but only briefly as it’s pretty far outside my wheelhouse. I was concerned about how that would affect the CPU/error messages, etc. since the ride height adjustments are on the dash and all electronic. Also concerned about the further depreciation that might cause, though maybe not if I did a bit of a lift, since many people find that desirable. Definitely food for thought, and thank you again for replying.

No problem.

I know its been there forever and hope they have thought of it, but it is possible for the dealer to connect to the air suspension module and read codes. They won't necessarily trigger a CEL or warnings on the EVIC, but they will be stored for later review.

The last time I saw a long drawn out air suspension story like this, one of the height and/or temperature sensors was bad. A dealer worth their salt would know to scan the ASM separately to see the error message. They can also watch the data in real time to see what readings might be wacky.

The funny thing is that we can do the same thing with AlfaOBD....sometimes it seems like we're better at some techs jobs than the techs! Im not sure where you're located but it might not be a bad idea to reach out here on the forum for help. Heck if you are close to me I would help myself!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find a different unrelated dealer,they might have a competent mechanic working there, where you are I would not let them wash my truck. Or find an independent mechanic and dump the air ride, search prices for springs,hardware many have converted with success .bottem line is to get your truck away from the hostage takers.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know there was such thing as a buy back program. Sounds like you were in a similar position to me re: loan balance. Were you still allowed to trade the truck twd the new one? Or were you in a position where all you had was the few grand left after the buyback? If FCA was willing to come to the table and offer me something reasonable off a new truck to offset some of my loan balance, I wouldn’t feel like I’m getting raked over the coals nearly as badly as I do now. I basically feel like they’re trying to get me to eat my equity and just fold it into a new loan like I just walked in with the intention of doing a trade in, at the worst time of year to do one, and in the middle of a massive car shortage where dealers aren’t marking anything down. The dealer’s trade in offer isn’t bad, but still leaves too much of a gulf on a comparable truck. I can’t understand why FCA doesn’t just step up and be reasonable to save a customer. I told them I wasn’t even looking for entire payoff, just to basically split it with me. So far I feel like I’m the only one offering any concessions, which seems incredibly backward to me.

The way the buy back worked is they gave me:
Sticker price for my old truck
- $.25 / mile for mileage on it
+ retail for all my upgrades if I had a receipt

That left me with $21K that I could put toward the new truck after the loan was settled. And then I had to use the $21K toward a new RAM from their lot. The new RAM was at sticker price so not the greatest deal but it allowed me to get out from under the lemon I had and get a new Longhorn which I enjoy.

If I had stayed with buying another Bighorn V6 like I had it would have been a wash. FCA and dealers will not lose in the buy back. But it will allow someone to transfer their equity to a new truck.

Check with their service manager and ask about the FCA buy-back program. Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shredfever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l eco-diesel
Find a different unrelated dealer,they might have a competent mechanic working there, where you are I would not let them wash my truck. Or find an independent mechanic and dump the air ride, search prices for springs,hardware many have converted with success .bottem line is to get your truck away from the hostage takers.

This ended up being the key. Made them give me my truck back last week. Dropped it off at different dealership Friday, picked it up, fully repaired today which included an extra day of them driving the truck to be sure that it was fixed. They told me straight up that the “workmanship” at previous dealership was part of the problem. 3 months at one dealership with nothing but headaches, 3 days at another to get it fixed. Unbelievable.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This ended up being the key. Made them give me my truck back last week. Dropped it off at different dealership Friday, picked it up, fully repaired today which included an extra day of them driving the truck to be sure that it was fixed. They told me straight up that the “workmanship” at previous dealership was part of the problem. 3 months at one dealership with nothing but headaches, 3 days at another to get it fixed. Unbelievable.

And with that I would be raking them over the coals via Chrysler Corporate and/or the BBB. If an example isn’t made, then they will continue their ****** business practices and take advantage of unsuspecting customers for the foreseeable future.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Please contact corporate and let them know of the horrible experience, it was not service in any way.if enough customers complain to corporate may be someone will need a new job.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine

Happy for you that it turned out to be a dealer issue and not something unrepairable on your truck. Good luck with it and enjoy having it back.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Please name and shame the offensive dealership so others can avoid them like the plague.
Also give a shout out to the dealer who fixed the dealer the problem, other will want to use them too!!

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please name and shame the offensive dealership so others can avoid them like the plague.
Also give a shout out to the dealer who fixed the dealer the problem, other will want to use them too!!

^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And with that I would be raking them over the coals via Chrysler Corporate and/or the BBB. If an example isn’t made, then they will continue their ****** business practices and take advantage of unsuspecting customers for the foreseeable future.

Damn skippy on that one. Corporate needs to know for sure. Even then, it might not do any good, but someone might take notice and some action.

Would be worth getting on the problem dealers' social media (if they have one) and posting your experience. That should get someones attention.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
The way the buy back worked is they gave me:
Sticker price for my old truck
- $.25 / mile for mileage on it
+ retail for all my upgrades if I had a receipt

That left me with $21K that I could put toward the new truck after the loan was settled. And then I had to use the $21K toward a new RAM from their lot. The new RAM was at sticker price so not the greatest deal but it allowed me to get out from under the lemon I had and get a new Longhorn which I enjoy.

If I had stayed with buying another Bighorn V6 like I had it would have been a wash. FCA and dealers will not lose in the buy back. But it will allow someone to transfer their equity to a new truck.

Check with their service manager and ask about the FCA buy-back program. Good Luck.

Hey there,
Did you deal with the new Indian Trail Ram dealership?