2016 ram 1500 5.7 8 speed transmission shift issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmynrichie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so this has been an on going issue for the past 2 years that I have ignored which I know I shouldn't but I don't feel that it's something major. Basically what's happening is when I first start the truck and take off down the road the truck shifts 1-3 fine but once it tries to shift into 4th it attempts the shift but just jumps up in rpm's and then hard kicks back down to 3rd. If allow it to do this 3 times in a row it check engine comes on and goes into safety mode which locks it into 4th gear. I can bypass the issue by bringing the truck up to 45 to 50 mph with hard acceleration and let it coast into the gears without any problems. Once I've done this for the first time for the day it doesn't do it again unless I let the truck set for awhile then the process starts all over again. I drive all over the U.S for work so I really need to buckle down and get this truck fixed. I took it to a dealership and was told it was my bands but that's hard for me to believe and frankly don't trust the mechanics there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Hockenberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm have the same shifting issue with my 2016 1500. With the exception mine only does it one time but it sets all day then it will do it when I leave at night. I also took notice the throttle is dead when this happens. I have no check engine light no codes nothing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok, so this has been an on going issue for the past 2 years that I have ignored which I know I shouldn't but I don't feel that it's something major. Basically what's happening is when I first start the truck and take off down the road the truck shifts 1-3 fine but once it tries to shift into 4th it attempts the shift but just jumps up in rpm's and then hard kicks back down to 3rd. If allow it to do this 3 times in a row it check engine comes on and goes into safety mode which locks it into 4th gear. I can bypass the issue by bringing the truck up to 45 to 50 mph with hard acceleration and let it coast into the gears without any problems. Once I've done this for the first time for the day it doesn't do it again unless I let the truck set for awhile then the process starts all over again. I drive all over the U.S for work so I really need to buckle down and get this truck fixed. I took it to a dealership and was told it was my bands but that's hard for me to believe and frankly don't trust the mechanics there.

Any help would be greatly a
Any update ?

Doug Hockenberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I Finally got several codes for the transmission not shifting from 3rd to 4th. It's been at the dealership for a month. They are going to put an new transmission in. It's been ordered but the kicker is the tranny is backordered. they said it could take months to get a new one. The only good thing is it's under warranty.

OP
OP
J

Jimmynrichie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot I even created this post.

Update on the 2016 Ram 1500 :

I never got the transmission fixed! Still doing the same things. ‍

Only update is 4 months ago at 145,000 miles I had to get a new cam and lifters installed. There went the budget for the transmission to be fixed.