2016 ram 1500 5.7 pcm connector stuck on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. Just got the edge pulsar in the post tonight and when going to install I cannot remove the left pcm connector as if it is glued on. starts to flex the pcm if I pull any harder. Right connector came of quite easily. anyone experienced this before? I sent the woman to Canadian tire for another 10mm tool in the meantime, going to try to remove the pcm first then the other connector.

20180625_182352.jpg 20180625_182356.jpg 20180625_182352.jpg 20180625_182356.jpg 20180625_182358.jpg Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
PunisherFitness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just broke the housing not long ago. check engine light no start and airbag warnings along with radio locked

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang...sorry to see that and wish I could help! I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some good advice.

As your name implies, I see you really do work out!

TXCOMT

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Damn, that's a **** deal right there. A zip tie or two to secure the pigtail to the PCM as a temp fix may work. I have read of others breaking the clips going this route until a replacement is sourced. I was just reading a thank you post to Jay Greene on fb from someone that ordered new locking clips from him. Not pricey from what I read, no specific price mentioned in post, just that they were cheap enough to warrant buying extras as back-ups. Good luck getting her running in the mean-time. Now that the retaining clip has broken, were you able to pull the connector free?

Did you have the battery disconnected during the process?

https://www.facebook.com/greeneracing.tuning/

OP
OP
PunisherFitness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, that's a **** deal right there. A zip tie or two to secure the pigtail to the PCM as a temp fix may work. I have read of others breaking the clips going this route until a replacement is sourced. I was just reading a thank you post to Jay Greene on fb from someone that ordered new locking clips from him. Not pricey from what I read, no specific price mentioned in post, just that they were cheap enough to warrant buying extras as back-ups. Good luck getting her running in the mean-time. Now that the retaining clip has broken, were you able to pull the connector free?

Did you have the battery disconnected during the process?

https://www.facebook.com/greeneracing.tuning/

yes, battery was disconnected, must have been a loose connection as it starts now but check engine light won't come off even after disconnecting the battery for 10 mins. connector is still stuck on and cannot even pry off with a screw driver??

I'm gonna have to leave it alone and hope I can make it to work for a day or 2 until I can take it to the dealership. need to come up with a story as to why I'd be removing the pcm now. maybe cleaning the engine bay?

If I had Facebook or any social media I'd check it out.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Looks correct, worth the dice roll.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The 2 locating tabs popped out of the bottom part of the connector. Happens a lot and it’s a pain in the ass. You’ll notice the 2 slide tabs haven’t moved, they’re blue and green I believe.

Chances are there’s dirt/grime in the slide tabs channels. Line and compressed air will clean it out. Put the red roll lock back to the locked position and insert the top part of the connector back into the bottom. Making sure to slide the 2 locating tabs in first. Then rock the red roll lock back and forth to free the slide tabs.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The 2 locating tabs popped out of the bottom part of the connector. Happens a lot and it’s a pain in the ass. You’ll notice the 2 slide tabs haven’t moved, they’re blue and green I believe.

Chances are there’s dirt/grime in the slide tabs channels. Line and compressed air will clean it out. Put the red roll lock back to the locked position and insert the top part of the connector back into the bottom. Making sure to slide the 2 locating tabs in first. Then rock the red roll lock back and forth to free the slide tabs.

Pulled my Pulsar off today to take the truck in for recalls & an oil change. Everything went great till I got home & tried to reinstall the Pulsar, the PCM harness clips would not release... after quite a bit of cursing & failed attempts I decided to research & ran across this thread again. Excellent call regarding the lower locating tabs, that was the issue... Thanks for the info!

Btbaker22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Same thing happened to me last night, but both connectors stuck. One of the red switch arms broke, but after blowing out with an air gun, I was able to move the green and blue sliders with a screw driver.

Looks like the need to be pushed all the way down to release, but after pushing them down I still couldn’t budge the connectors from the PCM.

Frustrated and not wanting to man handle them anymore, I put everything back together and pouted as my Diablo Pulsar tuner still sits in a box.

Any further ideas on loosening these connectors? Electrically safe spray lube? Use a large pliers? I’m stumped.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am exactly in the same position
Removed my unlocked PCM to go to the dealership for my last warranty inspection and broke the red clip
The only way I could keep the connector on was to push it on and completely remove the two slide tabs
I’m going to try on sliding them both back in from the bottom
Only going to try when I’ve got extra Mouser part on hand
Just installed long tubes, with no codes, can’t wait for a custom tune
Watching to see what you come up with..

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Penetrating fluid and compressed air are the best ways, and don’t reef on it. The top piece will pop off really easy if you’re not careful.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Penetrating fluid and compressed air are the best ways, and don’t reef on it. The top piece will pop off really easy if you’re not careful.
Just normal penetrating oil?
I’m assuming the top piece of the PCM?
Sorry for the extra questions...

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, just any penetrating fluid will work. Spray it on the sides where the blue/green sliders are.
This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. Should you hit them with the penetrating oil first or
the compressed air??

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What I usually do is, blow them out, hit it with the penetrating fluid. Let it sit a minute. Then blow it out again.

Then if they’re still kinda stuck, just slowly work the release tab back and forth to free it.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I usually do is, blow them out, hit it with the penetrating fluid. Let it sit a minute. Then blow it out again.

Then if they’re still kinda stuck, just slowly work the release tab back and forth to free it.
Thank you sir, just getting ready to try and make my Pulsar install a satisfying one....

Btbaker22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ll try using the penetrating fluid tomorrow. Hopefully I can get these off, as i’ve Literally tried everything minus breaking the housing.