2016 Ram 1500 Battery dead, instrument cluster on after replacement...related to recent head unit upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QuincyRich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having issue with my 2016 Ram 1500. Replaced OEM battery Feb22 with Interstate battery. This past Sunday, it was dead. Still under warranty, so replaced by AAA for no charge. 6pm Sunday evening, 3 hours after replacement, I noticed speedo and tach backlight on. Has never happened before. Started looking at this forum, pulled fuse F49, light went off. Walked away. Drove truck Tuesday for short errands, no issue. Put fuse back.

Tried to leave yesterday and battery dead. Not stone dead but not enough to crank.

I don't think alternator is bad. Been reading about TIPM issues. Hesitant to replace without knowing for sure since it is $300 plus for new one. Truck is totally stock except for Stinger Heigh10 head unit installed in December. I called them yesterday to ask if anyone else has same issue, they say no.

Can anyone help? I don't want to go to dealer and pay arm & leg for diagnostics and no fix.

Thursday AM Followed instructions to tie battery cables together to drain system. Let sit for 30 minutes. Jump started, ran fine. Drove for 45 minutes including highway speed. Got home, shut off truck and could hear clicking noise coming from TIPM and near throttle body. Took to mechanic but could not replicate clicking although showed him video. Let sit overnight, today, Friday, started truck and got Service Electronic Throttle Control error. Drove for 30 minutes, no issues, no hesitation. Now back, and speedo and tach still lit after parked and locked for 1 hour.

Any help is appreciated.