2016 Ram 1500 hemi limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryantdoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have searched all over the internet and cannot find anyone with the same symptoms that I am having.

Starting about 2 years ago, I came home from deployment and my pickup was stuck in 3rd gear. CEL and traction control light were on. Cruise control did not work. cleared the codes and reset PCM via disconnecting the battery. Threw itself back into limp mode every couple months since. recently it has gotten worse and it happens everytime I drive it. As a results, i clear the codes (P1DD2, U0402, U0001, and a cam sensor code) on a daily basis. I have since replaced the cam sensor.

From the research i have done on the code, it is either the TCM, ECM, or PCM. If they werent $600 a piece i would just replace all of them. The biggest thing is that on Mopar parts website i cant find a TCM for a 5.7 Hemi, they are all for the ecodiesel. I see a valve body that has the whole deal, but I dont know that that is the right part.

I guess my first question is if anyone has had anything like this happen to them? and secondly, does this pickup even have a TCM?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
p1DD2 explained

Looks like your Transmission is not communicating with your PCM

possibly rodents chewed on the wires

OP
OP
B

bryantdoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right! And that’s where I’m at digging into this. I just can’t figure out why it’s not. I have check all the wiring and what not, doesn’t seem to be an issue. With that being said, I think it is one of the modules mentioned in the thread, just trying to figure out which one.

And if my truck even has a TCM, If so where? And where can I find the part?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Right! And that’s where I’m at digging into this. I just can’t figure out why it’s not. I have check all the wiring and what not, doesn’t seem to be an issue. With that being said, I think it is one of the modules mentioned in the thread, just trying to figure out which one.

Just throwing this out there, but have you load tested your battery? How old is your battery? What I've read here in the forums is these trucks electronics are sensitive to a weak battery and cause all kinds of codes/issues to pop up.

I haven't had issues with my five year old battery yet, but when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree I'll know what the culprit might be.

I've learned a lot here in the forums reading all the good info.
I'm just making a suggestion for a more simple place to start from

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

It's inside the transmission,hit up Benny he's a Mopar vendor on here, you should be able to find him in the vendor section.You might be able to find a used one,as the last time i looked into buying a new TCM,it was cheaper to buy a complete used 8 speed

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
on 3rd Gen Rams, the TCM is between the air filter & the firewall

the video that i saw showed the guy fighting some wires

Maybe he did not know that the whole air filter box lifts out, just needs a good jerk

This video shows how to trouble shoot U0001, on a Chrysler

OP
OP
B

bryantdoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just throwing this out there, but have you load tested your battery? How old is your battery? What I've read here in the forums is these trucks electronics are sensitive to a weak battery and cause all kinds of codes/issues to pop up.

I haven't had issues with my five year old battery yet, but when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree I'll know what the culprit might be.

Battery is less than 2 years old and it was doing this before I replaced it. That’s where I started haha thank you for your input though!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Battery is less than 2 years old and it was doing this before I replaced it. That’s where I started haha thank you for your input though!

@Wild one and @GTyankee are two very knowledgeable fellers following your post and hopefully they can help you resolve your trucks issue.

I've driven RAM trucks a long time and I'm fortunate that I haven't had any serious/strange issues ...ha! ... knocking on wood! But I know where to go to find the answers if something pops up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one and @GTyankee are two very knowledgeable fellers following your post and hopefully they can help you resolve your trucks issue.

I've driven RAM trucks a long time and I'm fortunate that I haven't had any serious/strange issues ...ha! ... knocking on wood! But I know where to go to find the answers if something pops up.
Baffle them with bull****t,lol

Jeffrey D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope you got it solved. I suddenly have the same problem. Whenever I disconnect the neg battery terminal, the code clears, and truck goes into all gears, runs perfectly. Well almost. It's got 230k miles on it. Turn it off and it throws a code and stays in limp mode. Dealership shrugs their shoulders and says it will take some time to figure out...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One thing about LIMP mode
at some point, that light will begin Flashing
then your vehicle may STOP

OP
OP
B

bryantdoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took it the the dealer and I might as well have just tossed 200 into the fire.

Took it to a hometown shop and they actually dug into it and found that it was a bad connection to cam sensor, bad cam sensor, and bad crank sensor! Went from replacing transmission (6200) to $800. I hope this helps somebody because I’ve searched to wits end to get this far.