2016 RAM 2500 5.7 Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ECantu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi! I just got a transmission problem in my 2016 Ram 2500 5.7. I was driving on the freeway and after a curve suddenly lost all power, it was like if the transmission was in neutral, no sounds, no leaks, no burning smell or anything, it just went dead. I pulled over and it didn't let me put it in park, screen showed a message "speed too high to move to parking" or something like that. After a few minutes the shifter let me put it in parking and I was able to shut down the engine, even when the shifter marked parking, the truck moved like it was in neutral. After cooling down it re-engaged gears but shifted very quickly and with a banging noise. The truck was towed to the shop, they scanned it and got a few codes for the transmission P215C-00 and P1DB6-00. After discarding any sensor/electrical issues they're telling me transmission has to go out and rebuild/replaced. Any thoughts?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you ever serviced it?
Our 8spd transmissions are known to run hot.
I would also consider the caulk04 transmission cooler upgrade to keep the temps 20 to 30 degree lower than stock.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ECantu,

I have a 2016 2500 5.7 also with 146K. We have the 66RFE (6 speed) and not the ZF 8 speed (I believe the 2019+ 6.4 have a modified version of that transmission). P215C = output shaft speed sensor. P1DB6 = input / output speed sensor error. Couple of questions:

1. How many miles?
2. When was the transmission serviced last?

I would take it to another shop to get a second opinion before doing a full transmission rebuild. Might be as simple as replacing the sensor. I read another person saying that his got destroyed and came out in pieces.

Mopar 4800879 (I believe this is it but double check).​