2016 Ram 2500 6.7L Launch shutter when towing 5th wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverback69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins. I pull a 37ft 5th wheel that weighs approx. 12,000lbs. When taking off from dead start, their is a very noticeable shaking vibration until you reach about 10mph. The truck has been doing this every since I bought it in 2017. I took it to a Dodge dealer (with trailer attached) and they drove the truck and said it was torque shutter and changed torque converter. Did not fix. Next they changed drive shaft. Did not fix. Next they changed whole transmission. Did not fix. Finally after a factory rep looked at it they said it was something about the pinion angle and there was nothing else they could do. This went to arbitration and they sided with Dodge of course. I now have 81,000 miles and it tows great once you get past the initial shutter. I take off very gently as not to shake it very much. Has anyone else had this problem. Oh. I forgot to mention that my truck is a 2WD not 4WD.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did they reflash it when they did the work to the transmission? I know it seems to be a common thing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know much about your transmission, but
I drove some 10 wheel, 3 axle trucks that had a Allison automatic transmission in it.

Even though it was an automatic, when anyone was pulling out of a job site & it was loaded, we started off in First gear to get it rolling, then we shifted into 2nd, then 3rd, if we had to climb a hill, we would shift into 4th, 5th & 6ths.
If we were on flat ground, we watched the Tachometer, we could shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd then 4th into the 6th position & the transmission would shift automatically.
If we were loaded & coming up on a traffic stop, we would downshift to save on brakes.

So i suggest that you help your transmission & manually shift when pulling a medium to heavy trailer

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My neighbor's truck does that under load but he has the 6 spd stick. In his case I keep telling him they didn't line up the clutch properly when he had it replaced.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963