2016 Ram 2500 Air Bag Rear Suspension, 4 Wheel Drive, Laramie Longhorn.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MillerTime802

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have an overload icon that periodically appears on my dash when towing my toy hauler. I took the trailer specs to the dealer when i purchased the truck and they said i'd have no issues pulling the rig. I consulted with the dealer after the warning light first turned on, they checked out the system reporting all's well....and the suspension was okay for my 5th wheel. However, they don't know why the warning light continues to (periodically) turn on while towing. BTY, it'll turn off the light while towing sometimes too.....like on my current trip.

Does anyone have specific information relating to the air bag suspension system? I'm in search for specific specifications on all components of the air bag system...such as...MFG of bags and weight specs, air pump, air pump to bag lines, etc. I've discussed with the dealer, but they don't appear to have specific info or knowledge about the system they'd like to share with me.

I realize I'm a bit heavy for my 4 wheel drive, non-duly truck. I'd consider upgrading it's load carrying capacity to give me more wiggle room...fully understanding what that may mean....but without purchasing a new vehicle....which is the purpose of my investigative task with the rear suspension. Comments welcome.

Here's what I'm towing:

2017 Cyclone 3611 JS. GVWR 17,000#, Dry weight 15,305#, Hitch Weight 3,485.
The Ram hauls this just fine....as evidenced by my last trip through Colorado's mountains.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You’re overloaded. The highest available payload for a 2500 is a reg cab 4x2 with 6.4 at 3990 lbs. the same truck with diesel is 3160 lbs.
You didn’t mention if you’re long box(base 2200) or short box(base 2380), but being a Laramie Longhorn you can probably take 200-250 more off that number. What does your door sticker say for payload capacity?

In short you’re dropping 3900lbs of hitch on a truck with a ~1900 lb payload capacity. Wether or not we all think the 2500 is de-rated to stay under the 10,001lb class limit doesn’t matter to the monitoring system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluefishgary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You need to get some real weights. Go to a scale weight truck, then weight truck and trailer. I think you will be suprised!!!! You’re overloaded!!!!! Rember you can not change the payload rateing of you truck. Payload is everything you put in truck, fifth wheel hitch, people, water in trailer food and toys you add.
Yes the diesel will pull it fine,I think your in DUALLY country.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Part of me wants to say wtf. The icon you're seeing exists to tell you if you're overloaded or not, yet, you're asking if you've overloaded. That's literally why the light exists... to tell you this. There is absolutely nothing you can do to the truck to increase your capacity. Springs, bigger bags, better bags, better compressors, etc, none of it will increase your payload, or towing capacity in any way. Based on the numbers, you're very close to your max payload / towing capacity as it is. You said your weights wet, but how many people are in the truck when you do tow it? If you have two adults, two kids, a dog, or just some stuff in the bed / cab of the truck, you'll easily go over your payload on that truck with that hitch weight. I think Bluefishgary is right, you're getting into dually country with what you got.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Probably a long shot, but my father in-law actually had a third axle added to help take some hitch weight off.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hate to pile on but a 15,000# dry weight trailer is totally overloaded with a SRW truck. I'm generally a defender of 2500 series trucks since they are the exact same truck as a 3500. This is more of an overloading of axles and tires than a 2500 v 3500 debate. As someone mentioned, get to the scales and get some real weights.

I strongly suspect you will find you are over RAWR and tire ratings in which case it's a totally dangerous setup. If it's the picture in your avatar I fear the worst. That truck is screaming for help.

Keep in mind the 2 different but equally important parts of towing - carrying the weight and pulling the weight. The Cummins is more than up to the task of pulling. The truck just isn't up the task of carrying the pin weight along with everything else in the truck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agree with the others. My 2017 6.4, 4x4 short bed tradesman has a payload just north of 3100 lbs. You have a higher optioned truck and a diesel so your payload is somewhere in the low 2000s. Your likely over your payload limit by a whole lot, over 1,000 lbs probably. A 15,000 dry rig is diesel DRW territory.

Your options are a smaller rig or 3500 drw truck.

Just my .02.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
That’s a big ole trailer.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Agree with the others, either buy another trailer, or trade the truck in.

OP
OP
MillerTime802

MillerTime802

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks all for your input. I’ll hit the scales and see what ballpark I’m playing in. I usually have nothing in the back seat and nothing in the bed if the truck. I store nothing of weight in the forward RV storage bin as well as in the bedroom at the pin. I keep my weight over the axles or in the garage.

I love this truck so I’d beef up the rear suspension and rear end if possible. Problem I currently have is discovering the difference between the 2500 and the four wheel 3500, not dually version. New truck could be in the cards too.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is no "beefing it up" I'm all for using a truck slightly overloaded but you are beyond what a single rear wheel truck can handle.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk