2016 RAM 2500 TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobnap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2016 2500 I purchased used last March. it had aftermarket wheels on it at the time of purchase and the low pressure light was on and TPMS showed blanks for tire pressure for all tires. I assumed whoever put the aftermarket wheels on didn’t install sensors. I just had the truck in for an oil change and to have several recalls addressed. When I got the truck back the TPMS was showing actual tire pressures for all wheels all reading between 37-38 if I remember correctly. The actual pressure in the tires is in the 55 lb range. I’m assuming the dealer did a software update to address one of the recalls and this must have done something to the TPMS. Now when I start the car I get the TPMS message blinking and showing inaccurate pressure for all tires as well as the little orange low pressure light. I’d like to figure out if there’s a way to get back to where I only see the little orange low pressure light like it used to as the blinking display is annoying.

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks.

Bob

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's weird. Sounds like they tapped into the BCM to reset it or update it as part of the recalls.

I'd take it back to the dealer and talk to the tech or your service advisor.

They may not be able to reverse the the update and if so, one solution would be to install a sensor in each wheel. Dorman makes replacement sensors for your truck so you don't have to pay full dealer retail for a set.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What recalls were done? There was a recall that involved replacing all 4 tire pressure sensors?

OP
OP
B

bobnap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the input. The recalls performed were:
  • Reprogram of powertrain module
  • Tailgate latch
  • Occupant restraint control module
  • Transmission solonoid pack (part on order)
Since I assumed there were no sensors in the wheel when I purchased the truck I made the dealer give me 4 sensors at no cost with the plan to install them when I need tires. I will contact my service advisor next week to see what he thinks.

Thanks.

Bob

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
None of those recalls should effect the TPMS system. It’s controlled by the RF hub which.

Killingsworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine have been doing something similar. Had OEM wheels and tires put on with TPMS. Took forever but they finally started reading (like 100 miles or so later). Read fine for 500 miles, then stopped reading again about two weeks ago. Frustrating.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It's possible that the updates "Reset" the rf hub and now is reading the tire pressure. If you have manually checked the tire pressure and it's the same as what the truck is showing than most likely that's what happened. HD truck's require something around 60-65 psi in the front and 80 in the rear. Since your tires are only rated for 55 obviously you can't me the threshold. I'm not a 100% sure if on a 16 the dealer can still lower the thresholds or not but a lot of people on here have had luck doing it themselves. You'll need a obdlink mx/+ ($80-100) either a windows laptop or tablet or any android phone/tablet (can pick up a kindle fire HD 7 new for $50 on Amazon), and the Alphaobd app/program (Google play store or website for $50). You can also program just about anything factory option also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

bobnap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. Tire pressure was approx 55 for all tires and readings are 38 on 3 tires and 1 at 37. I tried 2 things. First I aired up to specs in door. 60 front , 80 rear. No change in readings so then I disconnected battery to see if that would reset and still no change. I’m going to call the service advisor tomorrow to see if he has any ideas.

Bob

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The tech did something it looks like.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you driven around since you aired up the tires, it takes a little while for them to adjust. Tech may of saw they weren't working and reset them.

OP
OP
B

bobnap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Red

I have driven but not a lot. Maybe 10 miles or so. I don’t drive much during the week since I commute via train to work but I’ll have to make a point of going on a bit of a longer drive to see if it changes anything.

Bob

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah they should update by then, when one of mine failed it took close to 100 before it would just show dashes. But the dealer could wake it back up and would only read like 34lbs

It's possible they have all failed low but that's pretty unlikely

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have an appointment tomorrow with my dealership to try and program in my new sensors. It's been ~3 months since I've had sensors in communication with my truck. I was going to wait until I received the security bypass harness and try to set reflash the rf hub and see if the truck would learn them. But I want the light off and the tpms working until I can lower the thresholds and see in the spring in the original sensors will be read when I put my other tires on.

OP
OP
B

bobnap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So quick update. The little orange low pressure indicator is on but there are no longer any pressure readings for any of the wheels, just dashes. I’m thinking that there are no sensors in the wheels and that, as was suggested earlier in this thread, the tech tried to reset and that resulted in temporary, inaccurate pressure readings from all wheels.

Bob

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So quick update. The little orange low pressure indicator is on but there are no longer any pressure readings for any of the wheels, just dashes. I’m thinking that there are no sensors in the wheels and that, as was suggested earlier in this thread, the tech tried to reset and that resulted in temporary, inaccurate pressure readings from all wheels.

Bob

Most garages should have a device that can at least read if there are sensors in your wheels. And some will have the ability to read the sensor ID'S. Your dealership should have had to read the Id's to program them in.