2016 Ram 2500 transmission shift problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelogolf2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I got an engine problem code on my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins 4wheel drive while towing my 5th wheel. It started running at higher revs with less power and wouldn’t shift back to a higher gear once I reached 60-65 mph. I stopped for fuel and the transmission returned to normal operation once I got back on the road. The dealer I took it to said it was a transmission control code but couldn’t find anything wrong. Their advice was to drive it and hope the code doesn’t happen again or get a new transmission! It happened twice more on my trip home and corrected temporarily each time I resumed driving. Is there some type of transmission control module that could be replaced? The transmission works properly until the code happens so the new transmission option seems kind of extreme. Any advice would be appreciated.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I got an engine problem code on my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins 4wheel drive while towing my 5th wheel. It started running at higher revs with less power and wouldn’t shift back to a higher gear once I reached 60-65 mph. I stopped for fuel and the transmission returned to normal operation once I got back on the road. The dealer I took it to said it was a transmission control code but couldn’t find anything wrong. Their advice was to drive it and hope the code doesn’t happen again or get a new transmission! It happened twice more on my trip home and corrected temporarily each time I resumed driving. Is there some type of transmission control module that could be replaced? The transmission works properly until the code happens so the new transmission option seems kind of extreme. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah, it's probably the infamously unreliable valve body in the RFE transmissions. The power train in the transmission is very reliable (sans overdrive clutches), the valve body was poorly designed. It flexes, leaks, and hunts.

Presuming you don't have an infinite extended warranty Ram used to offer, there are aftermarket robust valve bodies, depending on availability. Sonnax is sold on Summit Racing and Rock Auto, RevMax is only through RevMax, to my knowledge.

Notably, RevMax uses Sonnax components, so I'd suggest going straight to Sonnax. You can read about all they do. If you can find one, get the one that also replaces the solenoid - this was unreliable also.

Replacing your valve body REQUIRES a PCM re-learn. Be prepared for this. I didn't get a VB because I'd already tuned my PCM, and didn't want to have to re-do everything. I'm hoping my valve body lasts by (1) reducing trans oil temp from getting rid of the thermostat restriction in the oil cooler line; and (2) changing oil frequently, now upgrading to Red Line +C ATF.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We regret to see that you're having these concerns with your truck. If you're thinking of having this looked at by your dealer, let us know. We're available via direct message and can help with this process.

Callie
Ram Cares

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You haven't already, you need to start with seeing what code was set. Never recommend to start randomly throwing parts at something based on what you have said.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many miles on the truck ? Was the transmission ever serviced ?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Need to know what the code is for starters.... Without that it's just a guessing game.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When it's acting up it is likely going into "limp mode" and shutting the truck on/off will reset it. When in limp mode it will only run in gears 1 and 4 which would explain the "wouldn't shift back to a higher gear" you report in your first post.

Unfortunately, these RFE trannys aren't immune from problems and they often don't throw codes when things go wrong so consider yourself lucky yours is. I've been through two failures on my 66RFE (Hemi) and only got one code after the tranny had obviously blown up and I had to limp it off the freeway. I had lost all forward gears and was backing it out of traffic into a parking lot and almost comically when I came to rest the CEL light came on... LOL. Yeah, thanks.... I know :) :)