2016 Ram 3500 DRW Factory Air Suspension Features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OurTimeToRV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with the factory auto leveling suspension. I’m trying to locate authentic Ram materials on the features of the air suspension. Specifically, I’m trying to find out if the suspension levels side to side as well as front to back. I’ve done a lot of searching and have found various “opinions” indicating Yes it does level side to side and No it does not. My experience is No it does not. Some opinions suggests that if you evenly distribute weight you shouldn’t care. And while that’s an idealistic and less realistic approach, I have recently transition from a 5th wheel RV to a truck camper and do not have any control over the built-in imbalance that exists with the camper design. Relocating contents will only do so much to help. So, I’m trying to get bonified info to use with my dealer to address my need before I consider more aggressive/involved/expensive options. I don’t want to rely on my dealer for info, because as we all know, they will often tell you what you want to hear vs what you need to hear.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with the factory auto leveling suspension. I’m trying to locate authentic Ram materials on the features of the air suspension. Specifically, I’m trying to find out if the suspension levels side to side as well as front to back. I’ve done a lot of searching and have found various “opinions” indicating Yes it does level side to side and No it does not. My experience is No it does not. Some opinions suggests that if you evenly distribute weight you shouldn’t care. And while that’s an idealistic and less realistic approach, I have recently transition from a 5th wheel RV to a truck camper and do not have any control over the built-in imbalance that exists with the camper design. Relocating contents will only do so much to help. So, I’m trying to get bonified info to use with my dealer to address my need before I consider more aggressive/involved/expensive options. I don’t want to rely on my dealer for info, because as we all know, they will often tell you what you want to hear vs what you need to hear.
You can try checking over at HDRams site or in the 4th Gen section here. I haven't seen anything in that indicates any type of side to side leveling.

One of the things that I have seen is the addition of anti-sway bars (aftermarket) that have been added to control the side to side roll with a slide-in truck camper.

I believe Hellwig has an aftermarket setup that only works with the diesel 3500s.

I do not know if this is going to help you out much, but something to consider.

OP
OP
OurTimeToRV

OurTimeToRV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thx for the info and other places to look. I think I've been there, but will look again. I've also reached out to Dodge Ram directly and will post any info I get from them for anyone to leverage. As well, I already installed Hellwig's beefiest sway bar. It helps with the side to side sway, but not the sagging that comes from my truck camper being heavier on the passenger side.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You'll have to read up on it because its alot to speak about here but, you can re calibrate and put in the values to set the ride height. I haven't done it but heres a couple screen grabs.
Screenshot_20220501-080703_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20220501-080715_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20220501-080308_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20220501-080405_AlfaOBD.jpg

OP
OP
OurTimeToRV

OurTimeToRV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is super interesting stuff, especially if ride height can be adjusted side to side. Unfortunately for me, it only operates on Android phones and Windows computers. I'll have to look into this further. Thx for the info.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This is super interesting stuff, especially if ride height can be adjusted side to side. Unfortunately for me, it only operates on Android phones and Windows computers. I'll have to look into this further. Thx for the info.

You can buy a cheap Android tablet from Amazon. I use my phone for AlphaOBD but tablets are an option. Plus once set up you can monitor other parameters, check for codes, copy fobs, turn on features like foglights staying on with high beams ect.... all kinds of stuff!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I hope if you follow through with the AlphaOBD you can find the time to update how you make out. I have a Limited and opted out of the factory air to add my own with an onboard air system I designed. My fathers though came with factory air. He wanted to lower the back so I found a company that offered adjustable turnbuckle for the sensors. When he first put them on it was off a little side to side so he did play with the adjustment to get it dialed in. May be another option for you. Can't remember where I found them but they weren't cheap.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I'm on my 3rd Truck Camper. I recently added a Hellwig rear sway bar to my truck. Highly recommended. Much reduced that side to side movement and going around sweeping bends in the road lean. Lots of dirt roads up north in Michigan and the Hellwig has been a noticeable upgrade. I don't notice a side to side leveling issue. If I had a heavier camper like a Lance 855S I probably would.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm on my 3rd Truck Camper. I recently added a Hellwig rear sway bar to my truck. Highly recommended. Much reduced that side to side movement and going around sweeping bends in the road lean. Lots of dirt roads up north in Michigan and the Hellwig has been a noticeable upgrade. I don't notice a side to side leveling issue. If I had a heavier camper like a Lance 855S I probably would.

Read post 3

OP
OP
OurTimeToRV

OurTimeToRV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, I am posting this response to my own inquiry after having an email exchange with Dodge Ram Tech regarding my inquiry with the intent to make it available for others to find, as needed. This is what they told me.

“The air suspension system is a rear leveling ride height system. The main purpose of this system is to maintain the truck’s rear ride height level.

According to available information, the rear air suspension system does not control each rear air suspension spring independently; therefore, the air suspension system does not provide side to side leveling.

Unfortunately, the maximum rear air suspension system capacity information you are seeking is either unavailable or considered proprietary; therefore, we are unable to assist you with this request.”