2016 Ram ******* Cracking Noise after shutdown.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My ram 2016 2500 cummins is making a random "cracking" noise when I shut the truck off. Its random but about 20-30 seconds for up to 5 minutes after I turn the truck off.

Not a ticking sound but a "crack" sound. It is somewhere near the turbo but I cannot isolate the noise very well. Its not a "ping" not a "tick". Its a "Crack" and you can hear it from 20 yards away easily.

I am 100% deleted and straight piped from the turbo back with only a muffler in the way.

Truck is running fine but can anyone help diagnose this cracking sound?

Maybe I have a loose bolt where the exhaust hooks to the turbo?

It is only doing it when it is hot and it still does it when the battery is disconnected.

Oil Levels are good.
Trans fluid is good
Coolant levels are good.
Truck has 178,000 miles on it and I baby the truck. I rarely tow anything heavy.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't have a clue but would think a loose bolt on the exhaust/turbo connection you would hear a exhaust leak (louder truck) when running?

Is it like a fluid is pouring on something hot type of crackling/sizzling? I know my AC condensation drips around that area of the truck so wonder if it's dripping on your exhaust or something?

OP
OP
Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There is no leak while running and there is no coolant dripping.