2016 Ram EcsoDiesel goes up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Has the Kalifornia Gestapo swung by your house and cited you for illegal burning and contributing to air pollution yet.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
REALLY???

Name one brand that has never had a vehicle go up in flames. From the lowly Yugo to the high end Mercedes and everything in between - they have all had a carbecue!
In recent years or in the last 40?? Because cars have come a long way since then . Or are you going to throw pinto in as well? Lol

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Had to jump in on this. #1 Ford eco's burn up all the time. Talk to your dealer, and service manager, be firm. Ram cares is hard to get any satisfaction or direct answers. Be come the worlds biggest pain. Same with your insurgence co. And talk to a lawyer.

Lynn Lindsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to find out if anyone else has ever heard of a 2016 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel going up in flames with no warning?

2 weeks ago, on the drive to work, my 2016 Eco Diesel lost power at 65MPH on Freeway. I tried to accelerate as the truck was still running, but no power, so I pulled to the shoulder, but as I was doing so, I noticed dark smoke behind the truck (saw smoke in side mirrors) . When I stopped on the shoulder, I pulled hood release and got out to raise hood, but by that time there was dark smoke coming from under hood, so I moved away from truck and within 2 minutes the entire front half of the truck was fully engulfed in flames.
I had never experienced any issues with the truck to this point, as I purchased new in 2016 and it has been the best truck I had ever owned to that point. I loved the power and the fuel economy, pulling both travel trailer and 16ft cargo trailer over 70 times a year. I had approx. 65K miles on the truck and up to that point had never experienced any engine related issues.
So I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do? who do I contact at FAC and if I do, will they even care. This was the first RAM truck that I had ever purchased, as I had always owned Chevy truck prior to purchasing this 2016 Ram Eco Diesel.
Now I see that in 2018 and in 2019, Ram does not offer the Eco Diesel as an option, so what's up with that? If there something that I should have known? I never received any engine or powertrain related recalls.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as now I'm without a truck and I'm probably going to pay $10K to $20K out of pocket to get back into a new RAM 2500, with the cummings i6 Diesel, because would never think of purchasing another Ram Eco Diesel after the experience I had 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 163734

View attachment 163735
A person down the road from me had one catch fire about two years ago .

incupunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Had to jump in on this. #1 Ford eco's burn up all the time. Talk to your dealer, and service manager, be firm. Ram cares is hard to get any satisfaction or direct answers. Be come the worlds biggest pain. Same with your insurgence co. And talk to a lawyer.

Have to agree with Raymond on this one. You and your family's life could have been (were?) in great danger with this fire. Make them take care of you.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can file a formal complaint about the RAM loss and the reason. They are required by law to respond and perform an investigation into vehicle fires. Also notify NTSB of the incident, that will also stimulate some actions. Good luck.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sux, good that you are okay.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
your auto insurance should cover fire-mine does-and then let the insurance company go after FAC-let them pay for the lawyers. Your ins. rates should not change.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you haven't already done it, have your insurance adjuster look at the vehicle and see if he can determine the cause. Your power train warranty goes to 5 years/100K miles. If there is any evidence of a covered failure you should be able to get some help from FCA. As an aside note, I carry a 10# fire extinguisher in my truck. You never know when it may come in handy.....sorry for your loss. I have a 2016 with 85000 miles and haven't experienced any issues.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Truck would be old enough to have a metal fatigue issue with the fuel line or injector feed that could result in fuel being sprayed on the engine block and igniting. I would have thought though that shutting off the engine would have stopped the flow of fuel to the engine compartment.

Twice I had electrical shorts that would have caused a fire and the destruction the truck. First time I was able to disconnect the battery terminals as I had a small Crescent wrench in the cab. Second time I used the fire extinguisher which I also had in the cab. I consider both items to be essential items and would sooner leave the jack and spare tire at home.

I had a fuel leak from a poorly installed alcohol stove on a sailboat and it sprayed fuel and nothing is worse than a fire on a boat where one cannot step off it and wait for help (especially in the waters of San Francisco Bay). Used a dry chemical extinguisher to put out the fire and it made quite a mess. Fortunately I had chartered the large boat for an office function and could return it to the dock and let someone else deal with the mess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn