2016 Rebel towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice ride and camper! We originally went to get a bigger 26' camper, and even started the paperwork on it, but didn't finalize it that day. After we got home and I realized I should check the payload, that's when I saw how low the sticker said and we decided to go with a pop-up instead. Obviously didn't curb my concerns completely, though, haha. But thanks again!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you’re really concerned, find some scales to run over with the whole family in the truck. That will tell you what you’re actually working with. Since you have the air suspension, worry less about the “payload” number, and more about axle/tire ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you’re really concerned, find some scales to run over with the whole family in the truck. That will tell you what you’re actually working with. Since you have the air suspension, worry less about the “payload” number, and more about axle/tire ratings.
^^^^ this
Run the truck over the scales without the trailer, make note of your front axle weight, then load up the trailer and weigh it again. Use a WDH to to replace the weight you loss on the front axle.

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll track down a place around here that has a scale. Thanks, everyone.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Off topic from this thread, but speaking of using Cat Scales.....I stopped by the one by the track this morning in order to weigh my truck and trailer.....operator said my truck’s too light....it wouldn’t register anything. ?????

Is this normal??

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I stopped by the one by the track this morning in order to weigh my truck and trailer.....operator said my truck’s too light....it wouldn’t register anything. ?????

Is this normal??

What type of scale was it? Did it weight the whole truck and trailer at once or was it a per axle scale?
I've seen print outs from CAT scales weighing just a 1500 where the front axle was only 3200 lbs and the rear was 2900, there isn't anything that light on any semi truck...lol

-Yeti-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't have the patience to read the above. Here's the scoop if you want to stay DOT legal and do your own numbers.

RAM did use the SAE J2807 standard when calculating payload. (In your case I would guess you'll be fine but do your own math - Scales are always a good idea)
For trailers over 5000 pounds, RAM recommends a Weight Distribution hitch. (it is a waste and additional hitch weight for anything lighter than 5000 pounds ~65 pounds for the WDH)
Use the numbers on the inside of your door, scales and the SAE standard to calculate your payload and towing to remain DOT legal.
If you haven't changed tires/wheels/bumpers/etc. you'll have an absolute number

Now, that said:
I'm guessing you have the 5.7 Rebel 4x4 absolutely loaded with a sun roof since that is the only option I don't have and mine is right at #1113 or some other painful number.
From a stability and performance standpoint, I have the below that "may" be "slightly" above my max normal payload. Separately, I tow a GVRW #7700 travel trailer with a tongue weight of #830-#902 depending on what I have inside (and where) the trailer. The truck has been stable, driven and stopped well. No unusual wear on the tires or brakes and MPG has been an expected 7-9.

I'll let you do the math:
rough SAE numbers 300# passengers, and full fuel if I remember correctly.
I start out at -40# without my wife in the truck
wife weight almost non-existent but we'll add 150# on my number just in case.
120# dogs
85# front winch mount
240# rock sliders
80# bed rack
180# decked drawers
50# road gear
43# lights/compressor/etc.
205# RTT/awning (removed while using the trailer)

Hope this helps.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What type of scale was it? Did it weight the whole truck and trailer at once or was it a per axle scale?
I've seen print outs from CAT scales weighing just a 1500 where the front axle was only 3200 lbs and the rear was 2900, there isn't anything that light on any semi truck...lol
It was a Cat Scale. Separate scales for separate axles I’m sure. What ever is at a large truck stop. After leaving this one I headed to the track. Got rained out, so I headed home. There’s another stop with Cat Scales closer to home.....on the way home I called that stop and talked to a scale operator. Guy told me that the minimum weight is 6000 lbs he thought. I didn’t really argue, but told him I’m in a full size 1500, with a 1100 lb. enclosed trailer, a 460 lb. bike, plus another 200-300 lbs of gear....not including my fat rear end. He still thought I was under the minimum weight, and recommended I find a smaller scale, like those used for landscaping stones, etc...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Guy told me that the minimum weight is 6000 lbs he thought. I didn’t really argue, but told him I’m in a full size 1500, with a 1100 lb. enclosed trailer, a 460 lb. bike, plus another 200-300 lbs of gear....not including my fat rear end. He still thought I was under the minimum weight, and recommended I find a smaller scale, like those used for landscaping stones, etc...
That strange, maybe @VernDiesel can shed some light on why that scale couldn't weigh you truck. I attached one of Vern's pics, maybe you'll see something different about the slips?
This scale weighed a 3400 lbs axle..
CATscaleslip~2.jpg

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah I don’t know. I didn’t even get a piece of paper or anything. I pushed the button and spoke briefly with a female. She said I wasn’t even registering on her end, so there was nothing they could do. I pulled away after saying thank you.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Yeah been on dozens of CAT scales from one coast to the other never ran across that. To CAT your money is as green as the next guy. Maybe the hourly worker was being a dic. Hope you didn’t buy their coffee. Should be like Crash posted.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interesting. Didn’t spend a dime there....no need to. Just weird that two different people, at two separate locations, basically told me the same thing. Next time I’m pulling my trailer maybe I’ll try the one closer to home.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
CATs free app can tell you the costs & specifics for a particular location. Usually about $12 for the initial weigh & $2 per subsequent. The scale slip Crash posted was my truck and either a TT or boat & bedload. I was a little aggressive with the WDH setup as I put a little more on the steer than I needed to.