2016 trailer hook up electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We just bought a camper we're going to use in 2 weeks. Coming home from purchasing, we tested the lights, blinkers, brakes and the only thing that would work was the running lights. The display didn't even detect the trailer was connected for brakes (that made me pucker).
I have a voltage meter and I can see voltage on the running lights, but nothing else. I have checked #53 and #81 and fuses look fine. The connectors look fine and shiny. Any suggestions?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Gonna need more info about your truck. The 1500s and the HeavyDuty trucks are different.

There are a few fuses for the trailer plug.

If it happens to be a HeavyDuty

F28 trailer tow b/u
F29 trailer tow park
F30 trailer tow
F53 trailer tow Lt turn/stop
F81 trailer tow rt turn/stop

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna need more info about your truck. The 1500s and the HeavyDuty trucks are different.

There are a few fuses for the trailer plug.

If it happens to be a HeavyDuty

F28 trailer tow b/u
F29 trailer tow park
F30 trailer tow
F53 trailer tow Lt turn/stop
F81 trailer tow rt turn/stop

Of course. 2016 RAM 1500 5.7 Big Horn crew cab

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So come to find out, I did have two blown 20A fuses. That resolved the lights. However, I've still got a "Check trailer brake wiring" message on the dash when I plug the 7 way in. I thought maybe it was the truck, but I tested a neighbor's trailer and that worked fine. So it's not the truck, it's the trailer. The details on the trailer are 2018 Coleman Lantern. The previous owner only used it a hand full of times and claims the brakes worked, or at least he didn't realize they weren't working so assumed they worked.

How can I test from the plug, to see if I can actuate the trailer brakes? Is there some jumper wire to the battery or something I could do just to see if I can hear them? What is the best way to trace the trailer brakes?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@breal201999

You could use your trailer battery...run a wire to the pin for the trailer brakes and you can hear them work.

Checking at the truck is a bit harder as the pulse signal is hard to check at times.

Make sure you have a good ground on both the truck and trailer.

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-2.png

So what I am saying is run a positive and negative wire from a battery.

Put the positive into number 2 and the ground into number one (this is looking at your trailer plug cord)

Then walk back to your tires and you can hear the brakes.

Hope this helps with your question

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@breal201999

You could use your trailer battery...run a wire to the pin for the trailer brakes and you can hear them work.

Checking at the truck is a bit harder as the pulse signal is hard to check at times.

Make sure you have a good ground on both the truck and trailer.

View attachment 222391

So what I am saying is run a positive and negative wire from a battery.

Put the positive into number 2 and the ground into number one (this is looking at your trailer plug cord)

Then walk back to your tires and you can hear the brakes.

Hope this helps with your question

Thanks. Sadly, I couldn't hear anything. I spent 3 hours at a shop yesterday having them chase down the short and they couldn't find it. Suggested I replace the 7 way plug, and I did... but still no luck. All lights work, just no electronic brake. I have a feeling this almost new trailer has a wire rubbed in the axel. Smack my dang head!

So another question, like I mentioned earlier, Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi, 3.21 gears... Would I be okay towing a 28 foot pull behind camper that weighs around 5-6K pounds without electric brakes? I understand, all kind of depends on terrain. Certainly wouldn't in the mountains! But a short weekend trip a couple of hours away, do you think it would be okay? Manual downshift to save the brakes on the Ram, and keep plenty of distance? I plan to get it fixed this fall/winter, but we have reservations at a site for our first trip next weekend with some friends.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
That is A LOT to ask of your truck brakes! Especially a 1500. I personally wouldn't do it. I have done 3-4k in my 2500 before & you can tell it is giving my brakes a work out.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Most states require electric brakes over 2k.

I would not suggest it with a 1500...

That said. A couple hours is a long time to be on the road hoping no one pulls out in front of you.

I would double check the ground. Or run another.

That camper is honestly at the upper end of your tow capacity. I would be hard presses to make that trip...unless it is very flat and you can take a road with a low speed limit.

But, you have to make that decision.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most states require electric brakes over 2k.

I would not suggest it with a 1500...

That said. A couple hours is a long time to be on the road hoping no one pulls out in front of you.

I would double check the ground. Or run another.

That camper is honestly at the upper end of your tow capacity. I would be hard presses to make that trip...unless it is very flat and you can take a road with a low speed limit.

But, you have to make that decision.

Well, got the brakes fixed. Ended up being both driver side brake assemblies on the tandem axel trailer shorted out some how, and melted the brake wires. Previous owner swears they worked for him. Right... must have broke the last time he parked it! Anyway, $500 later, and new wires ran... I've got brakes now. Thanks for the help.