2016 WITH 76,000 MILES - TRADE OR DELETE EMISSIONS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
With all of the troubles I am having with my truck I am considering trading it in or deleting the emissions.

Its time to crap or get off the pot with this truck.

-ISSUES WITH DEF
-ISSUES WITH EGR
-ISSUES WITH DPF

If it was you what would you do?

I really like the truck. But at this point I am out of warranty for any of the emissions stuff and I am looking at having to dump a lot of money into the truck. If I delete the emissions stuff I will never be able to trade it back into a dealership and I will have to sell it to an individual (Which can be very difficult to find someone with the cash) My other take on this is that I have 75K miles on this truck and I am concerned that the life of the motor after 75K miles of the EGR recirculating soot through the motor that the life of the engine may already be impacted and I may not be getting the full life out of the the truck that I am expecting.

Trade it in on another truck?

Or

Delete the emissions?

Please weigh in on this as I could use the help because I have only owned a few vehicles through my life.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What you should ask yourself is whether or not you want to own the truck for a long time. Stock trucks with all the emission systems have lasted for many, many miles. A little soot won't hurt an oil burner. The issue is that the systems to manage emissions fail miserably.

Want to own it for a long time? Want performance and mileage to improve? If so, delete it, upgrade it, tune it. It's good for a LOT more miles.

OP
OP
Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How many miles is this truck going to be good for?

I would like to own it for a long time. To put it in perspective, I am 33 years old and I have only owned 3 vehicles.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First question would be where do you live and what are the regulations in your area for emissions on diesel trucks. If they don’t do inspections Then you’re free to do as you please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I live in Georgia. No emissions here.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of Cummins powered trucks with 250K+ mile on them and quite a few with a lot more than that. The powertrain is pretty dang stout and is easy to repair when needed. As long at they are properly maintained and you do something to clean up the fuel before it gets into the engine, they seem to go on forever.

It's the electronics, body panels and interior that tends to age fastest and that's pretty much what you find with any vehicle out there.

davidev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you can spend thousands maintaining all the emissions equipment and add in the breakdowns in between.
I can tell you these trucks run like a ***** ape after the deletes are done, and the dependability goes way up!
A 30 year diesel Mechanic / close friend told me he has rebuild many diesel engines ruined at low mileage, under 100k due to EGR equipment clogging up the engines.

Many engines had premature death back in the 80's by the required emissions before fuel injection came along and solved the problem. I believe Diesels are now going through that same phase.
Same thing gas engines went through back in the 80's with emission regulations pre fuel injection era.
When they figure out how to make them run clean in the first place without all the emissions crap diesels will be dependable again, until then its a roll of the dice who will be broke down.

Maybe a new fuel recipe is needed to make them burn clean without emissions?

Just my opinion of course.

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
At 76,000 miles I'm wondering what your factory power train warranty was? I recently picked up a 2018 Ram 2500 and my power train warranty is 5 year 100,000 mile. Doesn't that cover emissions?

Thanks, Fred

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
At 76,000 miles I'm wondering what your factory power train warranty was? I recently picked up a 2018 Ram 2500 and my power train warranty is 5 year 100,000 mile. Doesn't that cover emissions?

Thanks, Fred
Unless they changed something, the emissions components are not included in the power train and have a separate warranty timeline.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep I would delete it and still trade it in like that if/when the times come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn’t read all the post but I’ll throw in my $0.02........

Delete the truck and be amazed at the new vehicle you’ll be driving. I deleted my ‘10 and it was like a new/different truck. And if the time comes, trade it in with no worries. I traded mine and was up front about the mods and delete.......and I’ve seen a few for sale that are deleted (here in GA anyway).

Wish I had kept that ‘10, she was a beast........

EDIT: went back and read thru the thread, OP good decision!

Donald Szajko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys,
I just bought a 2014 2500 diesel with 80k. Runs great!! i love the power. But after reading all the post about the deletes Im going to be performing all or at least most deletes.
Thanks again this is a great forum you guys are very helpful and trust me ill be back for some more advice.

OP
OP
Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am not at 140K miles with no issues since all of the deletes EXCEPT for 1.

When I went to Wyoming last year I started getting a surge at Laramie Wyoming. This only happened at high elevation.

I have reached out to Raceme Ultra to see if they have a tune that will eliminate this surge as I will be returning to hunt again this season. It didn't really affect the performance but it was certainly annoying. The surge went away at highway speed for the most part 60+MPH but at idle and low RPM it would drive you out of the cab.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I should note that I did the complete delete.

EGR DPF DEF all of it.

OP
OP
Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would describe it as "Woofing"

woof woof woof woof

Being amplified by my exhaust. (Which has a small muffler on it)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn