2017 1500 express midnight edition tow cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sc88tertrash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Hi y'all. Registered last year and finally making my first post. I'm not new to forums but I am in the Dodge Ram world. I purchased a 2017 Dodge Ram Express 5.7 Hemi with the 8 speed trans 4 door 5.5 bed. No idea if I'm running 3.92 gear. Been wanting to purchase a 2022 Heartland Mallard 36' travel trailer that weighs 7,000 pounds. That's too much weight isn't? I think I'm over shooting myself but ideally a 30' is prolly the smallest size I'm willing to purchase.

Thoughts?

-Mike

OP
OP
S

sc88tertrash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Also...im not planning to travel anywhere. I sold my house now that the housing market is high. My plan is to park it all year long at a camp ground and live in it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
With a 1500, you will max out on payload long before you max out on trailer weight. As above, check your door jamb and find payload capacity. Things like aftermarket running boards, tonneau covers, people, gear in bed, hitch, etc. all subtract from that number. Suggest you put everything you travel with in/on truck and go to scales and weigh it. Subtract that number from GVW and that is remaining capacity. You are possibly more in the 5,000 pound trailer weight range.

For trailer, always weigh the tongue empty, don't trust number on trailer plate as it may not include dealer accessories, and certainly does not include heat, propane, water, etc.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you are just planning on buying it, tow it to the location and park the trailer?
How far?
I am assuming you can run the trailer dry and empty to keep the weight close to the 7000?
Any big mountains/hills/high elevation from purchase to park?

If your answers are
yes
not far
yes
no
I think you should be ok for that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you buy a new trailer, for a minimal charge, they will tow it & set it up properly, if it is going to a local park
You just have to tell them the Space # & the address.

That way when the plumbing, gas line, & electrical in the park gets damaged, it is on them

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^This is what you want to do. ^^^

36' is a long trailer. I've owned a couple of 33' and I wouldn't go longer. Those 3' make a huge difference. Also if you haven't towed before you'll need to install a brake controller and get a weight distribution hitch and set it up. All that for a one time tow? Have it delivered.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As the guys above have said, if you're never going to move it again, just have it delivered. No point going through the extra expenses of hitch, brake controller if you don't have one, adding tow mirrors, etc. etc. if you're never going to move it again.

If you already had all that equipment, you could give it a go for the one time, and if you weren't going too far with it empty you'd probably be okay. Without 3.92's I wouldn't want to pull that thing in a 1500 very much.

As pointed out above also, 36' is a LOT of camper, especially for a travel trailer. It's long and if you aren't paying attention there's a strong chance you're going to sideswipe something. I've towed over 42' trailers, but you've got to be watching EVERYTHING when you go to do ANYTHING.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also...im not planning to travel anywhere. I sold my house now that the housing market is high. My plan is to park it all year long at a camp ground and live in it.
Not really sure what the question is here.......assume you are just asking about the one time tow from the camper dealership to the park? If that is the case make arrangements to have it delivered. If you really want to tow it a one time deal for what I would assume is a relatively short distance (as in NOT across multiple states) the truck could do it, assuming it had at least the basic essentials like a brake controller and decent hitch. Not like it's magically going to explode and kill a bus full of nuns because it doesn't have 3.92 gears........

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
gotta chime in as well, if its for a one time trip, much cheaper to have the dealership deliver, or find a friend that tows and a 12 pack and pizza.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What did you do? We need endings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio