2017 6.4L with Coolant Loss & Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
My 2015 6.4L Limited has had the scent of hot coolant when I stand in front of the grill since it was new. At 32000 I just added a little coolant to the overflow tank to bring it from the low limit to the midpoint. This is 3 years and over 30K since new.

If you bring it to the 'stealership' they will likely change a bunch of stiff in an attempt to find the issue. All on your dime. If your oil fill cap doesn't have any white residue in it, and you don't see anything on the engine or under the truck, accept it as "normal". It's not worth getting a stomach ache over.

I tow a 10000# trailer a couple of times in the summer and no issues have developed. Lots of mountains to climb along the way, too.

There are old threads somewhere addressing this issue. Many of the typical catastrophic opinions given, but the majority agreed it was a breather hole on the water pump housing. Just the scent of coolant, no major leak. I'm going with that.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your heater core for leak , if no coolant inside look at the AC drain for moisture.