2017 8 speed Transmission

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Roadwarrior1500, May 15, 2019.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Troy Gillis

Troy Gillis Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Or.. drive it till it packs it in.. Car-Part list's these tranny's around a thousand bucks with only 1500 miles on it..

2. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Learn how to service your transmision and deal with it with a smile on like Sean did, one great transmision, Defintly a upgrade over the rfe, except in maintenance. I would even think higher of it if they didnt mechanically heat the fluids. Delete that, just maybe the lifetime fluid makes more sense.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  3. tidefan1967

tidefan1967 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I agree unless you are physically unable due to advanced age or a handicap there are more than enough videos out there to show anyone how to do it. No way in hell I would trust someone else to not screw up and no way in hell would I pay someone a small fortune to do something that I can do myself. If you got $800-1200 to give somebody for a couple hours work at the most you must be made out of money. I wonder whats the most mileage someone has got out of one these without a transmission service before it actually crapped out? Probably longer than we would think.

Burla likes this.
  4. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    Think i'd rather stay on top of servicing the tranny.Servicing one isn't cheap,and has a few steps to it,but it's a hell'va lot cheaper and easier then changing the transmission.Even taking your time the service is maybe a couple hours,swapping the tranny is going to take more then that,and you'll have to hunt up a tranny jack etc.and you'll have to either tow it to a dealer or find somebody who can program the tranny to the truck,you can't just throw another 8 speed tranny in place and drive it away,it'll need to be programed to the truck before you drive it .Plus if you buy a used one,you should probably do a service on it

Burla likes this.
  5. madtrucker2016

madtrucker2016 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    well if you say that your ram came with instructions how to fill the transmission I must of missed that in my paper work with my truck when I got it new. But if you fill it level like you say then put back on ground wouldn't it be filled to much. From some videos Ive seen one was from a Ram dealership it was filled on a lift and also if you have a heavy duty cooling system for the trans it takes more fluid because the lines go up to the front of the truck into the cooler and back . They filled it till fluid came out of fill hole capped it drove the truck and put back on lift and filled it again till it poured out the fill hole and that was it

Burla likes this.
  6. madtrucker2016

madtrucker2016 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The way I always looked at tackling a job is watch listen learn then do so how hard could it be to change your own trans fluid they have kids in the dealer working on these trucks half my age so why cant I do it worked with my hands all my life

7. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    You missed the point where I said,"the instructions that came with my brand new 8HP70",the instructions came with the transmission not the truck.If you want i'll post the instructions on the facebook page of your choosing,i don't do pics on here,and you can argue with the instructions all you want there.I'm not gonna argue with you,i'm just telling you what FCA and ZF specify in the instructions that come with a brand new transmission,"not a rebuilt". Same as checking your engine oil,do you pull the dipstick when the truck is on an incline or leaned over in a ditch "no" as you'll get a false oil level reading,what makes you think the transmissions oil level is any different.All i'm saying is they are very specific about having the tranny pan rail level to do the checking procedure,and to me it makes sense,not sure why it doesn't to you,but maybe you are the type who pulls the engine dipstick while the truck is inclined,lol.

raksasa and Dusty like this.
  8. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    crackerjack1957 likes this.
  9. Sgriffin7

Sgriffin7 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Here's what Wild one posted on Facebook for those that don't have it