2017 Dodge Ram no heat blowing from vents un when heat is on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

800steve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First a friendly note:

A motor is powered with electricity
An engine is powered by anything else, ( unless you live in England )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In your Climate Control Unit
You have 4 doors, each run by actuators, actuators are usually interchangeable, ( a Mega Cab has 5 actuators )

Behind the upper glove compartment, there is a Recirculation Door
Below it & slightly to the left of the Fan, there is a Blend Door
Directly in back of the Climate Control Panel, there is a Mode 1 door
Just above where your right ankle would normally rest when driving, there is a Mode 2 door

------------------------------------------------------------------

I would try moving the knobs on the control panel to see what is actually working. A/C, Low, medium, High speeds, heat or cold to the floor, heat or cold to the vents, cold to the defrost.

I would determine which heater hose carries the water into the heater & which is the return line.

Then watch a Youtube video on how to backflush the heater core in the cab, back flushing pushes any debris out the inlet hose, do Not use High Pressure
----------------------------------------------------

Each actuator can be disconnected from the housing ( 2 screws ), & you can watch it cycle once you connect it back into the electrical socket

also once the actuator is detached, you can gently move the metal rod that moves the different doors, you may hear the door as it fully opens or closes.

If you decide to remove the Climate Control Box from under the dash board.
The Mopar Actuators are the quality unit
The different doors, you would want to stay away from the Mopar doors
Many people use the Dorman replacements
Personally, i would spend a bit more & get the ones from https://www.blenddoorusa.com/
If i planned on long term ownership

Grab a beverage of your choice, put your feet up & hopefully learn about your climate control system

I buy my gas motors from the Ford Motor Company and General Motors right here in the USA.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I finally caved due to lack of garage space to work on it. Took it to a local Dealer. 3 hours later. EGR hose.

Attachments

• 77D01653-2C89-4313-9279-89B2FF6A0497.png
    77D01653-2C89-4313-9279-89B2FF6A0497.png
    695.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It wasnt the leaky EGR hose. After that was fixed it turned out being the Heater Core. No flow. All actuators were find. Doors in heater box fine. Its being repaired now.

Tapperoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Gas
I haven’t had a chance to remove the cover under the glovebox and look yet.
That said I was in a parking lot waiting to pick up my son and all of a sudden it was blowing hot. And I swear I heard a ‘click/clunk’ right before it went hot.
So is this like my old Dodges where you need to pull the whole dash to do the blend door or is there a heater treater option?
Thank you.
Did you ever find out about having to pull the dash to replace the blend door?
I'm having the same issue with my 2015 3500 6.4L Hemi gasser. I've replaced the thermostat. The running temperature gauge is reading normal. AC blows cold but the heat will not blow hot. It does get "luke warm" so I'm thinking the blend door or the connector that moves the door from the actuator is broken or stuck. The actuator itself is moving correctly.

I'll be starting a new thread on this if anyone can HELP!!!

Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can go to a Radiator & A/C garage

Most of them will have a advanced trouble shooting tool, similar to a scan tool buy larger.
They can connect it to your trucks OBD2 port, then go into the HVAC system. they go through a process that makes all of the "Doors" work, it is a Pass/Fail test

I don't believe that it tests the control knobs themselves, i believe the control unit is bypassed.

Another thing that you can do for yourselves
If your HVAC system has this configuration

[ATTACH type="full"]489016[/ATTACH]

There is a Reset that you can do, it has to do with
something like ?
Pressing the 2 buttons to the left & holding them for something like the count of 5, then release, then press again for the count of 5

Attachments

• 1647766580033.png
    1647766580033.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 7

jeremiah johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. I cant find a leak anywhere. I was a little low. Im going to drive it today after I did the thermostat. I figured for $100 Id try it. Its now not overheating in my driveway running 28 minutes. But I’ll drive it for a bit.
Heater is still not working and the actuator is working properly.
My radiator cracked, on a plastic seam. Same symptoms. Never found it until the Crack grew big enough to spray coolant while driving. Crack stayed small a long time so I just assumed the small loss of coolant was evaporation or something... silly me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963