2017 EcoDiesel Tried to trade it in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angel I4Gold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
I have a 2017 EcoDiesel with the ERG recall too. I drive to and from work over 40 miles per day in a potential fire bomb that I’ve been told not to drive according to the recall. I’ve waited for over 6 months with no fix in sight, according to the Ram Dealers in Aberdeen, WA and Chehalis, WA.

I’m a nervous wreak m. Finally I couldn’t take it anymore and I tried to trade it in on a 2020 3/4 Ton w/Cummins at the Ram Dealer in Chehalis.

They don’t want it, I’d have to not only give them my truck but an additional $12,500 to get rid of it and pay off my current loan (I still owe $34,500 at $600/mo).

What is the answer? I don’t want to ruin my credit by letting them repo it, but I have to do something before I either have a nervous breakdown or become a fireball.

scubaseth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If they told you not to drive it at all. Then it should of stayed at the dealership. You should get a rental. They replaced mine with a new part waiting on the permanent fix. That's crazy a dealership is trying to rip you off. But you can get a new 2019 Larmie for $36k for 0% in 84 months and delayed payments for 90 days.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The recall notice I received on my '17 Laramie Eco Diesel said only to watch for unexplained coolant loss. If the coolant level starts to go down without any obvious reason THEN stop driving it and take it to a dealer.

No replacement part is available at this time. You might be worrying a bit too much if your truck isn't showing any sign of coolant loss. Frequently keep a eye on your coolant level.

As for your values, it sounds to me like you are "upside down" with your financing. I bought my '17 Laramie 4X4 Eco Diesel at 23k off of MSRP or $32,600 plus tax and license. Window sticker was $55,600.) Elk Grove Ram in CA offerred 400 trucks at that price in early 2018 They are currently selling new 2019 Tradesman Eco Diesels 4X4s for around $26k. Until they run out of the 2019 models, no doubt our trucks are worth around $20k depending on condition and mileage. So if you still owe over $34k and they want another $12,5k, then they are offering about $20k trade in value which is about what we can expect with all the inexpensive new 2019's still on the market.

Tough news to swallow but that's the reality of the situation.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You are in a tough spot being upside down on that loan. It looks like they basically offered you $22K as trade-in value which based on blahargoue's analysis seems about right. Perhaps a private sale might net you a little bit more but you will still need to come up with some cash to pay off the loan to complete the private sale.

cop4hire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Are you talking about I-5 Dodge? I am currently working with them on trading in my 2016 EcoDiesel and purchasing the new Eco 2020. They also offered me the very low end trade in value on my truck. Low end is 24 grand. High end is 27 grand. For a truck that 4 years ago cost me 55 grand? What a scam. Any comments on dealing with I-5? This virus BS makes it almost impossible to shop.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Check your mail, EGR's are in and I have an appt. to get it replaced 4/30

scubaseth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your mail, EGR's are in and I have an appt. to get it replaced 4/30
Is it the redesigned fix? Or just a new egr that will crack again?

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Redesigned, Also just got notice for new flash to stop turbo lag when cold.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
UPDATE.. New EGR and new flash installed yesterday. It's a new truck! LOL Realy, it runs better. (98k on the speedo, 40k on the new motor, $3k settlement, new EGR, and extended Warranty on many engine parts and EPA controls. Love it.

scubaseth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
UPDATE.. New EGR and new flash installed yesterday. It's a new truck! LOL Realy, it runs better. (98k on the speedo, 40k on the new motor, $3k settlement, new EGR, and extended Warranty on many engine parts and EPA controls. Love it.
Better mileage per gallon?

fyermn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have a 2015 bighorn Ecodiesel with 99K miles. I have had the NEW Flash done and the EGR recently done. On the drive home from the dealer, I got a "Service engine throttle" message on the dash along with the engine light and the funny Z looking thing in the lower part of the dash. I went back, and had to wait a week for the part for the turbo to come in. As I was driving home again, the same message came on again, so I drove it back to the dealer. Had to wait another week for the complete turbo to be replaced. Guess what, driving home again, the same message came back on. Back to the dealer again. It is all covered under the 100K warranty, but I just don't trust the truck any longer, so I am trading it in on a 2020 F-150 XLT with a 2.7 twin turbo. I really like the Ram, but I just don't trust it any longer, and since I have just under 1000 miles of the warranty left, it is time to let it go. I was hoping to get 175k to 250k miles with that engine, but I can see that will never happen.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 bighorn Ecodiesel with 99K miles. I have had the NEW Flash done and the EGR recently done. On the drive home from the dealer, I got a "Service engine throttle" message on the dash along with the engine light and the funny Z looking thing in the lower part of the dash. I went back, and had to wait a week for the part for the turbo to come in. As I was driving home again, the same message came on again, so I drove it back to the dealer. Had to wait another week for the complete turbo to be replaced. Guess what, driving home again, the same message came back on. Back to the dealer again. It is all covered under the 100K warranty, but I just don't trust the truck any longer, so I am trading it in on a 2020 F-150 XLT with a 2.7 twin turbo. I really like the Ram, but I just don't trust it any longer, and since I have just under 1000 miles of the warranty left, it is time to let it go. I was hoping to get 175k to 250k miles with that engine, but I can see that will never happen.
The only way to realistically get those kind of miles out an Ecodiesel is to delete the EGR but I have no idea whose left that still sells delete tunes. We have one member on here that got close to 400K miles out of his deleted Ecodiesel.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
The only way to realistically get those kind of miles out an Ecodiesel is to delete the EGR but I have no idea whose left that still sells delete tunes. We have one member on here that got close to 400K miles out of his deleted Ecodiesel.
Anyone looking for something PM me, I know some still available For sale.

Peacekeeper190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Question 1..... Is the new AEM 2 Reflash reliable or does it cause other issues?

Question 2 ..... Have been told the EGR Recalled Part has issues and a recall is coming to “fix the fix”?

Bradacrawford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
It will happen with NO warning! I know it happened to me. 7/14/2020

1F07F346-D16F-4530-A423-56BC7532E412.jpeg

C37D116B-6E89-479A-AE25-CE3C1AC5E05B.jpeg

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Holy cow! Not just a little fire in the engine bay, the entire truck was engulfed. Looks like the remnants of a mob hit where they don't want the body identified.