2017 Laramie Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey everyone! I'm Mike and from NJ. Picked up a brand new 2017 Laramie Crew Cab 6.5ft bed last week and loving this truck. First ram and I couldn't be happier. Got the Black Forest Green with Canyon Brown Leather; it was what the dealer had and honestly I love the way it tricks people thinking its black. Ram boxes, protection package, anti slip differential, pretty much all the goodies.

Had the dealer throw on side steps as it was one thing the truck didn't have and unfortunately I didn't specify the wheel to wheel steps so they threw on door to door, not the end of the world just wish I had specified it when we agreed on it.

Waiting for a shipment to come in with weathertech mats, roll up tonneau cover, de-zee tailgate assist, and RedLine 60 inch tailgate light. Also planning to add additional bed lights and side step lights once the weather gets a little nicer (I picked up the truck and ever since its been freezing and raining / snow).

Plan to keep updating this thread with what I'm up to and pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It was a little warmer today and I just got in the DeeZee tailgate assist so I decided to install it. Got the DZ43301 off Amazon and install was great... except that damn nutsert which everyone seems to have issues with. I ended up using the threadlock on the insert bolt let it dry for about an hour and then had no issues with the install.

th_C8D1F882-ED53-4ACF-95FD-86FB6E4A7BC5.jpg
It almost ended before it even started, but some of the threadlock seemed to make the difference. The nut insert kept spinning, it's important it DOESN'T move as you try to tight the nut, so if you see it spin you need to adjust what you are doing.
th_6AEA3D33-0A73-4211-97B5-B0DEBF93798C.jpg
Some more threadlock and add the ball mount for the shock
th_726C1D9F-DDB9-4F17-9821-2AA08E852ACC.jpg
I was shocked at how much threadlock the factory used on the bolt for the tailgate cable
th_E7D3A912-04B8-4FEE-977E-503F8613599D.jpg
Wish I had the right size torx for my drill driver, it would have been off in 10 seconds.
th_D3BC11A0-9BDD-4850-982D-90AF483AE9DD.jpg
Add the plate supplied from DeeZee and reattach everything

I did remove the limiter but skipped adding the cable clip because there was no way it was fitting with out damaging the protective coating on the cable and it had no problem closing.
th_E3F1DAA1-C96A-414B-A709-8C2F69CBDE6D.jpg

And of course, the reason it's totally worth the $30 (or however much it is), seriously they should just have these from the factory.

th_0AB6D1CB-6779-4E52-9638-5CE4A0469337.jpg

Next up is probably going to be the Opt 7 Redline Tailgate Light Bar which is due in next week.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well in total shock both my Opt 7 tailgate bar and tonneau cover showed up today. It was raining and I am waiting on some connectors to come in before I do the tailgate light but I couldn't resist doing the tonneau cover. Install wasn't too bad, I recently installed a roll up on a bed with out ramboxes so I knew the general setup the addition of the cargo rails was a little bit of a curveball but like usual the passenger side went MUCH faster.

I may need to adjust it slightly as the boxes seem to catch a little bit on the weather seal but I'll see over time. I'll get a better picture when it stops raining but here's a quick one I snagged.

Hopefully the connectors I ordered show up this week so I can get the tailgate light installed. After that plans are to add additional bed lights and running board lights as all through an auxiliary fuse setup.

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3583.jpg
    IMG_3583.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 152

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice truck and color, but what is that around your dog's face ?

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Everyone says "oh nice black truck!.... wait it's not black is it?"
A few more pictures including the weathertech mats which have already been pulled (rear one was damaged, seller has been a PITA, replacing with husky brand), lesson learned by direct from weathertech.

I wish I had the sport style bumper versus the chrome which has the body color on the upper part (2 part bumper?) not sure, not a big deal just something I noticed aftering seeing my buddies truck which has a body color matched bumper, the space between the license plate would look good with a light bar but not really doable with this bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Plugs came in for the OPT7 tailgate light. I picked these up
http://amzn.to/2nxySvV along with a 7 pin to 4 pin t connector http://amzn.to/2ofcZhF , of course after I got it in found that I could have gotten the 7 pin to 5 pin and not had to of hacked into mine but oh well, live and learn.

I wanted to make things as simple as possible to put in, take out incase I need to. So I wanted to be able to unplug the T connector, and unplug the light strip as well. I went ahead and tapped into the reverse line and added another to the T (again, looking back I should have just bought a 7 pin to 5 pin).

From there I used the 6 pin connectors so I can disconnect the light bar from the T connector harness. These connectors claim waterproof and they look like they SHOULD be. The utilize a rubber grommet that goes over each wire and then pushes into the back of the connector. Each crimp terminal is crimped, and then soldered before being inserted. I also used some RTV silicone in the back of the connector just to seal them up a little better. Also to plug the open hole (only used 5 pins, not 6) so that water can't build up in the connector.

I plan to attach the light tomorrow and plug in the harness. I'm going to use the double sided tape and use the RTV silicone to keep the light in place, I really don't want to drill into the brand new truck to attach the little metal clips.

p.s. if you are looking for the 7 pin to 5 pin T connector here it is http://amzn.to/2nlZsqY

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Making these harnesses made install so frekin easy. I dropped the spare tire to make more room to get my hand behind the factory trailer plug, unplugged it, plugged in my T connector, tested the light first (last thing I need to do is mount it and realize I've got left and right turn signals backwards), then pulled off the tailgate. I decided to mount it so that in I can JUST fit the shaft through the opening to get to the spare tire, I think if I had gone any higher the tailgate would hit the LEDs.

I peeled back the tape and used that as a temporary hold and then used RTV silicone in the gaps and across the entire top edge. Hopefully that'll keep it in place but still allow me to remove it should I ever need to. I'll get some pictures at night but here is a video of it right after install.

https://youtu.be/iam_QYD-NoM

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Light Setup

This post is sort of part 1 of an install. First I'll offer up an explanation, then a bit of what I did and I'll list links to everything at the end of the post. Part 2 will be the install into the truck.

So the plan from pretty much day 1 (maybe when I woke up on day 2) was to add additional lights to the bed and add lights for the side steps. My original plan was to keep it simple and use white LED strips, utilize relay's to trigger each light. But the more I thought about it I wanted to add more of a cool factor and have messed around PLENTY with RGB LED's.

The great thing about RGBW LED strips is that there are two separate diodes, one that is purely just white and one that is RGB. In my configuration the white LED's will operate just as you would expect them to; for the foot steps they will tie into the footwell lights so when the doors are unlocked, or the door is opened they will illuminate the steps. The bed lights will do the same for the additional light in the bed.

Once the truck is started (relayed off the ignition) I'll have control of the RGB part of the LED strips using my phone as the remote. The RGB part will PURELY be for fun and because "I can". I have ZERO intention to drive around with them on or do anything else stupid with them. I am also adding a 12 volt plug in one of the ram boxes as well as possibly adding USB power to the center console (I don't like the factory location of the USB plugs and why not)

I'm pretty shocked I was able to fit everything into the project box I got, originally I was going to have the relays externally and go with a different fuse panel, basically just mount the terminal blocks and wifi RGB controller in the project box but I opted to go with a smaller fuse panel and cram it all in. It is a TIGHT fit and if I want to add anything down the road (which I will, and is why I picked up an 8 position fuse panel) I'll need to go to a bigger, or secondary project box.

Here's what is going on, one relay is getting its trigger from the footwell lights in the cab, that will give power to the footstep lights (White only). A second relay is getting its trigger from the existing bed lights and that will give power to the additional bed lights (White only). The third relay is triggered by an ignition source in the engine bay and gives power to the RGB Controller.

The led strips work on a common anode system, a positive source is supplied constantly and the final color result is determined by the cathode side (negative signal). So both strips are receiving a constant 12 VOLT power source. The R+G+B signals are hooked up to one of the terminal blocks and distributed out to 2 pigtails.

I decided to go with pigtails out of the box for hookup versus trying to surface mount the connectors and thank goodness I did because I never would have fit them all into the box. I'll create the necessary harnesses to run throughout the truck. In the last picture you can see the box how it sits now, each pigtail has a ziptie inside the box to act as a strain relief and is siliconed to protect it, i was going to use grommets but could not find ones with the right wall thickness.

This may seem like a huge post for such a little amount of work, and for not actually doing ANYTHING with the truck yet but this will make installation much simpler. My next step is to create my harnesses and then attach the LEDs to the truck, tap the necessary wires and connect everything.

Project Box

Fuse Panel

Relays

6 Pin Connectors

3 Pin Connectors

1 Pin Connectors (using for the relay trigger wires)

Terminal Block (12 position)

Terminal Block (5 Position)

5 Meter RGBW LED Strips

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0321descript.jpg
    IMG_0321descript.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright so I was hoping to run the harnesses today but I just had to place another order for more wire (really should have just ordered it all in bulk to begin with), my wire costs went up quite a bit when I decided to run RGBW lights versus simple 2 wire white LEDs. In any event, I decided to see about adding USB power to the stock Laramie center cubby/cupholder.

The second I test drove the truck I thought it was silly that they bothered to build in a smart phone holder and yet didn't put a single USB plug in the area. The USB is in the top section of the flip up center console, means the wire has to run across the console and if you open the large center compartment the wire pulls as well. I know, I'm being nitpicky and I could buy a 5 dollar 12 volt to USB adapter and be done... but where is the fun in that?

Getting the center compartment out is super easy, remove the 2 rubber mats, take out 3 screws and pull straight up!
IMG_0346.jpg

Plenty of room down there, will have to keep that in mind in the future if I need somewhere to hide wires or any modules.
IMG_0347.jpg

Now for the scariest 30 seconds of my life; taking the cubby out of my truck that hasn't been off the dealer's lot for even 30 days and drilling into it. Drilled a nice clean hole, popped in the USB port and snugged it all back together. :roflbow:
IMG_0349.jpg
I'm really happy with how it all looks. I could just tap into the 12 volt accessory plug but again for whatever reason I'm being overly **** about this and will run it off the new fuse box I made in the previous post.
IMG_0350.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll get some additional pictures soon but got all the lights ran and wired! I created a harness that runs under the driver side of the vehicle from the engine compartment all the way to the end of the bed, providing white LED light for "oem" style operation of bed lights and step lights AS WELL as full RGB control of bed lights and step lights when the car is running (acc/ignition tap). The results are exactly what I wanted.
Foot steps lit up
IMG_0409.jpg
Bed lit up
IMG_0415.jpg

And videos;
White LED operating
https://youtu.be/Z4sC-yO4cmY
RGB Control (in this video they are just color fading but full control via iphone)
https://youtu.be/6a2__kgVoIo

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well last week I made a stupid mistake and put a pretty big gouge in the driver side rear fender flare. Tried touching it up with some filler and touch up paint but not satisfied so just ordered up a full set of EGR OE flares from carid which I'll drop off at a local paint shop to get sprayed before putting on. Going to wait and see how they look compared to my stock flares to see if I need to replace both rear flares. Pretty upset with myself about it but can't do anything about it.

Once that is all done my plan is to drop it off for a full detail and paint correction and then take over washing and detailing my self.

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Nice truck and color, but what is that around your dog's face ?

Sorry been away for a while.

Its called a "gentle lead". The leash is hooked to it as it goes around the base of their snout, as they pull away from you it brings their snout down. Basically a learning device to eliminate him walking you.

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Everyone says "oh nice black truck!.... wait it's not black is it?"
A few more pictures including the weathertech mats which have already been pulled (rear one was damaged, seller has been a PITA, replacing with husky brand), lesson learned by direct from weathertech.

I wish I had the sport style bumper versus the chrome which has the body color on the upper part (2 part bumper?) not sure, not a big deal just something I noticed aftering seeing my buddies truck which has a body color matched bumper, the space between the license plate would look good with a light bar but not really doable with this bumper.

I actually went away from color matched bumpers on my truck. The rock chips leave voids for rust to get in and bumpers rust out very quickly here.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well been quiet these last few weeks but everything's going great on the truck. I have a pedal commander on order and just got in an EAG Raptor Style ABS Grill that I plan to modify a bit with a 42 inch light bar. I'll post some more as I get going on these projects.

I've also started to question how I feel about the color of the truck. It really comes off black about 90% of the time, thinking that a wrap may be in the works down the road (1-2 years) to really change up the look of the truck. Been a big fan of the red trucks I've seen.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been a while since I updated and just wrapped up the grill install today. So started out with an EAG Raptor Grill and a 42 inch light bar, cut it up, fabricated mounts, 3D designed and printed trim fillers to blend the bar back into the grill and finished it all off with plasti-dip. I plan to black out the rest of the chrome by the end of the summer at the latest.

The grill's amber markers I wired up to be on when the ignition is on. The LED bar is wired up utilizing a wireless transmitter so I can use the Homelink button to trigger it on and off (didn't want to add any switches in the cab). There are also RGBW LED lights behind the grill to match the courtesy and RGB control the rest of the truck has.

IMG_0595.jpg mockup of new grill stock before cutting into it to test fitment and look

IMG_0621.jpg outer bezel and light bar mocked up, a tight fit between the light bar and the cross beam but it fit!

IMG_0622.jpg Grill cut for light bar to fit

IMG_0726.jpg Here you can see the trim pieces to blend back in the light bar, about 5 coats of plasti dip in total

IMG_0739.jpg All attached and ready to go!

Next up; I have 8 cans of plasti-dip waiting for good weather and time. I plan to black out the bumper, mirror caps, wheels, rear bumper, running boards, and possibly the door handles. I'm iffy about how the plasti-dip will last on the running boards and door handles but worth a shot.

Last edited: