2017 Ram 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fran-c7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone change front struts from oem for better ride... like Monroe quick struts etc

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Most go Bilstein 5100 adjustable (up to 2.8").

:welcome: to Ramforum!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

SOCAL is right on the money!

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Please help another newb understand what this means. I know Bilstein is great. Just a swap out 1:1? What’s the adjustment for?

Additional suggestions beyond the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
They adjust the height of the frontend.
Different setting equals different heights.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Right, some folks want to use the level to remove the rake (tail high), others to clear larger tires. The great thing about these Bilsteins (5100s and their big brother the 6112s) is that they are additive to a suspension lift and often done first (usually for cost containment). As people grow into their lifts, they simply add a Zone, BDS, ProComp, Superlift, RoughCountry, etc suspension lift and can easily clear 35" and 37" tires. with up to 2.8" of Bilstein strut height on top of a 4" or 6" suspension.

It's certainly the way I went.

Last edited:

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right, some folks want to use the level to remove the rake (tail high), others to clear larger tires. The great thing about these Bilsteins (5100s and their big brother the 6112s) is that they are additive to a suspension lift and often done first (usually for cost containment). As people grown into their lifts, they simply add a Zone, BDS, ProComp, Superlift, RoughCountry, etc suspension lift and can easily clear 35" and 37" tires. with up to 2.8" of Bilstein strut height on top of a 4" or 6" suspension.

It's certainly the way I went.

Ok. Now we’re cooking with oil. So, can I use a pair of 5100s to eliminate the rake? Without a leveling kit? What’s that setting?

What do you recommend for the rear, assuming I do the front.

Thanks for all the help!

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Yessir you can, I did just that. 3" rake from the factory. Boom, and I dropped in 305/50/20s under it to boot. Set the Billies to 2.8.

You may want to consider upgraded UCAs. Mevotec makes an improved set, or you can pull out your wallet and look at Zone. Either has a better ball joint angle than factor UCAs with Billies set at 2.8. But to be honest, I ran a year with my factory UCAs and BIllies set at 2.8 with no issues.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Truck has changed a lot since these pics, but this is factory and then Billies set at 2.8. As I said, I had a factory 3" rake (nasty).

IMG_3009.JPG IMG_3472.JPG

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yessir you can, I did just that. 3" rake from the factory. Boom, and I dropped in 305/50/20s under it to boot. Set the Billies to 2.8.

You may want to consider upgraded UCAs. Mevotec makes an improved set, or you can pull out your wallet and look at Zone. Either has a better ball joint angle than factor UCAs with Billies set at 2.8. But to be honest, I ran a year with my factory UCAs and BIllies set at 2.8 with no issues.

Ok Socal. Since I am basically a sign language ape, pace me through this.

I want to eliminate the rake. Keep my factory 20” OEM tires, would like a better system than OEM when the time comes and have heard Billstein is excellent. Now, tell me what to buy front and rear and the settings so someone who does know what they’re doing can charge me too much for not knowing what the heck I am asking for.

And go....(with thanks)

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
@FriedDumpling, first measure your rake. Measure centerline from bottom of fender to street. Subtract the front height from the back height, and you have your rake.

Get yourself some Billies and set them to that rake setting. You are now a leveled monster. We want to see some before and after pics!

You can always add a rear spacer (Tog Gunz Customs carry these) if you want to do both front and rear lift. These spacers go above the rear coils. They are cheap and effective. After that, if you want higher, get a suspension lift.

Lots of folks go Billy 5100s in the front and 5000s in the rear. It's what I did.... at first. LOL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Also, there is a site you can check out and put in your tire/wheel specs and you can see folks with Billies on. customoffsets.com. Careful though, that is **** for guys who want to lift their rigs.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@FriedDumpling, first measure your rake. Measure centerline from bottom of fender to street. Subtract the front height from the back height, and you have your rake.

Get yourself some Billies and set them to that rake setting. You are now a leveled monster. We want to see some before and after pics!

You can always add a rear spacer (Tog Gunz Customs carry these) if you want to do both front and rear lift. These spacers go above the rear coils. They are cheap and effective. After that, if you want higher, get a suspension lift.

Lots of folks go Billy 5100s in the front and 5000s in the rear. It's what I did.... at first. LOL

Awesome...just want to be a leveled monster. (Dream Realized)

Measure [emoji736]
Billies 5100 [emoji736]

Graduate to Middle School!

On my way!

No desire to lift yet, just level for now.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Awesome...just want to be a leveled monster. (Dream Realized)

Measure [emoji736]
Billies 5100 [emoji736]

Graduate to Middle School!

On my way!

No desire to lift yet, just level for now.

PICS or it didn't happen. Good luck with the level!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rake on each truck seems to be just a little different. I set my Bil's at 2.1 and it is almost exactly level. As Jack said---measuring is the first step.
Jay

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But 6112’s ride better :emotions36:

So I did some research.

Looks like the 6112s offer more clearance and great for off road. I am not looking for either. Are they the right call for someone who just commutes like a regular driver and wants to level? Why?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The +'s for the Bil's I think are they level your truck and your truck rides better than with the stock shocks. IMHO well worth the investment
Jay

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I did some research.

Looks like the 6112s offer more clearance and great for off road. I am not looking for either. Are they the right call for someone who just commutes like a regular driver and wants to level? Why?

It’s true they market them for the offroad crowd, but they ride so smooth on the street too. They come with new coils that are much better quality than OEM and I think that’s what makes them ride so nice. However, all that comes with a cost, about 3X the cost of 5100’s

Do a search here for 6112’s, there’s a few of us that have them.

Nothing wrong with 5100’s either, probably a thousand members here with them.

Last edited: