2017 ram 1500 5.7 hemi ticking after running for short periods of time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

403hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all i got a 2017 outdoorsman 1500 hemi. I live in a town house with a 1 car garage the ram parks on the drive way and ive been noticing when i run it to let the girl friends car out the garage it. The next time i fire it up if it has not run that long i will get a ticking sound for about 2 seconds if your standing behind the truck and use the truck started I can some what hear it echo thru the exhaust. What do you guys think this is as it mostly happens when my truck was ran for a short period of time the previous start.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That happens to more of us, apparently it is "normal" and is lifter bleed down. I recently complained about that in this thread:

and I will attempt to fix that by changing to a different oil but I'm not all that hopeful to be honest. For me it seems to be temperature related, if I turn it off before oil hits about 60 C (give or take) and let it sit for more than 45 mins then I get the rattle on the next start. If the oil is above that temp then I never get the startup rattle.

One forum member suggested revving up to 1500 for a second or two before turning it off if you're doing a quick start + move, you can try that and see if it helps?

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine does it too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is two main causes of hemi tick, at least 99% of them can be traced to either lifters or exhaust bolts and/or warped manifolds. Within that 99% you have about a 50/50 shot it is either exhaust related or lifters. Get under truck and check the exhaust bolts on the manifold. Learn about lubrication strategy for lifters whether this is lifters or not. If you want to know the health of your engine do a uoa with blackstone oil analyzers for 30 bucks, add tbn if you want to set an interval. I see you are in CA, maybe someone can direct you to a local place for this. Always list mileage in posts such as this, good luck.

OP
OP

403hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys its appreciated. Sucks that this is sucha common issue it drives me nuts some times i think about getting rid of the girlfriend so i dont have move my truck out of the drive way to let her out and not have to run my truck for short periods of time lol. My truck just hit 83,000 kms rarley ticks when I dont need to start it up quick to move the truck. Ive tried synthetic, conventional, different filters I have also tried reving it up to build up oil pressure before turning the truck off and still same issue. Ive found if i start the truck and run it for 15 mins before moving the truck most of the time it wont tick. I love the ram im just hoping this isnt causing issues to the motor. Thanks for info burla im interested in trying the uoa with blackstone oil not exactly sure what that is tho hopefully someone can push me in the right direction in Calgary canada

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try different oil, filter ,my start ticking around 28.000km with full synthetic oil shell rotella 5w20 and fram ultra synthetic oil filter,went to dealer for a diagnosis, nothing wrong,normal tick,so I choose to go for conventional oil 5w20 and mopar oil filter at the dealer,after 2000km the tick is gone,still have the lubegard biotech, just in case,but so far so good.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My '15 does it also. I got her with 28600 on the odo, and she has 137000 now.

She has done this on short, cold jaunts this whole time.

Going to try the 1500 rpm method the next chance I get.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I get that too. I've found that my truck won't do that after a short move like that as long as just before I shut it off I hold the engine speed at about 1500 rpm's for about 20 seconds, then let off the gas and shut it right off.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All three of my Hemis have done this. Drives me nuts, never had any other truck do it. I just either don’t do it or let it come up to temperature and it won’t do it when I go to start it up next time. I have to think that letting it idle for a little longer until it up to temp, though not good, is better than all that rapping the next time I start it.

The other option is like you said, ditch the GF haha

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
Hey all i got a 2017 outdoorsman 1500 hemi. I live in a town house with a 1 car garage the ram parks on the drive way and ive been noticing when i run it to let the girl friends car out the garage it. The next time i fire it up if it has not run that long i will get a ticking sound for about 2 seconds if your standing behind the truck and use the truck started I can some what hear it echo thru the exhaust. What do you guys think this is as it mostly happens when my truck was ran for a short period of time the previous start.
About a year ago, my brand new Ram 1500 did the same thing (ticking for 2-5 seconds at startup). I noticed one day that driving with MDS DISABLED (via +/- toggle on steering wheel), seemed to make it worse - or at least tick for sure at the next startup. I shortly thereafter tried leaving the MDS system alone, and let it do its thing switching to ECO mode whenever it wanted to. Almost magically, the ticking STOPPED. Maybe a fluke - who knows?? I intentionally started to let the system switch to ECO mode on final approach, before pulling into the driveway. Any time I did that, no more ticking at next startup. I also switched to Redline oil w/Fram Ultra - as a preventive measure. Knock on wood, but a few thousand miles later, still no ticking! Do keep in mind, that the Owner Manual indicates (as crazy as it sounds) that startup ticking is NORMAL. It bugged me a lot. Thanks. - John

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
About a year ago, my brand new Ram 1500 did the same thing (ticking for 2-5 seconds at startup). I noticed one day that driving with MDS DISABLED (via +/- toggle on steering wheel), seemed to make it worse - or at least tick for sure at the next startup. I shortly thereafter tried leaving the MDS system alone, and let it do its thing switching to ECO mode whenever it wanted to. Almost magically, the ticking STOPPED. Maybe a fluke - who knows?? I intentionally started to let the system switch to ECO mode on final approach, before pulling into the driveway. Any time I did that, no more ticking at next startup. I also switched to Redline oil w/Fram Ultra - as a preventive measure. Knock on wood, but a few thousand miles later, still no ticking! Do keep in mind, that the Owner Manual indicates (as crazy as it sounds) that startup ticking is NORMAL. It bugged me a lot. Thanks. - John

That's super interesting, I'm one of those guys who never uses MDS, if it activates by accident once in the last 4 months I'll be surprised. Maybe that's why I get the rattle?

I hope it's not related to MDS because then I'm in trouble as I'm not going to use MDS to prevent a startup tick. The juice isn't worth the squeeze on that one lol.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do notice that if I do a cold start, I get no lifter tick but if I go somewhere local and shut it off 2 hours later start it up I get the lightly ticking but it goes away after 5-10 seconds, I personally think that some of the lifters are bleeding down, I'm using the 5w30w redline W royal purple 20-820 filter, I don't think I have a problem with the anti drain back valve.

gilleydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram larami
Engine
Redline 0w40 and Mopar filter works flawless in my 2017 5.7 never been this quite

Tom Dickerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 liter fixed for that. The right bank back two exhaust bolts had snapped, There is a template you can buy to drill out the sheared off studs to keep you straight and out of the water jacket. Sounds exactly like a flat lifter.