2017 RAM 1500, 5.7L, ~52,000 miles Continuos Overheated Mode even after parts replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlitchMobile

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2017 RAM 1500, 5.7L, ~52,000 miles Continuos Overheated Mode even after parts replacement.

Hi everyone, I've replaced

• the water temp sensor;
  • the thermostat;
  • the fan clutch;
  • the oil pressure temperature sensor;
  • and flushed out the entire cooling/heating and engine block system;
  • Burped the air out of the cooling system after refilling;
  • I've disconnected the battery overnight to reset the PCM;
  • I checked all the fuses, all ok;
  • tested all fuses, all functioning.
The next day the truck started. Temperature slowly increased up, until the dashboard lit up to indicate engine overheating.
Upon inspection with a temperature gun, the thermostat housing and engine were only 150F .

The dashboard display indicated outdoor temperature at 95F.

Technically the engine is not overheating (OEM thermostat opens at 203F), yet the PCM thinks otherwise.

Today (23Aug2021): cold engine 89F, reconnected the battery after 24hrs of it being disconnected.
Attempted to start the engine, but the dashboard indicates an overheated engine, even though the engine is at 89F
(Visited a nearby Chrysler dealer to ask the service/repair center, if there was a secondary thermo censor on the ram and they couldn't say.)

What could be causing the PCM to misread an overheating issue?
Is there a hidden second water temperature sensor, that works in tandem with the water temp sensor?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Hi everyone, I've replaced

• the water temp sensor;
  • the thermostat;
  • the fan clutch;
  • the oil pressure temperature sensor;
  • and flushed out the entire cooling/heating and engine block system;
  • Burped the air out of the cooling system after refilling;
  • I've disconnected the battery overnight to reset the PCM;
  • I checked all the fuses, all ok;
  • tested all fuses, all functioning.
The next day the truck started. Temperature slowly increased up, until the dashboard lit up to indicate engine overheating.
Upon inspection with a temperature gun, the thermostat housing and engine were only 150F .

The dashboard display indicated outdoor temperature at 95F.

Technically the engine is not overheating (OEM thermostat opens at 203F), yet the PCM thinks otherwise.

Today (23Aug2021): cold engine 89F, reconnected the battery after 24hrs of it being disconnected.
Attempted to start the engine, but the dashboard indicates an overheated engine, even though the engine is at 89F
(Visited a nearby Chrysler dealer to ask the service/repair center, if there was a secondary thermo censor on the ram and they couldn't say.)

What could be causing the PCM to misread an overheating issue?
Is there a hidden second water temperature sensor, that works in tandem with the water temp sensor?
You could have saved yourself some money had you connected a scan tool to the truck. A scan tool is like a window for us to be able to see what is going on inside.

With a scan tool you can tell whether or not the PCM is reporting incorrect data or if a sensor is reporting incorrect data.

With a good scan tool you can see the bussed inputs and outputs from each control module to see if each module is sending and receiving the same information.

I wouldn't do anything else to the truck until I had a scan tool connected and someone who knows what they are looking at to decipher the data.

OP
OP
G

GlitchMobile

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I connected an Autel MaxiCOM MK808 and it could not communicate with any module, until the overheated engine fault was erased by disconnecting the battery overnight.

Then the scan gauge confirmed a history of communication faults amongst all modules.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I connected an Autel MaxiCOM MK808 and it could not communicate with any module, until the overheated engine fault was erased by disconnecting the battery overnight.

Then the scan gauge confirmed a history of communication faults amongst all modules.
You were unable to communicate with any module on the truck until after that battery disconnect occured?

Do you have an actual "Scan Gauge" that will connect and communicate with the PCM?

What does the Autel scan tool show for engine coolant temp in the data stream?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You could have saved yourself some money had you connected a scan tool to the truck. A scan tool is like a window for us to be able to see what is going on inside.

With a scan tool you can tell whether or not the PCM is reporting incorrect data or if a sensor is reporting incorrect data.

With a good scan tool you can see the bussed inputs and outputs from each control module to see if each module is sending and receiving the same information.

I wouldn't do anything else to the truck until I had a scan tool connected and someone who knows what they are looking at to decipher the data.
What's a good scan tool for the average guy ?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That's info in and of itself. Wiring issue, be it a ground problem, damaged wire or even the possibility of a 'bad main board'. That last one is for fans of South Main Auto on YouTube.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's info in and of itself. Wiring issue, be it a ground problem, damaged wire or even the possibility of a 'bad main board'. That last one is for fans of South Main Auto on YouTube.
You are absolutely correct. With a history of "loss of communication" DTC's I would verify that every module was powered up and on the bus. Then I would verify communication by toggling inputs and outputs that are bussed to another module to see if the information was being sent and received properly.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What's a good scan tool for the average guy ?
I have been a mechanic for a long time and have used a multitude of scan tools. I always tell my customers or new mechanics the same thing. By the absolute best that you can afford. Do your due diligence and shop around and find the one(s) that will give you the best bang for the buck. Look for scan tools that have bi-directional control capabilities. Look for scan tools that have the capability to communicate with multiple modules.and not just the PCM. Find one that can communicate with the PCM, ABS, Airbags, TCM and as many as possible.

There are some good Bosch scan tools. Innova has a couple with bidirectional controls. One I personally use daily is this one...the link says amazon.com but it takes you directly to the one I am referring to..

I got a really awesome deal and even at $799 it is still a solid price point for the capabilities that it has. I have a SnapOn Triton D10 and a Verus Edge that I use for more in-depth diagnostics but the one I linked is a very good daily use scan tool.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I have been a mechanic for a long time and have used a multitude of scan tools. I always tell my customers or new mechanics the same thing. By the absolute best that you can afford. Do your due diligence and shop around and find the one(s) that will give you the best bang for the buck. Look for scan tools that have bi-directional control capabilities. Look for scan tools that have the capability to communicate with multiple modules.and not just the PCM. Find one that can communicate with the PCM, ABS, Airbags, TCM and as many as possible.

There are some good Bosch scan tools. Innova has a couple with bidirectional controls. One I personally use daily is this one...the link says amazon.com but it takes you directly to the one I am referring to..

I got a really awesome deal and even at $799 it is still a solid price point for the capabilities that it has. I have a SnapOn Triton D10 and a Verus Edge that I use for more in-depth diagnostics but the one I linked is a very good daily use scan tool.
Thanks @Fast69Mopar..........picked 1 up for $700 at obdprice.com with $20 off code
PR9NWA02J3Y5

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just bought a simple scanner
It tells me what is wrong & that lets me know if i can fix it myself or someone smarter than i

I just have an ACTRON scan tool
It at least reads ABS & Air Bags
picked it up at Pep Boys for something like $220 around 3 years back

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks @Fast69Mopar..........picked 1 up for $700 at obdprice.com with $20 off code
PR9NWA02J3Y5

Yeah man. I was pleasantly surprised with this kit. One of the reasons I liked it over so many others was for the vehicle connectors that it comes with. The MP808 or the DS808 do not come with as many.

The setup is pretty simple and everything is broken down like an app on your phone so it's easy to use.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Thanks for this .