2017 ram 1500 5th wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Number 1 - You don't have a 2019, you have a 2017, different towing capacities.
Number 2 - That number is likely a bumper pull trailer, not a 5th wheel.
Number 3 - You'd STILL be over your max payload and GAWR with a 5th wheel in that truck.

Don’t forget that 12,750 was attained with a flatbed and low drag load. Towing that in a box trailer behind a half ton, fuggedaboudit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd go buy a used 2500 if you insist on this strategy. Even an old HO cummins, probably can get one fairly cheap these days. Find an old dually, you will have no issues with 10k pounds. I'd want 4.11's or up. Might want a manual if you can find one, automatic transmsions will need some of the updates to last towing that weight.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OP, that is marketing hype. Yes, a 2019 1500 in the PERFECT configuration can tow "UP TO" that much weight as long as it is perfectly set up. That much weight, PERFECTLY spread out on a flatbed trailer, PERFECTLY balanced to get you a low tongue weight without an unbalanced load, PERFECTLY set up with a single cab 2wd truck with the best gears for towing in ideal situations can pull that weight.

However a travel trailer needs 12-15% tongue weight to prevent sway. To tow a 12750 lbs travel trailer at 15% tongue weight puts your hitch weight at 1912 lbs. I'm absolutely sure that your payload is significantly lower than 1912 lbs. You want to tow a 5th wheel, which requires 20-25% pin weight. Even 20% pin weight is 2550 lbs... that is absolutely 3/4 ton territory, maybe even 1 ton territory. Then read your owners manual about tow limitations in reference to frontal area

Take a picture of the yellow sticker by your front drivers door. That lists your payload. It says something like cargo and occupants can not weigh more than 1500 lbs, or something similar to that. That will give you a much more realistic idea about what is safe to pull.

Looking at the Ram tow guide, it appears you have to have a crew cab to get the 5.7 bed. ABSOLUTE BEST CASE SCENARIO you have 1630 lbs of payload with a V6, 1530 with a V8 and 1320 with the Ecodiesel. That is before you add options that weigh more. Before you add passengers. Before you add that cooler of beer. Before you add that 200 lbs sliding hitch.

It cannot be done. You will struggle to get moving. You will struggle to stop. You will get pushed over the road. Your tires will be at, if not over, max weight. Your axle will be over max weight. Your transmission will overheat. Your coolant will overheat. Everything about the ride will be terrible, stressful and uncomfortable. You will regret having spent the money for a trailer that you are not comfortable towing. It will be an expensive mistake.

Good luck, I really hope you take advice and make an intelligent decision. At the end of the day, you are responsible for your decisions on the road. The RV dealer that sold you too much trailer isn't responsible. The guy that installed your 5th wheel hitch in too light a truck isn't responsible. YOU are responsible.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2017_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few half-ton towable fifth wheels, but not many. Grand Design has a couple that an Ram 1500 could possibly tow, but you'd have to keep cargo in the truck and trailer to a minimum.

With that rig he's looking at, it's WAY over what the truck is safely capable of.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've seen a number of small fifth wheels being pulled by 1500 in my travels, even these smaller fivers have pin weights exceeding 2,000 pounds. I think it is foolish and dangerous. This is one of the reasons 2500s and 3500s are offered.

There are several issues to address that most don't think about until after. For example, truck cab versus fifth wheel cab clearance. Ideally, the pin on the fifth wheel sits over the rear axle so the critical measurement here is the distances from the back of the rear cab to the rear axle. Moving the pin weight behind the rear axle typically introduces oscillations (chucking) between the RV and the truck.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting - just looked at the Scamp 5th wheel, 19 feet long, and roughly 500 pounds of pin weight. Not in the market for one myself, but though I would share.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Sounds dangerously overloaded, and a hazard to everyone around you. Do you go hog hunting with a 10/22?
I've gone hog hunting with a suppressed 10/22 using subsonic rounds...
So have others.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Has anyone else noticed OP's avatar is (presumably) him standing next to a DRW Ram? Also, engine is listed as 6.7 diesel.

His last forum activity was in April. If not a troll, I'm betting he's stranded beside the road with 2 blown tires, shattered springs and a bent frame.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I was looking at 5th wheels, figure I have TuffTruck springs 5000lb air bags and Bilstiens shocks with my Hellwig and 10ply tires I could easily pull one around 12k.
Oh also have a mag hytek diff cover that adds more diff fluid so I should be good to go.
Oh I also painted my calipers RED so theres the better braking that I have now.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Has anyone else noticed OP's avatar is (presumably) him standing next to a DRW Ram? Also, engine is listed as 6.7 diesel.

His last forum activity was in April. If not a troll, I'm betting he's stranded beside the road with 2 blown tires, shattered springs and a bent frame.

Yep saw that right away...major troll activity.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I was looking at 5th wheels, figure I have TuffTruck springs 5000lb air bags and Bilstiens shocks with my Hellwig and 10ply tires I could easily pull one around 12k.
Oh also have a mag hytek diff cover that adds more diff fluid so I should be good to go.
Oh I also painted my calipers RED so theres the better braking that I have now.
LOL!!!!!!:dogpile:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It looks like he bought the 2018 in April according to his posts, and this thread was from Feb... So maybe he wasn't a troll after all and he really did listen to everyone.