2017 Ram 1500 buy recommendation please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am seriously considering to buy a 2017 Ram 1500 V8 Tradesman Quad 72k miles. I have the VIN and am going to visit a Dodge dealer to get the option list. I have been a Ford F150 owner for many years and don't know much about Ram 1500. Is it a good truck to buy? Since 2017 is near the end of 4th generation, I suppose most of production issues are ironed out. True? Thank you.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am seriously considering to buy a 2017 Ram 1500 V8 Tradesman Quad 72k miles. I have the VIN and am going to visit a Dodge dealer to get the option list. I have been a Ford F150 owner for many years and don't know much about Ram 1500. Is it a good truck to buy? Since 2017 is near the end of 4th generation, I suppose most of production issues are ironed out. True? Thank you.
Anything got to be better then a Ford haha.

2017 with 72k miles seems high. You getting a good deal on it.?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rupert35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My old 97 F150 is the base model. 2017 Ram 1500 is way better equipped. I am going by the Kelly book for price, about $27K for private sale. I would like to hear from 4 gen Ram owners on reliability. I am a DIY car repairer. Thank you.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

To answer the question you asked about whether they had worked out all the platform's faults by 2017... yes I believe most of what could be considered early flaws were resolved by 2017, some even suggest the lifter problem had a factory solution in place by then. The last chassis or powertrain change of any real consequence was 2013.

Really there hasn't been much wrong with these trucks. The Hemi's an established engine, the 8 speed continues to be one of the best transmissions ever made - or if your Tradesman has the 6 speed those had the last bugs really worked out by 2009 and it's a reliable piece of hardware these days.

Chassis complaints are minimal. the front sway bar end links apparently suffer short lifetimes though mine are still fine at 40k miles. Some people feel the payload rating is low compared to the market so verify the one you're looking at is rated for the work you plan to do.

Many owners advise changing transmission fluid well before the owners' manual suggests - I'm one of them. Any fluid advertised as lifetime just doesn't add up for me -not that either of the available transmissions is fragile but that quarter million mile club probably doesn't have a lot of original fluid in their transmission pans.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I came from a long line of F150s to Ram in 17 and love the truck. 87k trouble free miles, aside from 1 broken manifold bolt. Replaced manifolds with headers and expect no further issues. If the price is right (tough with the market right now), I wouldn’t hesitate.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you're going from a 97 to a 2017? I made the leap from a 98 to a new Bighorn in 2017. Talk about time travel shock. Welcome to the 21st century. You'll love it.

PS The neighbor kid still drives my old 97 Ram 1500.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Passenger side manifold bolts and the parking brake sticking are the only issues I've had on my 2017 Bighorn. 56k miles. There's lots of threads here on both issues. I'm assuming less road salt in TX so you probably wont have much issue with the parking brake. I came from an 04 Montero Sport, massive difference lol

OP
OP
R

Rupert35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the replies. The link for build sheet is much appreciated. The options list include:
40-20-40 split bench seat, Protection Group (?), Popular Equipment Group (?), 180 amp alternator, supp side curtain, 8 speed auto 8HP70, 3.92 axle ratio, trailer brake control, 5.7 HEMI MDS VVT, power tow heated mirror, HD trans oil cooler, Engine oil heat exchanger, 5" display, steel wheels, etc.

Tough market means tough to buyers? Because of high truck demand? I may have to pay more than Kelly book price. If I buy this vehicle, I will post more in the near future. Thank you.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
, Protection Group (?), Popular Equipment Group (?), .

I can't remember the exact language but protection group either means skidplates (transfer case, front axle, power steering rack - they are substantial steel underbody protection for rough terrain) or it means the floor mats.

If I recall from my Ram the popular equipment group is basics like carpeted floor (vs vinyl) and power door locks/windows (yeah crank was still an option, because it's baked into ancient bids from some fleet buyers)

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, tough market for buyers. Used vehicle prices are high right now due to the chip shortage delaying delivery of new vehicles.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
27k is steep with that milage, but there is the chip shortage, so they are banking on those used car prices. I have a 2012 never one issue other then the driver seat motor went out. I love it. I was a ford guy for a long time. I owned a 97 F150 extend cab 4.6 and a 02 single cab step side V6 5 speed. Both were decent trucks. I had lots of issues with the 4.6, but the V6 ran flawlessly for 140k when I sold it. You will really like the ram. I am now a mopar convert. We currently have 3 lol.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This truck would sell for $27K all day long today. I paid that for my 2019 Ram 1500 classic SLT w/ 15K miles on it in July 2020 as an ex-rental, but those days are gone at the moment. Same truck is $33K+ now.

Shouldn't be many differences between that 2017 and a new 2021 classic. My 2019 has some differences like the coolant 3-way valve being deleted and it has tie-bars between the exhaust manifold bolts and the manifolds. I'm not sure if they started those 'features' in 2018 or 2019.

If she hasn't seen any rust-belt use, the parking brake thing should be a non-issue, but I'd be sure to mash and release the P-brake a bunch of times. Make sure it holds and make sure you don' t see P-brake cable sag along the driver's side frame rail.

Dealer fix for the sticking P-brake is well over $1000 these days. New backing plate kits, etc.

Broken exh manifold bolts is the other super common thing. You'll hear a tick on startup that will go away and the heat shield will be loose on the effected manifold.

I owned a 2017 Ram 1500 express quad cab, 4x4, pentastar V6 for just under 60K miles. Loved that truck. Only traded it because I wanted a crew cab. Couldn't find a CC with the pentastar, which is why I have the hemi in my 2019.

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is also a known issue with the fuel level sensor in the fuel pumps. The little ceramic card gets rubbed raw on the sensor tick mark area. Symptoms are generally at a half tank, CEL will pop and the fuel gauge needle will jump straight to E.

I purchased a 2017 RCSB RT w/42k miles a few months ago and mine has this issue. I’m sure the first owner was banking on the dealer not ever noticing since it only happens at half tank. That aside, I do love my truck.

OP
OP
R

Rupert35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is OP. The main reason I am getting rid of 97 F150 is to give a ride to my grand children. My daughter insists on lane change assist/warning in the new vehicle. I am not sure but this 2017 doesn't seem to have that feature. When did this feature come to RAM pickups? Can it be retrofitted to 2017? Thank you.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 has lane departure warning... But so did my last, decades old 4x4 because it's a built in feature of my Garmin nav unit w/ dashcam which I have hard mounted ( no suction cup or exposed wire) on my dash.

As for integration in the truck... i don't think that showed up until 5th gens hit the scene