2017 Ram 1500 buy recommendation please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Like the author of this thread, I too made the switch from f-150 to a Ram. I had a 2001 bubble body stile F-150 that i used for my landscaping company. This new truck is hands down, 100x better, but it should be. Technology from then till now is lightyears improved. , I honestly didn't want to make the switch to a Ram but there is S*** for used truck out there right now. I'm still a Ford fan, and always will be. But more importantly, I'm more of a "buy American" kind of guy. I just couldn't find anything in a crew cab with a 6'+ bed. I found my 2017 Ram Sport and pulled the trigger. It's a nice truck and all, but the 15mpg on the highway is a far cry from the 24mpg my papa is getting in his 2016 EcoBoost F-150. I think his is faster too, and that 10 speed transmission in the Fords is KING. Don't get me wrong, I like my new-ish Ram truck. I've already taken it off road, and pulled the SxS across the country with it. It tows nice, it's comfortable and I love the storage space in the cab. I think I'll learn to love this truck as time goes on. I'm still getting used to it. It just lacks that, hauls some serious ass and put a smile on your face feeling I get when i drive my papa's EcoBoost. I can see why Ford is the best selling truck. But Ram is making huge strides.

I love what VR said: As they say.. A Ford owner will never buy a GM and a GM owner will never buy a Ford but…. Both Ford & GM owners will consider buying a Ram truck.. So True.

15mpg is low... you must be heavy footing it or driving on a grade. I get 18.5mpg city all under 40mpg speeds and very hilly. On the highway I manage 20-21mpg and was getting 22-23mpg with shorty headers.

Wait till your papa has to replace those turbos bc they will fail and push oil out the exhaust. I had a electrician friend who had a ford f150 sport 2017 I think and the eco boost had already gone through 2 sets of replacement turbos (thats 3 sets including factory or 6 turbos) and he's idling in my driveway with blue smoke out the exhaust. Ford dealer is refusing to replace his turbos again and the truck had less than 50k miles. He now drives a 2019 Ram 1500 and loves it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
They will only last longer Nevaeh nobody wants to drive one. Had one as acompany truck, actually we had 2. They are the most uncomfortable truck I've ever sit in. Horrible bush truck, didn't handle dirt roads well at all. Then on the highway, they felt like i was driving a 70000lb cardboard box. Just horrible all around. I couldn't wait for my old beat on 2002 ram to come back from its scheduled service. Took 3 extra days because i had 2 blown shocks and the parts place mixed up 2 deliveries... That sucks when we are working 300km from nearest town

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I've been in a couple. There not horrible but the interior is so cheap looking.

Like the Charger, Challenger. I can't believe it's been so long before a update. Yet people still buy them.

DarrenMeBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
If you like European cars you will prefer RAM. The driving experience and interior like a MB. Chevy drives good but infotainment and uncomfortable seats and Ford not very good driver but Ford does 95% very good but that 5% hurts . and resale not good. New Toyota looks like a big player :) I buy best truck for my money and not brand loyal.

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
15mpg is low... you must be heavy footing it or driving on a grade.

Wait till your papa has to replace those turbos bc they will fail and push oil out the exhaust. .
That's what someone else said to me about the MPG. :angels2: I swear to God I'm barely touching the gas petal.

:driver:I took a deliberate trip down the flat interstate for about 30 miles (60 miles round trip) and for realz, I was barely squeezing 17 MPG on the highway. I can see that silly MPG thing peg up to 99 at times, and the little green "ECO" symbol come on. I was going about 65 at first, then I slowed down to 60, then even down to 55. Not using Cruise Control either. Slight more gas on the subtle downhills to gain a little extra momentum and coast back up the hill. I swear to :hail:God I'm not lying.

Maybe I have to change the 16! sparkplugs? :emotions122: Say what you will about a TT F-150, 6 sparkplugs and your done.

LOL, Papa's used to hearing the "wait till you have to replace those turbos" argument from Ram and Chevy guys. :bs:He's gone 100K+ and it's never been in the shop. Plus my Father in law was a 2014 EcoBoost (or maybe a 2015?) and his is still running strong too. Both of them have given me so much crap for switching to a Ram.

:emotions133: My papa does admit however, that the EcoBoost is more of an Eco-or-Boost engine, not really both. But still, 24 MPG on the highway speaks for itself.

I'm still hoping I learn to love the truck I got. I'm stuck with it now, that's for sure. Interior is better than my dads XLT crap with a folding center con. :***:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I love my 2017 Big Horn. I tow my 30' travel trailer (~7600# loaded) with it in the mountains of the Southwest. Solid performer. The back seats have so much room in my CC that my 3 dogs think it's their personal sofa. 50k miles right now. Had the dreaded Hemi Tick, but fixed under warranty, no charge. Changed all fluids at 48k miles, just don't know how this truck was used its first 40k miles of life, now I have a level-set on how it's been treated. I have the 3:92 gears and Ram Boxes, I wouldn't live without either. The gears hurt MPG, so if you're not planning on towing anything heavy, stick with the stock gears. It has the towing package too, with the tow mirrors and built-in trailer brake controller. Would consider that required if towing anything heavy. Those mirrors are so big, I can see into last week, you do loose power fold though.

how was your hemi tick fixed ? Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rupert35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one more question. I need to have a child car seat (rear facing) in the rear seat. Does the rear seat have loops to attach child seat? Thank you.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you mean the steel loops at the base of the seat to clip the baby seat to, yes there are three pairs on my 2017.

Also loops at the top of the seat for the strap if forward facing.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have one more question. I need to have a child car seat (rear facing) in the rear seat. Does the rear seat have loops to attach child seat? Thank you.

The Latch system cleats? Yes, like said, they are on the rear wall of the cab on quad and crew cabs. You can also do the super cool rear seat mod which allows you to flop the rear seat back down to give you slightly more storage, allow you to clean the rear window easier and allows you to check for 3rd brake light and rear cab vent water leaks easier.