2017 Ram 1500 Fuel tank strap issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjyakich

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Currently on a camping trip and noticed my fuel tank hanging low. Upon further investigation, the front strap has pulled out of the frame. The t- shape hole in the frame has rotted out and let the strap go. The strap then road on the aluminum driveshaft and caused light damage. Has anyone else had this issue. I read about a recall for 2009-2012. I just filled the 32 gallon tank. Would have been a huge catastrophe if if fell out with a travel trailer behind.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear that, really sucks. You must be up in the rust belt? I’ve replaced a fuel tank on my 2018 BigHorn but would be at a loss if the frame was rusted out. Hopefully it can be welded and the amount of rust damage to your frame isn’t extensive.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2011 was fixed under recall type your vin in here https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls to check for recalls If not they make a piece to fix thats what dealer used on mine. It is not hard at all will see if I can find it tomorrow also consider coating your frame to protect the rest.

OP
OP
M

mjyakich

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
I do reside in Wisconsin, however, there is virtually no rust or corrosion under the truck, except for the fuel tank mount location. I'm sure I can remove the tank and repair/weld the affected area. Just wanted to see if anyone experienced the same issues on post 2012 models, outside the previous recall. Thank you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One thing that you could and should do
is file a complaint with

OP
OP
M

mjyakich

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
So, I did file a complaint to the NHTSA to help record this issue. I called my local Ram dealer and he informed me that "I have an extended warranty for this problem" apparently not an actual recall yet, is how I understood this. They installed a repair strap mount to the frame and replaced both tank straps "under warranty". Hope no one else has this issue, but if you do, see a good Ram service center and they should resolve this. Thanks for the input.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I did file a complaint to the NHTSA to help record this issue. I called my local Ram dealer and he informed me that "I have an extended warranty for this problem" apparently not an actual recall yet, is how I understood this. They installed a repair strap mount to the frame and replaced both tank straps "under warranty". Hope no one else has this issue, but if you do, see a good Ram service center and they should resolve this. Thanks for the input.
Thanks for the update. So many people don't update their threads and it ends up not helping anyone.