2017 ram 1500, nothing happens when I turn the key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kanechet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi, first post here. Looking for some insight or possible starting point for figuring out what's wrong with my truck. I started when I was driving and all the instruments on my dash started going crazy, windscreen wipers came on, every possible light was on and my speedometer was dancing etc. I lost traction control and cruise control. I pulled over to turn it off and turn it back on to see if that would help. When I went to try and start it again, nothing happened, the gauges twitched a bit but that's it, wouldn't do anything, couldn't roll windows up or change in to neutral to push it. Any help is appreciated

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can easily put the Ram in Neutral
there is a panel where your E Brake release handle is
There is another panel just above it
Open the second panel
You will see a red strap handle
unhook the handle off the loop
if you look at the device where the strap attaches
you will notice a little locking device
Pushing on that device with a key or screw driver should release it as you pull on the strap

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything going crazy: Electrical.

1) Battery (#1 cause of issues, bad battery and/or bad ground). U have 2017 Truck, these new batteries not last forever, 1st to check.
2) Loose/badly connector interior connected. On floorboard, firewall, above to left of brake pedal to the right of E Brake: There are 1-3 white connectors: All the major wiring runs through those. Check and make sure they are all properly connected and locked closed.
3) There is a connector like on firewall under frame, truck, slightly fwd of drivers seat that can become unconnected. That would be the 3rd thing. After that, trip to good mechanic or dealer, IMHO...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hopefully it is not the Ignition Switch itself

They are not cheap & they need to be programmed

There are several Youtube Videos that cover the 2017 Ram ignition switch

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Any Updates on what you found ?

Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kanechet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Going to mess around with it today after work and I will update on what I find

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thank you

Kevinsull03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, first post here. Looking for some insight or possible starting point for figuring out what's wrong with my truck. I started when I was driving and all the instruments on my dash started going crazy, windscreen wipers came on, every possible light was on and my speedometer was dancing etc. I lost traction control and cruise control. I pulled over to turn it off and turn it back on to see if that would help. When I went to try and start it again, nothing happened, the gauges twitched a bit but that's it, wouldn't do anything, couldn't roll windows up or change in to neutral to push it. Any help is appreciated
Any update? I’m having the same issue. Yesterday I went to start the truck and nothing happened. I have had this happen a handful of times. The ignition switch has been replaced twice. After I wait awhile it starts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any update? I’m having the same issue. Yesterday I went to start the truck and nothing happened. I have had this happen a handful of times. The ignition switch has been replaced twice. After I wait awhile it starts.
If you don't have one of these,well worth picking one up,and then you can do your own battery load tests.That's where i'd start.