2017 Ram 1500 Rear Spring Questions for Truck Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brahma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks- I'm basically totally lost about even if it is possible to beef up me rear suspension (springs, etc..) to b able to have more load capacity to get anything but the most basic, lightweight truck camper in it. Are beefier rear springs only what it takes to get more load? Looking at Palimino, my 2017 could only allow for one of their lightest soft side campers, which is not what I want.

Thanks-

Brahma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am an RV tech and I can tell you if you get a backpack camper the lightest will be your only option anything heavier you need to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. If you don’t want it to squat your truck get air bags for the rear springs( less then $200 on Amazon) but if you don’t mind me asking why not get a tow behind camper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the payload police will be along shortly to berate you in thinking heavy duty spring can increase the load capacity beyond what the door sticker says.
Payload of the 1500 isn't one of the strong suits, most usually prefer to add upgraded springs, airbags and/or higher load tires to carry the load, pay attention to the GAWRs when loading the truck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to pipe in one more time forget suspension, your trans and rear end aren’t geared for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just to pipe in one more time forget suspension, your trans and rear end aren’t geared for it
U have no clue what your talking about, even with 3.21 gearing the transmission and rear end are good for at least a 8K lbs trailer that will put a lot more load then an in bed camper will. The same transmission (along with cooling) will tow over 10K.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Check out "Sumo Springs". Etrailer.com sells them.

OP
OP
B

Brahma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the payload police will be along shortly to berate you in thinking heavy duty spring can increase the load capacity beyond what the door sticker says.
Payload of the 1500 isn't one of the strong suits, most usually prefer to add upgraded springs, airbags and/or higher load tires to carry the load, pay attention to the GAWRs when loading the truck.

Well, that's what I want to know- are springs and /or bags all that is needed to raise the load li it?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Changing springs might make it feel better but will not increase your legal capacities. You will still put increased pressure and wear on your brakes and steering. Remember, while you might be able to tow 8000lbs behind your truck, that 8000lb travel trailer has it's own brakes to assist stopping. Also, you have front and rear axle capacities listed inside your drivers door jamb. Exceeding those can cause premature bearing or axle failure.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Hey folks- I'm basically totally lost about even if it is possible to beef up me rear suspension (springs, etc..) to b able to have more load capacity to get anything but the most basic, lightweight truck camper in it. Are beefier rear springs only what it takes to get more load? Looking at Palimino, my 2017 could only allow for one of their lightest soft side campers, which is not what I want.

Thanks-

Brahma

Everyone I know who added airbags, springs, axles and transmissions, to try to build up a truck, regretted not just putting that money into a truck built for what they needed to haul or pull. Their breakdowns required more money to be spent to haul/tow their stuff to a repair place.

Or you can reinvent the wheel and experience those things for yourself. Find someone who has updated their 1500 to do what you want to do, and see what they experienced. Many boards are full of folks who have previously done what you are asking about. I know many have now bought the 3/4 or 1 ton to do the tasks they need.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are dreaming of something like this, you are out of luck with a half ton truck. Our truck camper sits on a CCLB dually.
20210517_143141.jpg
I have a 1500 with a payload of 1358lb, only the lightest bare bones slide in campers would fit with not much left for supplies.
Yes you can upgrade springs, sway bar, add air bags, better tires, but you are only improving load handling not load capacity.

Look at the campers you want and get an idea of weight. Remember that the advertised dry weight doesn't include options like microwave, awning etc which can add 100s of pounds. Add another 500 to 1000 lb to that dry weight for a rough wet and loaded weight.
Then find a truck that has at least that much payload.

Or consider a towable. They're cheaper than slide in campers and our 1500s can tow a decent trailer as long as you don't go nuts or load the bed with too much stuff.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
B

Brahma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok- thanks everyone.