2017 Ram 1500 ticking in heater fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is this common?
Ram 1500 w/32,000 miles(under warranty)

There’s a very subtle ticking in the fan blower. It matches the speed of the fan so is it a stuck leaf or bearing out in the fan?

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got it, too. 2017 1500 BH, 20K miles. Notable when it's cold, seems to fade after the trucks been running awhile.

It's going in soon for its 20K mile checkup - I'll ask then.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had that kind of noise in many cars. Slight ticking at low fan speed is normal. If it gets louder it the bearings start squealing it's time to replace the blower motor.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Is this common?
Ram 1500 w/32,000 miles(under warranty)

There’s a very subtle ticking in the fan blower. It matches the speed of the fan so is it a stuck leaf or bearing out in the fan?

I got it, too. 2017 1500 BH, 20K miles. Notable when it's cold, seems to fade after the trucks been running awhile.

Hi @NikNak - we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you decide to address this with your dealer, kindly let us know via private message.

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings, @RaftingDave. If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares

Bill Cats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a 2016 ,, I had the exact same issue --- IF u have a 3 WIRE plug u should read this --- EVERYWHERE I checked the motors were 40 bucks and INCORRECT ( 2 wire ) or at the dealer and 275.00. Really lol I found the exact correct- installed and working fan assembly for 69.00 ))
I posted to this forum and NO one clearly anserered when I asked for the part number for the 3 wire fan , the BIG assumption was IF u had a 3 wire fan then u have climate control,, THAT is INCORRECT !!!! - all a 3 wire plug means is the resistor is BUILT into the fan assembly ))
OK if u have the 3 wire fan - I will attach the actual ITEM and number fan assembly you need here -- TYC 700308 - this is a generic number and it sources to many places - this is the number that dealer doesn't want us to have !!!! Believe me !))

Screenshot_20191231-083649.png

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
This is one of the few instances where you may need to purchase an OEM part to be completely happy (albeit not from the dealership for their ridiculous pricing). If you do some reading, you'll find a ton of the TYC and many aftermarket blowers are terribly balanced/quality controlled, and are often noisy out of the box.

Bill Cats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is one of the few instances where you may need to purchase an OEM part to be completely happy (albeit not from the dealership for their ridiculous pricing). If you do some reading, you'll find a ton of the TYC and many aftermarket blowers are terribly balanced/quality controlled, and are often noisy out of the box.
Right,,, :))) Mine works perfect at 69 bucks - WHY do we think that certain " Holy Grail " parts like a blower motor must be OEM lol ,,, wow,, Its NOT as 6.0 power stroke Pressure check valve for HPOP Oil pressure-- its a blower motor :)))

I have an idea - I could start selling them and giving a 3 year warnt for 2 bucks a year,,, ouch that's right - I bought that,, :)))

I took the " risk " with my blower motor that OEM sources parts dont really balance within 100 Mili grams :)) does ANYONE that owns a dodge think that realistically RAM has some quality assurance process that they are " balanced better"" lol - BUT tick by the masses in a year or 2 --- the lies that OEM is " quality " is a fairy tail when it comes to a blower motor ... RAM puts a bid out globally,, and whomever can get the cheapest price in and has a reputation OR balance sheet that OEM can guess they will be around for 8 years GETS the bid ... period,,,, really...

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Right,,, :))) Mine works perfect at 69 bucks - WHY do we think that certain " Holy Grail " parts like a blower motor must be OEM lol ,,, wow,, Its NOT as 6.0 power stroke Pressure check valve for HPOP Oil pressure-- its a blower motor :)))

I have an idea - I could start selling them and giving a 3 year warnt for 2 bucks a year,,, ouch that's right - I bought that,, :)))

I took the " risk " with my blower motor that OEM sources parts dont really balance within 100 Mili grams :)) does ANYONE that owns a dodge think that realistically RAM has some quality assurance process that they are " balanced better"" lol - BUT tick by the masses in a year or 2 --- the lies that OEM is " quality " is a fairy tail when it comes to a blower motor ... RAM puts a bid out globally,, and whomever can get the cheapest price in and has a reputation OR balance sheet that OEM can guess they will be around for 8 years GETS the bid ... period,,,, really...

Glad you had a good experience, but there are a lot of opinions and assumptions stated as facts in your reply here.

Sometimes the manufacturer that just happens to be OEM does a better job than the other manufacturers at quality control and/or manufacturing. It has nothing to do with the fact that FCA chose them to be OEM or not.

I do not claim to be an expert on blowers, but if you research people's real world experiences, you'll see in the majority of cases, the OEM blower motors (whomever they are made by) have better odds at being quieter.

Just my two cents.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this in my 2015. It is only when it is set to the floor and only when heater is all the way up. Have had this since I bought the truck and after the 7th time at the dealer and they couldn't figure it out I finally gave up and don't turn it all the way up. They replaced the blend door and the blower motor and no change.

Bill Cats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you had a good experience, but there are a lot of opinions and assumptions stated as facts in your reply here.

Sometimes the manufacturer that just happens to be OEM does a better job than the other manufacturers at quality control and/or manufacturing. It has nothing to do with the fact that FCA chose them to be OEM or not.

I do not claim to be an expert on blowers, but if you research people's real world experiences, you'll see in the majority of cases, the OEM blower motors (whomever they are made by) have better odds at being quieter.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you 100% when its a critical part im all in,, like I was saying a oil pressure or crank sensor ,, I really think your correct,,
I was just saying when the OEM ones suck,, as in the blower motor case ,, and the $$ difference is such a difference ,, as to not warrant that kind of margin,, its kind of sad to see dodge slamming us on this part and knowing the MTF is very bad, -- well then I take that risk :)) with a 3 year warnt,, and keep my ticking one to use IF my 3 year warrantee 69 dollar one fails and I have to send it back for a free replacement ---
I will concede ur right in general and in general I do use OEM parts --:))

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Still under warranty then get it fixed as it's not normal. I've had parts break in the cooling system and fall into the fan making a rattle until it spun fast enough to keep the loose object in place. Out of warranty the first thing to do is drop the fan and check for stuff in it and good rotation as that's a quick job. Only 1 plug and 3 screws if memory serves me.

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Hope you aren't out of warranty … mine was 1 month away from 36months. They replaced the blower motor & fan. All under warranty.

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi @NikNak - we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you decide to address this with your dealer, kindly let us know via private message.

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings, @RaftingDave. If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares
Thanks - Local Tuttle Click dealer in Tustin CA did it fast and …. no longer ticking.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OEM or not, what is the actual cause of the ticking? Is the squirrel cage wobbling and hitting the housing? If bearings, could a squirt of HD oil/grease/lube solve the issue?

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope you aren't out of warranty … mine was 1 month away from 36months. They replaced the blower motor & fan. All under warranty.

Not past warranty, not even close. Only had the truck 27 months.

I'll add to the list - squeaky brakes, disappointing rear defrost, blower motor and fan. Thx !

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks - Local Tuttle Click dealer in Tustin CA did it fast and …. no longer ticking.

Thank you for sharing this update, so glad to hear it! Please do not hesitate to send us a PM if any assistance is needed down the road.

Mark
RamCares

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a '12 laramie limited. Bought the truck in 16 with 60k on it and i think the blower had a tick then and sometimes it wouldnt work. Finally decided to change it out with one from oreillys. It was the best they had around $100. It was louder than oem but no ticking. Its probably been close to a year and this one is ticking now. My blower gets used alot though. Its on 95% of the time. Now i think im having air flow issues. Like something is the dash is blocking air or there is an air leak.