2017 Ram 1500 Whipple 2.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running this blower and have good/bad input about it?

Getting ready to have this blower kit installed on my 2017 Night Edition 4wd Regular cab with 3.92 gears. Currently has electric fan conversion, vararam intake “will be for sale”, ported TB “will be for sale”, JBA 1 3/4 long tubes, mufflex 24” kit, 180 TStat and Hemifever tune. Going to run the factory Hellcat injectors and factory Hellcat TB off my Challenger Hellcat. Bigger ported TB should help bump the power some more.

Ordered the Whipple kit with billet fuel rails, upgraded intake and map sensor.
I also have FR 22x10 satin black hellcat replicas on order with 305/45/22 Hankook ST RH06 tires.

Anyone running a catch can with one?

212055FA-768C-4CA9-BA27-AB8204FF82CF.jpeg

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There are a few sure they will chime in.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I run a dual can set up. These pics are old, the one that says oil catch can is now vented. I just put a small filter on the outlet.
I would recommend not pushing the boost past 9 pounds.
I did and am now getting a 392 built because of a piston failure.
IMG-0404.JPG IMG-0405.JPG

IMG-0407.JPG

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Do you have to pin the crank pulley on that whipple, running an ATI?

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
The whipple kit came with two pins for the stock pulley and the ATI 18% overdrive has an option for two but I only got the single pin kit. ATI said it would be fine for my application.

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know some use the mighty mouse with the whipple.

I mostly stopped by to say that is one sweet sexy truck. I am partial to regular cabs. :)

Thanks! I have always liked regular cabs too. This one was hard to find when I bought it new. Regular cab with 4wd is not common. Stop back by when I post pics with the new wheels on.

I run a dual can set up. These pics are old, the one that says oil catch can is now vented. I just put a small filter on the outlet.
View attachment 216576 View attachment 216577

View attachment 216578

Ok cool. I will most likely run a Mighty Mouse catch can on the positive side and maybe a generic one for the negative side. I plan on leaving it at whatever it runs out of the box. I would think the bigger TB might cause it to run a little more boost but the full exhaust should help even it back out. Maybe build the motor in a couple years. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. Another decade at least.

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The whipple kit came with two pins for the stock pulley and the ATI 18% overdrive has an option for two but I only got the single pin kit. ATI said it would be fine for my application.

How does the boost feel. Some complain about the boost being like a light switch but I’m used to that with my C7 ZO6 corvette anyway. Just gotta be easy in the throttle and know what you’re driving.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
How does the boost feel. Some complain about the boost being like a light switch but I’m used to that with my C7 ZO6 corvette anyway. Just gotta be easy in the throttle and know what you’re driving.
I wouldn't describe it as a light switch. It's a sudden rush but it's not quite so binary.

It also depends on the transmission tune. If you leave the transmission tune stock it will cut power unless conditions are perfect. What I mean by that is say you floor it from a dead stop the computer will cut power until it decides the transmission can handle it. Mainly from a stop or low speeds and you floor it it will pull timing.
I thought I was getting SC belt slip or something at first. Some times it would feel fast and then other times I would hit the gas and it would just fall flat on it's face. I was like WTF?
Then I managed to destroy the transmission anyway and when I upgraded it I had it tuned and HOLY ****. Ok there's the power!
So I guess long story short is if you want your transmission to last I would leave the torque management alone for the most part but it will kill the fun sometimes.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks! I have always liked regular cabs too. This one was hard to find when I bought it new. Regular cab with 4wd is not common. Stop back by when I post pics with the new wheels on.

Come to Canada,you can't find a 2 wheel drive truck up here. I had my local dealer do a Canada wide search for a 2 wheel drive regular cab R/T or at the very least a loaded Express,wasn't one to be found at the time,so i ended up buying a regular cab loaded up 4X4 Sport instead,lol. You're just in the wrong part of North America,lol

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That makes sense. I will take a hit on speed to have the durability of still having 4wd. That’s why I got one. Plus I planned on keeping it a long time. Multipurpose two door.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That makes sense. I will take a hit on speed to have the durability of still having 4wd. That’s why I got one. Plus I planned on keeping it a long time. Multipurpose two door.

You're not going to take much of a hit on speed. There's a few 4X4's running in the 11's,mine runs 12.02 at 3600ft DA,and i chickened out at 153 mph,lol

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow I wasn’t expecting to have a chance at 11’s. Let alone when it comes time to build the motor and freshen the trans and add a few psi.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
View attachment 216576 View attachment 216577

View attachment 216578

Is that what happened to your engine? Piston grenaded? Could have closed a ring gap too. That’ll blow a piston right away.

Are you running a breather can now as well? Which one did you go with?

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was running the moroso can on mine but it would be full in less than 500km. I upgraded to a Mighty Mouse set up and now I barely get anything. Mainly moisture in the colder temps. I do get some going through the breather hose, might put a can there as well.

Make sure you get a custom tune from a reliable source. The whipple tunes seem to be extremely rich and a little high on the timing. I blew my engine in the winter time. Had someone look at the tune and agreed, it was way to fat and to much timing. The stock pistons have an issue with the top ring land, it’s very close to the top of the piston and it’s a weak point when you add boost. As long as you keep the boost under 8lbs or so you should be ok. That being said if set aside some funds just incase.

The transmission will be fine as long as you leave most of the torque management on. Ya it kills power at times but it also makes it live in
a truck that makes 500hp at the wheels. Even paramount who builds built 8 speeds recommends to leave it on their transmissions.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Is that what happened to your engine? Piston grenaded? Could have closed a ring gap too. That’ll blow a piston right away.

Are you running a breather can now as well? Which one did you go with?
I got a breather can in addition to the main can off the PCV. The main can is a mishimoto and the breather can is some cheap ebay special.
Yeah piston grenaded and took out the valve or the valve dropped and took out the piston...
Good times.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Pretty much what happened to mine. Mine punched a hole in the block and took out one of the heads too. Was pretty spectacular, and expensive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Pretty much what happened to mine. Mine punched a hole in the block and took out one of the heads too. Was pretty spectacular, and expensive.

Wait till you window a block at 125+mph and it dumps oil under the slicks Dan,fun like you wouldn't believe,that's when you start thinking,damn it's a good thing i put a cage in this thing,lol.

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn! Good thing I have quality 93 here. I was going to use Hemifever for the tune.

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Man, I think this is a great idea for a street blown setup. I had a stock blown TBird V6 years back and that was joy to cruise over Donor Pass and all thru the Sierra !
I dream of something like this on my 360 Magnum built to 408 cu in in y '96 Ram 4X4.
Things are on hold due to getting T Boned in my '67 Hemi car and $50,00 damage. The war is on with insurance now !!
Youall have a great day !