2017 Ram Hemi sounds like a clattering heap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this issue, I think many if not all do have it as well.

In my case changing to srt oil filter seems to prevent it from happening. It did happen with stock and both size rp filters, but the srt filter is still quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I searched, think i got what i need. Looking into the SRT filter.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's the theory behind that?

Quiet on start up and redline? Could be many things, molybdenum plates over time this is what the industry uses for dry starts, esters are micro lubricants that don't break down under heat as much and are polar by nature, high additives that are also sacrificial in their formula, or even branched chain pao molecules. There is so many things different in the redline formula, hard to say which is killing the ticks. But, if it sounds like exhaust leak redline will do zip for ya. Get underneath truck and check the mani bolts.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Usually if it is hemi tick lifter related, you will hear it at warm idle. Sometimes less then, but you will hear unwelcome sewing machine sound at warm idle.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure sounds horrible - but goes away after a few seconds.
Where do you guys get redline at?
Oil thread has so many pages & opinions. Hard to decipher what is what.?

I get mine at a local import parts place like a mile from my house that is cheaper than anywhere online.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OP - what you're describing is lifter tick, not hemi tick. Using 5w30 PYB solved all lifter tick for me except the exact situation you describe. For me, I just let the truck warm up if i have to move it into the driveway or something. I'm looking forward to trying the SRT filter and see if that helps for the rare occasion I can't let the truck warm up. There is one other way to stop this from happening though. If you floor the gas pedal and start the truck it will just keep cranking. The lifter will have an opportunity to pump up while the engine slowly cranks for 3-5 seconds. Then start the truck and it won't make the noise. :)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still think we are all hearing different things and labeling them differently.

1. "Normal" lifter tick at startup: a faint ticking for 5-10 seconds after the truck has sat for a long-ish time (usually more than overnight, although my old Frontier did this at every startup). I assume the oil runs back out of the lifters, maybe not completely, and it takes a bit for them to fill up again. I hear it on my truck and it doesnt bother me at all because of previous experience with other vehicles (see my 2001 Frontier)

2. God awful loud tick that is more of a knocking noise for 5 seconds or so - this will happen after "I started the truck to move it to other side of driveway then turned it off....the next time I started it up it sounded like it was going to explode". This seems "normal" for the Hemi even though Ive never heard it on any other engine. SRT filter (at least in my case) seems to have helped mine.

3. Broken exhaust manifold bolts - loud-ish ticking (although not as loud as #2 on this list) that seems to occur for a few minutes and/or until the engine warms up and "seals" the manifold to the block again.

4. Actual honest to goodness Hemi tick - upper end (?) ticking noise that occurs even when the engine is warm/hot. Louder than injectors (although our injectors seem loud to begin with), louder than #1 on the list but quieter than #2.

5. Piston slap - bottom end very slight knocking noise, especially when cold. Mine seems to do this even when warm/hot, but if it really is piston slap, it should not necessarily affect the life of the engine just based on what is really happening

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still think we are all hearing different things and labeling them differently.

1. "Normal" lifter tick at startup: a faint ticking for 5-10 seconds after the truck has sat for a long-ish time (usually more than overnight, although my old Frontier did this at every startup). I assume the oil runs back out of the lifters, maybe not completely, and it takes a bit for them to fill up again. I hear it on my truck and it doesnt bother me at all because of previous experience with other vehicles (see my 2001 Frontier)

2. God awful loud tick that is more of a knocking noise for 5 seconds or so - this will happen after "I started the truck to move it to other side of driveway then turned it off....the next time I started it up it sounded like it was going to explode". This seems "normal" for the Hemi even though Ive never heard it on any other engine. SRT filter (at least in my case) seems to have helped mine.

3. Broken exhaust manifold bolts - loud-ish ticking (although not as loud as #2 on this list) that seems to occur for a few minutes and/or until the engine warms up and "seals" the manifold to the block again.

4. Actual honest to goodness Hemi tick - upper end (?) ticking noise that occurs even when the engine is warm/hot. Louder than injectors (although our injectors seem loud to begin with), louder than #1 on the list but quieter than #2.

5. Piston slap - bottom end very slight knocking noise, especially when cold. Mine seems to do this even when warm/hot, but if it really is piston slap, it should not necessarily affect the life of the engine just based on what is really happening

Best Description of all the different issues I've seen. We do seem to call all of them the hemi tick, but they are different. I am a little confused on the SRT filter. I got one and couldn't put it on, the damn thing is like a 5 gallon bucket compared to the normal sized filter they recommend. Even the rubber oil seal diameter is about 2 mil. different. Unless I somehow got a different SRT filter? Am I missing something there or are you guys just screwing the big ol giant can on there and it's working well?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best Description of all the different issues I've seen. We do seem to call all of them the hemi tick, but they are different. I am a little confused on the SRT filter. I got one and couldn't put it on, the damn thing is like a 5 gallon bucket compared to the normal sized filter they recommend. Even the rubber oil seal diameter is about 2 mil. different. Unless I somehow got a different SRT filter? Am I missing something there or are you guys just screwing the big ol giant can on there and it's working well?
The part number for the filter is 05038041AA.

It's larger diameter for sure... If you've ever seen the royal purple 20-820 filter, it's the same size as that. Gasket looked same size as the rp as well.

The threads are same as stock so it will spin on just fine. The bigger diameter makes it a bit challenging to get started if you have electric steering, but it's definitely doable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here we go again..... use 5w 30.... NOT!!! The lifters are losing prime. Short start and stop doesn’t let the oil pressure rise enough to flow into the lifters. You use heavier oil it will simply make it worse. Oil needs to flow into the lifter quickly, thicker oil, slower flow.... you are doing no damage at all, it just sounds ******.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here we go again..... use 5w 30.... NOT!!! The lifters are losing prime. Short start and stop doesn’t let the oil pressure rise enough to flow into the lifters. You use heavier oil it will simply make it worse. Oil needs to flow into the lifter quickly, thicker oil, slower flow.... you are doing no damage at all, it just sounds ******.

Didn't make mine worse, made it better.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That would be a great explanation, except for the fact that it doesnt happen under any other circumstance. Like if I drive home from work and park the truck....the next startup does not have the horrible clacking/knocking noise.

The lifters dont lose prime after sitting overnight following a normal drive?

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happened a number of times for me during my most recent OCI. It only happened if I ran the truck for a short period. One time it happened when I drove a few blocks to the convenience store then started it back up.

I had the oil analyzed at blackstone and they didn't find excessive wear. Look at my most recent post on the oil analysis thread. If something internally was damaged the analysis report would have picked up on it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Video taken this morning, 18F outdoor temp.

Last night I moved the truck from the street into my driveway and shut it down, so it ran for about 45 seconds then sat for 12 hours.

Pardon the "normal characteristic" whining at startup....my dealer says it isnt loud enough to be considered bad (smh).

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Video taken this morning, 18F outdoor temp.

Last night I moved the truck from the street into my driveway and shut it down, so it ran for about 45 seconds then sat for 12 hours.

Pardon the "normal characteristic" whining at startup....my dealer says it isnt loud enough to be considered bad (smh).

What in the world is that whine? I have 160k miles, live where it gets -40°C in winter and +50°C in summer and have never ever heard that noise before.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4

Same when it sits outside at work under 20 degrees, been doing it as long as I can remember. Belt/pulley squeal probably the idler/tensioner.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What in the world is that whine? I have 160k miles, live where it gets -40°C in winter and +50°C in summer and have never ever heard that noise before.

I honestly think mine is the A/C compressor, because when the A/C runs (spring/summer) you can hear a whine inside the cab as well. Same deal....dealer says its "normal", "not loud enough to be considered an issue", etc.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly think mine is the A/C compressor, because when the A/C runs (spring/summer) you can hear a whine inside the cab as well. Same deal....dealer says its "normal", "not loud enough to be considered an issue", etc.

Sounds like the warranty company i do work for “dont cover noises”.

Terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the warranty company i do work for “dont cover noises”.

Terrible

Yep.

They even wasted 3 hours of my day to basically find a truck that kinda sorta makes a similar noise. Then when I sat in it and couldnt hear the noise they basically said SorryNotSorry.

I dream of the day that its so loud it sounds like a screeching belt, Im going to drive right into their drive up service garage and leave the truck running. "Is it loud enough now?"

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep.

They even wasted 3 hours of my day to basically find a truck that kinda sorta makes a similar noise. Then when I sat in it and couldnt hear the noise they basically said SorryNotSorry.

I dream of the day that its so loud it sounds like a screeching belt, Im going to drive right into their drive up service garage and leave the truck running. "Is it loud enough now?"

I went to lady house one time had a whirlpool tub SCREAMING when the pump was turned on i mean earplugs neighbors could easily hear. I called warranty. Sh&$ you not they said if it aint leaking and it pumps water nothing we can do. Noises arent covered. I mean i get it but come on. They stuck to it. Worst ive seen on being rediculous