2017 Ram Hemi sounds like a clattering heap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly think mine is the A/C compressor, because when the A/C runs (spring/summer) you can hear a whine inside the cab as well. Same deal....dealer says its "normal", "not loud enough to be considered an issue", etc.
If it makes you feel any better, my AC died and didn't make the noise, maybe it should have!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it makes you feel any better, my AC died and didn't make the noise, maybe it should have!

W&B in Airdrie is set up for the newer 1234yf refrigerant now if you need to get it recharged.There is an O-ring fix for the trucks,if it died from leakage,which they are famous for when the temps get cold

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I hope that doesnt mean mine will live forever with the noise!

I have MaxCare Lifetime so technically it would be covered down the road, but its really friggen annoying. Even my passengers can hear it and agree that its not normal.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
W&B in Airdrie is set up for the newer 1234yf refrigerant now if you need to get it recharged.There is an O-ring fix for the trucks,if it died from leakage,which they are famous for when the temps get cold
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call before summer!

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 had the tick yesterday when I moved it back after washing my truck. Heard it for 3 seconds then went away. Using redline 5w30 and smaller RP filter for about 2500 miles now. Dealer already fixed broken exhaust bolts and has been quite till yesterday. Guess I’ll try the SRT filter next OCI

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm curious how y'all figure a filter has any effect on a lifter tick ?

I'm no mechanic by trade anymore (was a heavy equipment mechanic at one point in my life), but am passable at least on older engines... and I can't see it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how y'all figure a filter has any effect on a lifter tick ?

I'm no mechanic by trade anymore (was a heavy equipment mechanic at one point in my life), but am passable at least on older engines... and I can't see it.

Different filters have different anti drain back valves. Some are better at keeping oil in the motor longer than others which means the lifters will stay pumped up longer which makes the tick less likely...........

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Different filters have different anti drain back valves. Some are better at keeping oil in the motor longer than others which means the lifters will stay pumped up longer which makes the tick less likely...........
Different bypass psi as well, but I'm not sure how much difference that makes at start-up.

I thought I read the srt filter has the bypass spring at the opposite end of the filter from most (thread end vs dome end, or vice versa) but I'm not 100 I'm that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like Hemi Tick. My '14 did that and ticked like hell if left more than 2-3 days w/o starting but my '11 has none of that even on a restart

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve only been using the recommended Pennzoil 0W-40 since new in my 2018 6.4 & have zero tick even after sitting a week.

James L Wren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yep.

They even wasted 3 hours of my day to basically find a truck that kinda sorta makes a similar noise. Then when I sat in it and couldnt hear the noise they basically said SorryNotSorry.

I dream of the day that its so loud it sounds like a screeching belt, Im going to drive right into their drive up service garage and leave the truck running. "Is it loud enough now?"

I bought a 1999 Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9l took it to the dealer I said a 16' boat pushed me thru a intersection in the rain told them something is wrong with the brakes they said it was fine drove it for a couple of weeks then the right front caliper locked up drove it maybe 50 more miles then drove it to the dealer pretty much wreck told them its broke now fix it. They did dealers can be a pain some times I hope they get you engine wine and tick fixed. I think your wine from your motor sounds like power steering. Have you checked it?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 1999 Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9l took it to the dealer I said a 16' boat pushed me thru a intersection in the rain told them something is wrong with the brakes they said it was fine drove it for a couple of weeks then the right front caliper locked up drove it maybe 50 more miles then drove it to the dealer pretty much wreck told them its broke now fix it. They did dealers can be a pain some times I hope they get you engine wine and tick fixed. I think your wine from your motor sounds like power steering. Have you checked it?

Truck has electric power steering (they started using that in 2013 I think) so there is no power steering pump to deal with.

For sure during the warm weather months, the A/C compressor is whining. You can kind of hear it outside, but inside its clear as day.

The groaning noise is clear as day *outside* the cab, so Im thinking its different. It actually seems pretty common for people to have it, but I have to wonder if both of my noises are related.

Im more worried about the A/C noise, because the A/C stays on when its hot out....the groaning only happens during the cold and only for a few seconds after startup.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure sounds horrible - but goes away after a few seconds.
Where do you guys get redline at?
Oil thread has so many pages & opinions. Hard to decipher what is what.?
you can get redline at WalMart now, they've had it for some time now.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
"clattering heap..." :rotflmao:

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think people still confuse the "hemi tick" issue with the very common exhaust manifold issue. The real hemi tick issues mainly plagued early 3rd gens. It was traced back to the push rods. There was some pretty bad quality control and they found that the push could very in length by a couple thousands. This is SLOP in the valve train and that produced a tick that would not go away. The guy that discovered the issue took the valve train apart and mic'ed all the parts; found the pushrods were the problem. The fix was aftermarket push rods, not OEM. This was 3rd Gens produced 2003-2005.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I think people still confuse the "hemi tick" issue with the very common exhaust manifold issue. The real hemi tick issues mainly plagued early 3rd gens. It was traced back to the push rods. There was some pretty bad quality control and they found that the push could very in length by a couple thousands. This is SLOP in the valve train and that produced a tick that would not go away. The guy that discovered the issue took the valve train apart and mic'ed all the parts; found the pushrods were the problem. The fix was aftermarket push rods, not OEM. This was 3rd Gens produced 2003-2005.

its possible people confuse the two, but thats not whats happening with the majority of us on here in the few threads going on. I have a 2014 5.7. when i bought it, the motor had a tick to it. not super loud, but definitely there. truck was dealer maintained by P.O. prior to me buying it. After reading on here about the tick and how many had success with redline, i gave redline 5w30 a shot. My tick went away immediately after changing my oil. And the engine quieted down considerably after about 1400 miles into that oil. My exhaust manifold bolts are fine.

FWIW i have heard brand new trucks, 5.7 and 6.4 tick.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All this talk of engine ticks, namely valve train ticks....

I hope none of you guys ever buy a Honda ATV, you'd drive yourself nuts... they're pushrod engines with solid lifters... sound like they're coming apart inside.... but I've got one, bought new 1999, that has almost 14,000 miles on it.

Its never seen anything but farm use.... driving cows, spraying fence rows, checking cows, checking fence (1,100 acres)..... stuff like that, every day.

That thing just keeps on ticking... only broke on me one time, left front axle.

A noisy valve is FAR better than a silent one... valves so tight they're silent will burn... rather quickly.

Valves dissipate a lot of heat through contact with the head...if they don't stay in contact with the head long enough they get too hot.

Doesn't really apply to hydraulic lifters....but still, a little engine ticking isn't always a bad thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grizzly Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I still think we are all hearing different things and labeling them differently.

1. "Normal" lifter tick at startup: a faint ticking for 5-10 seconds after the truck has sat for a long-ish time (usually more than overnight, although my old Frontier did this at every startup). I assume the oil runs back out of the lifters, maybe not completely, and it takes a bit for them to fill up again. I hear it on my truck and it doesnt bother me at all because of previous experience with other vehicles (see my 2001 Frontier)

2. God awful loud tick that is more of a knocking noise for 5 seconds or so - this will happen after "I started the truck to move it to other side of driveway then turned it off....the next time I started it up it sounded like it was going to explode". This seems "normal" for the Hemi even though Ive never heard it on any other engine. SRT filter (at least in my case) seems to have helped mine.

3. Broken exhaust manifold bolts - loud-ish ticking (although not as loud as #2 on this list) that seems to occur for a few minutes and/or until the engine warms up and "seals" the manifold to the block again.

4. Actual honest to goodness Hemi tick - upper end (?) ticking noise that occurs even when the engine is warm/hot. Louder than injectors (although our injectors seem loud to begin with), louder than #1 on the list but quieter than #2.

5. Piston slap - bottom end very slight knocking noise, especially when cold. Mine seems to do this even when warm/hot, but if it really is piston slap, it should not necessarily affect the life of the engine just based on what is really happening
#2 is what I have.
Drove a mile or so total Sat night. Was barely partial warm on shutdown. Sun it made the racket - but not as bad, or as long as it usually does... if it's just a quick move in the driveway.