2017 Sport CC Rear End Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hey guys,

I’ve been trying to figure out a slight vibration/wobble in my truck. It feels like I’m driving over a very subtly bumpy road.

I just replaced my brake pads and rotors. Issue was there previously but almost seems worse after the brake job. There is no vibration when braking and I don’t feel it through the steering wheel.

So far, I have retorqued all wheels to 135ft-lbs and jacked up the pumpkin and put the truck in drive. I visually inspected the rim while the tire was spinning but it does not seem to be wobbling. It sounds like there is some rubbing on the driver side rear once per tire revolution.

What would be the best next steps? I’m thinking back the parking brake adjustment all the way off and see if there is still rubbing. If there is, remove tire, brake rotor and caliper and inspect axle shaft flange to see if there’s any wobble. Is there a good way to do this without a dial indicator?

Could this issue be caused by the axle shaft bearing? I am not noticing any groaning or grinding noises but there is 104k miles on the truck.

Thanks

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Rear control arm bushings. I’m waiting on new Clayton arms now.
Thank you. I will look into this. Is there a way I can confirm this before ordering parts? It has air suspension by the way.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check to see if any of your tires are out of round?run your hand around them see if you feel any bumps.

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Did you check to see if any of your tires are out of round?run your hand around them see if you feel any bumps.
Tires are fairly new Michelins. I will take them to get road force balanced today to eliminate this factor.
Is your truck lowered?
No, stock air suspension

EDIT: It seems that even with the tire removed, spinning the axle by hand has some rubbing. Haven’t tried spinning it by hand with the brake pads removed yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Starting to suspect its a driveshaft out of balance. Went under the truck today and noticed a small notch out of the fuel tank and a 1” wide ring around the driveshaft right where the fuel tank damage is. Thinking something might’ve hit it on the highway and threw it out of balance

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Starting to suspect its a driveshaft out of balance. Went under the truck today and noticed a small notch out of the fuel tank and a 1” wide ring around the driveshaft right where the fuel tank damage is. Thinking something might’ve hit it on the highway and threw it out of balance
Could be balance or bent. Steel or aluminum?

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Had the wheels and tires RoadForce balanced and ForceMatched on a Hunter RoadForce machine. Rims are straight and all wheels are within 15lbs of RoadForce.. 30lbs is the acceptable range for light trucks apparently. They were all under 30 originally but I had them try and lower the numbers anyways. Still getting a vibration through the floor.

Once I have access to my work truck, I will remove my driveshaft and bring it to a balancer. Is there anything I need to know about removing/replacing the driveshaft or is it just a matter of 4 bolts and sliding it out? It does not have a carrier bearing.

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

New CV axles and hubs in order? What do you guys think. This is driver side shown in video. The passenger side CV does not have back and forth play, just in and out. Both sides click when spinning the wheel. I didn’t notice any clicking until I jacked the front up and spun the wheel but I might as well fix it all at once. Hopefully the axle replacement fixes the vibration issue.

Last edited:

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

New CV axles and hubs in order? What do you guys think. This is driver side shown in video. The passenger side CV does not have back and forth play, just in and out. Both sides click when spinning the wheel. I didn’t notice any clicking until I jacked the front up and spun the wheel but I might as well fix it all at once. Hopefully the axle replacement fixes the vibration issue.
Did it fix the issue?

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So I took the truck to get an alignment yesterday and the machine was showing the driver side rear wheel as perfectly straight and the passenger side rear was toed in a bit. I forget the exact number. The tech went to adjust the alignment and noticed that there was no adjustment for the rear. He then suggested that my rear control arm might be bent.

He did correct the front alignment and the truck still has a slight pull.

Would it be wise to order new arms that have adjustable length so alignment can be adjusted? Or is it safe to say that a factory length Mevo will correct the issue?

The truck has factory air suspension if that matters

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Girlfriend drove the truck today and said it was very shaky. I was in the passenger seat and didn't notice the shake as much as the driver side. Definitely feels like its coming from the rear as the shake is in the floor and not the steering wheel. If it was coming from a front component, the steering wheel would shake, correct?

If not the rear trailing arms, what other rear component could it be? A driveline vibration would be felt evenly on the driver and passenger side. No wheeling bearing noise, no clunks, squeaks or noises when it's happening.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did the alignment shop check the shocks? Might be worth another check. A bad shock can allow the tire to bounce at speed....

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Did the alignment shop check the shocks? Might be worth another check. A bad shock can allow the tire to bounce at speed....
The truck is on factory air suspension, so no. These shakes can be felt at just about all speeds, including as low as 3-4mph.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jeez, if it's moving at that low of speed, it seems to point back to a tire or a wheel. Even a driveshaft I can't see would cause a shake at that speed. Maybe since they were balanced/checked, something else has developed??

Did anyone check for a bent wheel? Did you have the wheel bearings replaced lately? I've personally seen cheap aftermarket hubs 'out of spec' (wobbliing flange) out of the box! :rolleyes:

You might put it up on jackstands and run it in gear and watch the wheels/tires. See what happens. I know you said you had a shop looked at it, but tech's don't always see or check everything. Obviously they've missed something.

Note: I bought 5 vintage aluminum Corvette wheels off the internet, several yrs ago, and put them in a hub which I verified has 0 run-out. Every one of those wheels is wobbly or warped LOL (head shaking).

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Jeez, if it's moving at that low of speed, it seems to point back to a tire or a wheel. Even a driveshaft I can't see would cause a shake at that speed. Maybe since they were balanced/checked, something else has developed??

Did anyone check for a bent wheel? Did you have the wheel bearings replaced lately? I've personally seen cheap aftermarket hubs 'out of spec' (wobbliing flange) out of the box! :rolleyes:

You might put it up on jackstands and run it in gear and watch the wheels/tires. See what happens. I know you said you had a shop looked at it, but tech's don't always see or check everything. Obviously they've missed something.

Note: I bought 5 vintage aluminum Corvette wheels off the internet, several yrs ago, and put them in a hub which I verified has 0 run-out. Every one of those wheels is wobbly or warped LOL (head shaking).
I would agree that a tire makes the most sense however, after several rotations, balances (conventional and RoadForce) the issue stays in the same spot. The truck is on factory rear wheel bearings, 190,000km. Rims are also factory. I believe they check wheel runout during a RoadForce balance. Nothing out of the ordinary. The RoadForce were all in spec but I had them adjust them anyways to see if they could get it closer to 0lbs.

If I jack the back of the truck up and leave it in drive, there is some brake drag. The wheel will slow a bit each rotation in a certain spot and then speed up until it gets to that spot again. Perhaps this could also be what I'm feeling.

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Replaced my upper and lower rear control arms today which did make the truck ride a bit tighter but did not get rid of the vibration.

Then I backed the parking brakes all the way off to ensure they are not the cause. It seems to have gotten rid of the roughness at low speeds but I still have a vibration around 100-125km/h (60-78mph).

I also measured the runout of my rear axle flange on the driver side.. 3 thou. Then placed the brake rotor on and had a runout of 7 thou on the outer edge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956