2017 Steering Issues and code C15C1 EPS Mechanical Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 1500 Express has had steering issues the last few days and the steering wheel symbol with '!' light in the dash came on today and stayed on for a couple miles until I stopped and shut off the truck at a store. It was gone when I started the truck again and I drove 20 more miles home and it never came back on again. The steering issue started as what felt like a hitch or play in the steering when you move the wheel back and forth a little bit. It seems like it also may have gotten a little worse over the few days. This afternoon I was going around a rotary and thats when the steering wheel/'!' light came on. It might have came on at the moment I turned the wheel the other way quickly to get off the rotary. I hooked up AlphaOBD and connected to the 'Steering' module and read the faults and it showed C15C1 and showed the following messages 'EPS Mechanical Performance', 'Last test completed positively', 'Error intermittent', 'Failure warning lamp 'ON': Not requested'. Also, I noticed when the truck is off and I turn the wheel there is a very slight amount of play. In an old style truck with a steering box this would easily be normal. In a truck with a steering rack I just don't know. It almost seems like the electric steering is amplifying the little bit of mechanical play at steering direction change. Please let me know what you think. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like it could be two issues to me. One regarding the play...(The shaft has a rubber bushing that can wear out allowing for some slop or play) and the other may be electrical power steering issue.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like it could be two issues to me. One regarding the play...(The shaft has a rubber bushing that can wear out allowing for some slop or play) and the other may be electrical power steering issue.
What would be the side effects of having a worn out bushing in the shaft?? When I'm driving on a bumpy highway, my truck will sometimes veer slightly left or right, kind of scary. Doesn't happen too often, but it happens.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a U joint coupler that goes to the EPS from the steering column check that for play, also check the connections going the rack for corrosion or being loose, you may have to go to the dealer for them to recalibrate the steering angle.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can do a steering shaft test in a few minutes to quickly rule out (or locate) intermediate shaft freeplay by putting a vise grips pliers around the bottom of the shaft by the EPS rack. Then take some string and tie the vise grips to something solid down under your truck so it doesn't move. Wedge a piece of 2x4 next to the engine... if need be, ...whatever it takes to essentially make the vise grips *solid* and unmoveable so the intermediate shaft won't move at the bottom.

Then gently wiggle the steering wheel. There should be no real movement or freeplay at the wheel. If there is, then you have some 'freeplay' in the intermediate shaft or somewhere between the steering wheel and the EPS ..to deal with. If you *do* detect freeplay, you may need to replace the upper or lower shaft. If there's no 'freeplay' then you've at least ruled that out and can look elsewhere for the problem.

While you're down under the truck carefully inspect the EPS rack's rubber bushings. Also to make sure the EPS unit itself isn't loose or moving around. Could be loose mounting bolts or something.

Let us know what you discover.

Last edited: