2017 with Ram Box cant add 5th wheel hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive been doing a ton of research on adding a 5th wheel hitch to my truck, a 2017 2500 limited with Ram Boxes. RAM absolutely does not equip any truck that has Ram Boxes with the 5th wheel prep kit.

At first I was optimistic, there were a number of posts and videos talking about adding the 5th wheel hitch even with the Ram Boxes. Aftermarket RAM 5th wheel prep kits are available. I found the B&W RVK3400 Companion Slider 5th Wheel Hitch. This seemed great since I could install a B&W Turnoverball 1384 to my non 5th wheel truck.

The main issue towing with the Ram Boxes is the 5th wheel pin box possibly hitting the sides of the truck bed in certain instances. The resolution to that is to add a 5th wheel pin box similar to the Reese 5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret to the trailer. Somewhat expensive but not out of the question. Then i learned that the sidewinder cant be used with a hitch connected to the Turnoverball system due to the torque the sidewinder can put on the hitch. Well S%^#, back to the 5th wheel prep kit.

I watched a video on youtube where Gerbit shows he tows a pretty big 5th wheel toy hauler with his 3500 with Ram Boxes. He also shows the mounting points where the available factory 5th wheel prep kit brackets are attached. (The next picture was captured from his youtube video)

Mounts.jpg

So i go out and look at the frame of my 2500 with Ram Boxes. The rear mounting points are exactly like Gerbit shows. Then I look at the front. (The next picture is a picture of my truck)

No mounts.JPG

Mounts.jpg No mounts.JPG
I notice something isnt the same here. Well S$%&, apparently in 2017, Ram decided to eliminate the possibility of installing the 5th wheel hitch to the Ram Box.

I am aware there are a few articles and videos showing people adding 5th wheel rail mounted hitches to the Ram Box, but I dont see how the rails are attached to the frame of the truck.

Im sure there are people out there who know more than I do and im sure someone will have a method of installing whats needed, bit I am at a stopping point. Looks like I may have to go pick up a 3500 without the Ram Boxes. (I need the 3500 due to expected payload weights on the 5th wheel I like anyway)

Anyone looking for a really nice 2500 limited who doesnt tow a 5th wheel? LOL

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For whatever reason, you can’t factory order a truck with ram boxes and a 5th wheel prep but the dealer can add the prep package to a ram box truck after the fact. My dealer has done it multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I met a fellow that had a 5th wheel hitch and RAM boxes. He did have to raise the hitch head to be level with the rails. And then also raise the trailer mount accordingly. He said everything worked well like that.

James L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
So I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie Long Horn with Mega Cab and Ram Boxes. What I have seen all over the internet and from Etrailer is that the Sidewinder is a must due to the potential for hitting the inside of the bed rails. Spoke to the local Discount Hitch place and they assured me that the Sliding Companion in the OEM puck format would clear the interior portion of the boxes. Anybody heard or seen something like that? Just dont want to drop 800-1k on the hitch and another 1k on the king pin if I don't have to.

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
You could always add a gooseneck adapter to the 5th wheel and use a gooseneck ball installed in the bed...As for heighth issue to clear the boxes - I 'think' the adapter gooseneck adaptor comes in different heighths...You can also get an 'offset gooseneck' that will put the ball further back towards the tail gate...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Removing was typing in one thread and I must have fat fingered into this one.

rafuzv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello I have the same issue with my truck I was wonder what rails you order and what hitch did you install in your truck, can you send me some pictures so I can see what you did. Thanks

OP
OP
Sounnder

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are most of the items I bought for my truck. Be aware the pin box is dependent on the type of Pin box mount your 5th wheel has. Mine is a Grand Design 28BH, i don't remember which box was on it. I think it was a Lippert.

The pin box I chose was the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. The standard Sidewinder will work but the airborne version has an airbag built into it that reduces some of the vibration and impact from the trailer. The Sidewinder gives the clearance needed for the Ram boxes. I can open mine with the 5th wheel attached. The sidewinder also eliminates the need for a slider 5th wheel hitch.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-61422-...+elite+airborne/sidewinder+16k,aps,152&sr=8-1

As there are no 5th wheel mounting points in my truck, i used the B&W Custom Installation Kit w/ Base Rails for 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch. I chose this one specifically because they are much more solid than any of the others that are available.

etrailer link: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-Installation-Kit/B-and-W/BWRVK2602.html

And the hitch I bought was the B&W

etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-Hitch/B-and-W/BWRVK3200.html

You will have to make sure the wedge works with the hitch you install. Here is mine:

etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/SWW-06.html

I was really surprised how expensive this turned out to be. Additionally, there is a LOT of expense getting this stuff installed. I had the pin box installed by the RV dealer for a reasonable amount. Be aware that pin box weighs around 100 lbs. Unfortunately they installed it improperly, possibly because it was a really new product then. I had to talk to the B&W customer service to figure out they had installed the pin box to high in the hitch mount on the trailer. Research EVERYTHING to make sure all of it will work together including your specific truck model and the trailer pin box mount.

Also, the RV dealer wanted around $800 to install the hitch in my truck. I did it myself but I now understand why it cost so much. There are a lot of precision holes you will need to drill into your truck bed to mount those rails.

I will post pictures of all this sometime this coming weekend.

The other challenge was installing the 5th wheel trailer wiring. I will do a write up on that if anyone wants to see what I came up with.

Good luck to anyone who does this install. When its done its worth it, it just sucks paying for it and getting it all put together.

Rick

rafuzv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Rick,

Thank you for the info. As right now I have a 28 foot travel trailer but I am tired of the sway bars and they are not very stables, I am doing my research of what 5th wheel would be the best fit for me and my wife. I went to look a 33" chaparral so let see. First I have to get the 5th wheel situation all figure out before I get the 5th wheel. I am looking forward to see your pics thanks again.

Rafa

OP
OP
Sounnder

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I finally got the time to take the pictures.

Truck is a 2017 2500 Limited with the RAM boxes

Trailer is a 2020 GrandDesign Reflection 28BH, 35.8 ft long.

Attachments

• IMG_6002.JPG
    IMG_6002.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6005.JPG
    IMG_6005.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6046.JPG
    IMG_6046.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 18

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
OP
OP
Sounnder

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately those cant be used on the 2017 trucks with the RAM box. The mounting points for any hitch that mounts to a ball receiver are deleted when the RAM box is ordered. I can only speak for the 2017 model year but I assume other years will suffer from the same problem.