2018 1500 4x4 with Lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spacer is probably the way to go. Not sure if having a stiffer ride in one corner would be wise. Looks like I will see what the dealership comes up with. Then if nothing else I will pick it up and add the spacer to driver rear. Do you remember the brand for the spacer you used? Thanks for the help!

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Spacer is probably the way to go. Not sure if having a stiffer ride in one corner would be wise. Looks like I will see what the dealership comes up with. Then if nothing else I will pick it up and add the spacer to driver rear. Do you remember the brand for the spacer you used? Thanks for the help!
I just used one for a jeep, but I had to modify it just a little. I'll see if I can track one down you wouldn't have to do anything to

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 Laramie don't have a lean like that from the back its level also in the front that would make me nuts some thing is off on the suspension. with your truck, Had a 2013 new from dealer the struts in front went in less then 7000 miles they changed them and gave me truck back the front had a lean but I told the dealer you fu-ked up and better fix the problem he took truck for another day and got it back front level and rear level don't know what he did but it had to do with the suspension

SNAKEBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
got same thing on 2011 4X4 Laramie.
been that way since day one.
about the same as you say 3/4 inch lean.
did Bilstien 5100's all the way at 2.75 and still the same difference.
I'm only 160 and the lean look the same with a full tank or empty !!!
can turn steering wheel about a half turn to the right and it gets close to level.
still think it's suspension problem.

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like since this issue does not effect every truck the same a spacer would be the easiest fix. I know back in my S-10 days "the chevy lean" was very common. Mine got even more noticeable once I lowered that truck to the point where there was a full inch difference in height from the driver side to the passenger side. To correct it I had to install a spacer only on the driver side coil to level the truck out. Once I installed the spacer all was right and the truck sat level and my ride quality was not effected.

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You have a damaged front axle housing! That or your camber adjustments are way off.

I have a 2018 model CTD 4x4 that had this same problem after a few thousand miles. The dealer replaced springs front and rear under warranty but that solved nothing. They eventually found the axle was twisted end to end. After replacing the axle housing all is well.

Easy way to prove this is first check your camber settings. If they are way off, like one side fully CW and the other CCW, then they should first be made the same. Don't worry about the camber angle, you just want to prove if this is causing the lean. When you move the settings from min to max the base of the coil spring will twist and this will raise/lower the body of the truck which is supported by the top of the coil.

I'll answer any other questions anyone has, but trust me the axle housing is twisted.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I recently bought a 1500 certified used (dealer demo) and it has a substantial driver lean. I have measured from the top of the fender to the top of the rim. The driver rear is 1/2" lower then the passenger side. There is a 1/4" difference in the front two sides. I know the fuel tank is on the driver side, but this is unaffected even with less then quarter tank. The truck has 7000 miles on it and its been sitting at the dealer since Friday. I called the service manager today and he is trying to tell me that he has 4 other Ram 4x4's with the same issue. He claims it is simply a "characteristic" of the vehicle and that nothing is wrong. I told him that answer is not acceptable and that if he can't correct then I would be filing a claim with FCA and NCDS. Now he is saying that he will contact FCA to try and resolve.

This can't be true? I can understand a small lean due to a full tank of gas, but this truck is literally sitting or driving down the road looking crooked as hell. It is an obvious difference that anyone can see with the naked eye. Am I suppose to believe that the number 2 selling truck in America is simply crooked?

Anyone else notice this? I'm guessing faulty leaf springs?
Number 2 selling truck, shame, shame, shame. Lol

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I recently bought a 1500 certified used (dealer demo) and it has a substantial driver lean. I have measured from the top of the fender to the top of the rim. The driver rear is 1/2" lower then the passenger side. There is a 1/4" difference in the front two sides. I know the fuel tank is on the driver side, but this is unaffected even with less then quarter tank. The truck has 7000 miles on it and its been sitting at the dealer since Friday. I called the service manager today and he is trying to tell me that he has 4 other Ram 4x4's with the same issue. He claims it is simply a "characteristic" of the vehicle and that nothing is wrong. I told him that answer is not acceptable and that if he can't correct then I would be filing a claim with FCA and NCDS. Now he is saying that he will contact FCA to try and resolve.

This can't be true? I can understand a small lean due to a full tank of gas, but this truck is literally sitting or driving down the road looking crooked as hell. It is an obvious difference that anyone can see with the naked eye. Am I suppose to believe that the number 2 selling truck in America is simply crooked?

Anyone else notice this? I'm guessing faulty leaf

Uummm, did you not notice that before you bought the truck?? And if you did, why did you buy the truck then??

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
update. The dealer put a 1/2” spacer on top of the strut tower on the front driver side. Now if you go around and measure from the top of the fender to the top of the wheel well it is dead level. Down to the millimeter. I have measured several times and always same results. It still looks twisted to me, but the measurements don’t lie. I’m a bit puzzled. Here is a shot of the back even though it is level on all 4 wheel wells. Doesn’t look any different. But I can testify that it’s level. No clue.

7C50B0F5-E067-4A99-AD6C-753003509E04.jpeg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are your front wheels dead straight when you take the pics and/or measurements?

How full or empty is the gas tank?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have a damaged front axle housing! That or your camber adjustments are way off.

I have a 2018 model CTD 4x4 that had this same problem after a few thousand miles. The dealer replaced springs front and rear under warranty but that solved nothing. They eventually found the axle was twisted end to end. After replacing the axle housing all is well.

Easy way to prove this is first check your camber settings. If they are way off, like one side fully CW and the other CCW, then they should first be made the same. Don't worry about the camber angle, you just want to prove if this is causing the lean. When you move the settings from min to max the base of the coil spring will twist and this will raise/lower the body of the truck which is supported by the top of the coil.

I'll answer any other questions anyone has, but trust me the axle housing is twisted.
Thanks for the response. I followed your post on this closely, but as I understand your truck is a 2500 solid axle. Mine is a 1500 and is not a solid axle truck and is independent coil suspension.

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are your front wheels dead straight when you take the pics and/or measurements?

How full or empty is the gas tank?

Yes wheels are straight. Gas tank currently about 3/4 full and according to the tape measure it’s dead nuts level. The eye tells me something different.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible that the ground it's parked on is slanted? The whole truck being tilted equally would show equal between tire and wheelwells but could still look tilted to one side.

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a picture of where your rear coils sit on the rear.(both sides) They may be clocked different.
So I took a couple of pics but not sure what clocked different means? But from what I can tell they are clocked the same.
Is it possible that the ground it's parked on is slanted? The whole truck being tilted equally would show equal between tire and wheelwells but could still look tilted to one side.

I have had it on leveled ground.
Still looks like the pic above. Despite measurements in 4 corners being the same. Doesn’t make sense.

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a picture of where your rear coils sit on the rear.(both sides) They may be clocked different.
So I took a couple of pics but not sure what clocked different means? But from what I can tell they are clocked the same.