2018 / 2500 6.4 Shudder???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since I deleted the EGR system I haven't had a single shudder. Just to recap, my truck as done this since new and I have a custom tune (including trans tuning), an aftermarket converter, and the axle shock. So pretty much eliminated most of the more common theories. So in my case it was definitely a problem with the EGR.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Update on my studder/vibration issue.

After a few more go rounds with tire balancing, alignments and tire rotations - finnaly had all 4 road force balanced and found two of the tires to be way out of spec. Tires had some form of internal damage/defect.

New tires and the truck is 90% better, but will studder from time to time, especially accelerating while under load/towing.

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just got my truck back from the dealer......This is the fourth visit at two dealers.
5.5 weeks at first dealer. Replaced a sheet and a half of stuff in the rear axle, drive shaft, differential, bearings, etc....Studdering still there. Returned truck for a two week visit. Rebalanced tires. When I got the truck back it had someone elses wheels and tires on it! Before I bought it into the dealer, I had just bough new Michlins thinking tires was the issue. Dealer replaced half worn Firestone snow tires with new Michlins like I had, on their dime. Now I've had four sets of tires and two sets of rims...Still shuddering.
Took it to another dealer. They had it two weeks and wanted to replace camshafts in engine!! I said NO....This is not an engine issue.....Then they said the "balancer" on the driveshaft needed replacing ?????? They had to order one.....Returned the truck two weeks ago for this fix....Previous tech is gone...The new technician drove the truck and even took it home and said he couldn't reproduce the issue...!!...I need the truck for next week so I had to pick it up as is....Shuddered all the way home....Towing a 8500 pound trailer next weekl.....I hope it blows up. I have 7 year unlimited milage warrantee.....This has been going on now for nearly two years. Covid caused many appointments to be canceled....Might go look at Ford Super Duty .......And call a lawyer...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I deleted the EGR system I haven't had a single shudder. Just to recap, my truck as done this since new and I have a custom tune (including trans tuning), an aftermarket converter, and the axle shock. So pretty much eliminated most of the more common theories. So in my case it was definitely a problem with the EGR.

EGR delete still have your truck shudder free? What in the heck does it take to delete the EGR (sorry, I dont even know what that is)?

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Would love to know how the EGR Delete is doing. But I'm sure I wouldn't pass emission inspection here in Massachusetts......Might be time to return to Cummins or go Ford/GMC....Or see if the newer 2500 with 8 speed transmission is doing it.....I can't stand this any longer. Driving me crazy!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
EGR delete still have your truck shudder free? What in the heck does it take to delete the EGR (sorry, I dont even know what that is)?

Yes, never had a shudder since. Did take me months to stop driving the truck like it was going to happen since I was so pre-programmed to get off/on the throttle at certain times.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Would love to know how the EGR Delete is doing. But I'm sure I wouldn't pass emission inspection here in Massachusetts......Might be time to return to Cummins or go Ford/GMC....Or see if the newer 2500 with 8 speed transmission is doing it.....I can't stand this any longer. Driving me crazy!

You could always try just pulling the solenoid plugs and see if that helps. Otherwise the modification is very hard to detect from a visual standpoint. The codes can be eliminated with an HP Tuner. I can confirm that the intake EGR temp sensor can just be left reading "free air" under the hood (meaning not plummed to the intake) and it won't throw a code. There is still one additional EGR code present that I never tried to eliminate but I suspect that could be fooled as well.

This is all just hypothetical of course and I would never actually attempt this on my truck :)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, never had a shudder since. Did take me months to stop driving the truck like it was going to happen since I was so pre-programmed to get off/on the throttle at certain times.

Oh i bet, thats how I have been driving the truck for years!

You could always try just pulling the solenoid plugs and see if that helps. Otherwise the modification is very hard to detect from a visual standpoint. The codes can be eliminated with an HP Tuner. I can confirm that the intake EGR temp sensor can just be left reading "free air" under the hood (meaning not plummed to the intake) and it won't throw a code. There is still one additional EGR code present that I never tried to eliminate but I suspect that could be fooled as well.

This is all just hypothetical of course and I would never actually attempt this on my truck :)

Hahahahahahahhaha :D

so can simply unplugging some electronics determine if this is the issue with my truck, or would I have to go through the full delete process? Ooooooor, could replacing some parts instead of deleting actually fix the issue?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh i bet, thats how I have been driving the truck for years!

Hahahahahahahhaha :D

so can simply unplugging some electronics determine if this is the issue with my truck, or would I have to go through the full delete process? Ooooooor, could replacing some parts instead of deleting actually fix the issue?

I can't say for sure if unplugging will stop the shuddering. But I suspect it would since the system will become un-operational. This only occurred to me after the fact since it became obvious that EGR was causing the problem.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say for sure if unplugging will stop the shuddering. But I suspect it would since the system will become un-operational. This only occurred to me after the fact since it became obvious that EGR was causing the problem.

gotchya. Just wondering if it would determine if that is my issue, before i go about deleting everything...i mean, hypothetically speaking lol

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well.......I finally got rid of the shudder/vibration. Only cost $18,000......I traded the truck in on a 2021 Tradesman, 6.4L !........

That's cheating.

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Picked up the new truck today.....Very nice! But a hate the key fob thing that is the size of a small meatloaf!!!.....187843702_10226690970680837_5203016493444325898_n.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio