2018 2500 Cummins 4x4 drag link recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Its been 3 weeks and nothing. Contacted the local dealership and learned if your shopping for a new truck they are very responsive but if its a service call don't expect a call back.

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I tried again going to Chrysler. These guys truly suck.

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
OK, my attempt started April this year. I talked directly with Chrysler and had them commit to sending a new drag link to my local dealer. July 15th and I just left the dealer and we'll just say I hope I never need to go back. They did manage to replace the complete drag link but because I told them to not drive my truck the steering wheel is not straight. I guess they forgot to read their procedure.

Safety Recall V06 – Drag Link Page 15
8. Position the NEW drag link assembly to the vehicle.
9. Install the inner drag link tie rod end to pitman arm using a NEW nut and tighten to 37 N·m Plus 180° (27 ft. lbs. Plus 180°).
10. Install outer drag link tie rod end to the knuckle and tighten the NEW nut to 60 N·m Plus 105° (44 ft. lbs. Plus 105°).
11. Install the right front tire and wheel assembly and tighten to proper torque specification (Figure 13).
12. Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
13. Adjust the toe and center the steering wheel.
14. After adjustment tighten tie rod adjustment sleeve clamp bolt to the 75 N·m (55 ft. lbs.) (Figure 14).
15. Return the vehicle

As I told the service writer I hate leaving my truck with the dealer. When I told him it took too long to resolve he said there are lots of recalls out there and many people wait much longer to get resolution. WTH

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
maybe they didnt have a alignment machine (not every dealer has one) which tells them the wheels are straight ahead so adjustment can be made to drag link. and you told them not to drive it, understandibly i dont blame you there.
at this point why not adjust it yourself and move one

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's crazy. What could be better than heat stressing a component that helps keep your truck out of the ditch at the side of the road.... :rolleyes:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
AND, I'm sure it's really easy :rolleyes: to grind the weld off without damaging the threads.
Reminds me of a Buick Estate wagon I had back in the early 80's. It needed upper control arm bushings but the bushing shaft nuts were welded from the factory so I had to go to a junk yard, buy 2 non welded arms, replace the bushings on them and install on my car. What a PIA.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
AND, I'm sure it's really easy :rolleyes: to grind the weld off without damaging the threads.
The welds are nowhere near the threads so it's not a big deal. Also there would be very little heat transferred to the threads from where the weld is done.
On the other hand it shouldn't be this difficult to get reimbursed for a new drag-link.

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
maybe they didnt have a alignment machine (not every dealer has one) which tells them the wheels are straight ahead so adjustment can be made to drag link. and you told them not to drive it, understandibly i dont blame you there.
at this point why not adjust it yourself and move one
Its an easy fix to align the steering wheel. I may take it to a trusty alignment shop just for piece of mind

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The welds are nowhere near the threads so it's not a big deal. Also there would be very little heat transferred to the threads from where the weld is done.
On the other hand it shouldn't be this difficult to get reimbursed for a new drag-link.
I'm glad to finally get the new drag link. They, my local dealership just are not great of backing there product.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963