2018 2500, prewired for remote start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What was the setting that didn’t work and what did you change it to? Thanks!

2f48f59030ed2af3adfbb830e1f9e937.jpg

Some trucks may need the ohms set to 1k, as mine did, and others need it set to 500/500

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All the remote start kit comes with is the latch with a wiring harness that contains 1 wire that goes to pin 11 that tells the bcm that the hood is shut (grounded) and 2 fobs. So by grounding pin 11 you can bypass adding the hood latch and buying the skins for your current fobs you don't have to buy new one's. Had I known all of this before buying the kit I would have gone this route

2018 2500 6.4L
what happens if somebody presses the remote start while your hands are in the motor working its a safety thing. Their are no half ways to being safe:banghead:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
what happens if somebody presses the remote start while your hands are in the motor working its a safety thing. Their are no half ways to being safe:banghead:

Not to sound like a *****, Technically you should always disconnect the battery while working on a engine to prevent it from accidentally starting or shorting something out.

Short cuts are always taken

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Disconnect the battery little hard to believe but maybe that is what you do but it would cause problems for Ram trucks with codes and relearning. Only time Ive seen the battery disconnected is if working on the electrical or gas system

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Disconnect the battery little hard to believe but maybe that is what you do but it would cause problems for Ram trucks with codes and relearning. Only time Ive seen the battery disconnected is if working on the electrical or gas system

I rarely disconnect the battery but it's a safe practice. Obviously if you are programming something you can't have the battery disconnected but for adding just about anything to these trucks it will have an electrical component and it's a good idea to disconnect the battery. These trucks are sensitive when it comes to anything electrical or ties into any computer. My point was short cuts are always taken and risks follow. This isn't my first ram truck and definitely isn't my first rodeo with modifying and adding factory or aftermarket parts to these trucks. I understand the risks of leaving the battery connected when touching anything on these trucks. One slip and you are praying it didn't just cost you an arm and a leg.

I was simply passing on information that others had figured out to save a few bucks. That's what the forum is about. Passing along information. Then it's up to you to decide if it's something that you want to use or find another option.

Alphaobd applies to this. Great tool but can mess your truck up if not used properly but gets offered up in just about every conversation, because it works and it's a great option for people.

And at any point the op or whomever decides to start with this option has the option to add the oem hood latch and tie it into pin 11 and have it function a 100% like it should

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I rarely disconnect the battery but it's a safe practice. Obviously if you are programming something you can't have the battery disconnected but for adding just about anything to these trucks it will have an electrical component and it's a good idea to disconnect the battery. These trucks are sensitive when it comes to anything electrical or ties into any computer. My point was short cuts are always taken and risks follow. This isn't my first ram truck and definitely isn't my first rodeo with modifying and adding factory or aftermarket parts to these trucks. I understand the risks of leaving the battery connected when touching anything on these trucks. One slip and you are praying it didn't just cost you an arm and a leg.

I was simply passing on information that others had figured out to save a few bucks. That's what the forum is about. Passing along information. Then it's up to you to decide if it's something that you want to use or find another option.

Alphaobd applies to this. Great tool but can mess your truck up if not used properly but gets offered up in just about every conversation, because it works and it's a great option for people.

And at any point the op or whomever decides to start with this option has the option to add the oem hood latch and tie it into pin 11 and have it function a 100% like it should

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Point taken>> also if you have a mechanic in a shop work on your truck and it starts with the remote while hood is open, Brother you got some law suit coming