2018 6.7 Cummins oil preferences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtruelove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Just bought a 2018 ram 3500 dually with the 6.7. Just wondering what yalls oil preferences are. I live in south Texas and wont be hauling trailers 24/7 either.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I use Rotella T6. Because I live in a cold climate, Cummins wants a synthetic in the engine. I always find a deal on it just after the first of the year and buy enough for the RAM plus my land maintenance equipment.

Blackstone has a paper out that is a summarization of individual's oil analysis that compares various oil labels of the same type. Interesting read, don't have the link for it since I read it from a link on another forum but should not be hard to find. The bottom line, there is little difference in engine wear between the oil brands.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
In Texas, you get get away with conventional oil. It does not get cold enough to warrant synthetic per Cummins chart, but there is no harm using it if you want to.

Here is a link to a thread where this was already discussed.

2016 cummins... oil change

The reason why Cummins recommends Valvoline is because they have a contract with them for their factory fill oil and other lubricants. Basically, Cummins endorses them because Valvoline reduced the cost of their factory oil and other lubricants used to make their engines. Kind of a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours deal. Many manufacturers do this to cut costs.

OP
OP
jtruelove

jtruelove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
When do yall recomend the first oil change? I plan on doing my oil changes I didnt have a good experience with the dealership.

Chutoyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Cummins
Did a T6 oil change at 1200mi on my 2018... but I do (wasteful?) early oil changes on all my cars.

57168328_10156596323863173_2094947504956112896_o.jpg

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Shell rotella t6 5w-40 full syn, I change mine around once a year (or 15k max) the 6 month thing I don’t worry about. My oil will have about 10k on it when I dump it a couple months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And doing the oil change is not that bad, head to Geno’s website and order the fleet guard stratopore filter, the filter cap for when you pull it so you don’t spill the filter pulling it out the hole in the fender liner, and to make it easier and less messy for the next. Get the oil pan drain that screws into were the drain plug goes in, it makes it stupidly simple to drain, and if you have a 5 gallon bucket with a pop up pour spout, you can drain it right into the bucket. Let it keep dripping as you go inside and have lunch, come out. Snap it closed and not have any oil anywhere but in the jug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just bought a 2018 ram 3500 dually with the 6.7. Just wondering what yalls oil preferences are. I live in south Texas and wont be hauling trailers 24/7 either.

Whatever the manual says
upload_2019-4-27_18-53-40.png

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
JT: Great advice/Info above to consider!

I myself like/enjoy being different - I'm not a follower!
I knew before I bought my 2017 6.7L - what oil & viscosity I was going to use.

Due too this companies long history & reputation and extremely high quality of ALL their products I chose to run Schaeffers.
Mainly due to the formulation of their diesel oils & use of Moly in this formulation. Schaeffers incorporates its own brand of Micron Moly & Penetro (additives) that a UOA will not totally reveal.

Is it actually needed? Results don't lie! Is it necessary? Thats a question Only the actual owner can answer!

I only use Fleetguard oil filters - The Stratapore & LF9028 ES & only Mopar/Fleetguard (2 stage) engine fuel filters.
FG53000/68157291AA.
Chassis filter I will use either fleetguard FS20089 or Mopar 68197867AA.

Since your in Houston: You can easily get by with running conventional 15W-40 if you like or a 5W-40 - it's still a 40wt @ operating temp.

At the end of the day: Run what brand & viscosity that suits your wallet & driving habits/style - which also plays a large role in your oil/filter selection.

Nothing wrong with conventional oils & mopar paper filters.

There are a few tools to purchase to actually make your oil change easier & mess free.

Good luck! Like a said a lot of good advice posted before me!

My man Marion is a Hoot - but very helpful!

These 2 tools made my first oil change easy & mess free!
I love the oil filter wrench - the OEM filter was a snap to get loose.
Only draw back is you have to use a bottom fluted oil filter.

683FF36A-FA31-4986-A5A3-D8065D329E57.png

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jay: Does your billet fuel cap replacement have any leaking issues?
I've read reviews on the threads are not deep enough @ will not tighten for a proper seal.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
JT: Great advice/Info above to consider!

I myself like/enjoy being different - I'm not a follower!
I knew before I bought my 2017 6.7L - what oil & viscosity I was going to use.

Due too this companies long history & reputation and extremely high quality of ALL their products I chose to run Schaeffers.
Mainly due to the formulation of their diesel oils & use of Moly in this formulation. Schaeffers incorporates its own brand of Micron Moly & Penetro (additives) that a UOA will not totally reveal.

Is it actually needed? Results don't lie! Is it necessary? Thats a question Only the actual owner can answer!

I only use Fleetguard oil filters - The Stratapore & LF9028 ES & only Mopar/Fleetguard (2 stage) engine fuel filters.
FG53000/68157291AA.
Chassis filter I will use either fleetguard FS20089 or Mopar 68197867AA.

Since your in Houston: You can easily get by with running conventional 15W-40 if you like or a 5W-40 - it's still a 40wt @ operating temp.

At the end of the day: Run what brand & viscosity that suits your wallet & driving habits/style - which also plays a large role in your question.

Nothing wrong with conventional oils & mopar filters - if you don't work/tow with your 6.7L often & for long periods of time.

There are a few tools to purchase to actually make your oil change easier & mess free.

Good luck! Like a said a lot of good advice posted before me!

My man Marion is a Hoot - but very helpful!

These 2 tools made my first oil change easy & mess free!
I love the oil filter wrench - the OEM filter was a snap to get loose.
Only draw back is you have to use a bottom fluted oil filter.

View attachment 164339

Good choices all around, SyN! But for those who want to run off the shelf oils, the good news is, unlike the Hemis, a Cummins is not a fuss-ass engine and will give tremendous service with even bare minimum maintenance. For those of us who choose to go to the Nth degree, so much the better!

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^^I agree - My choice of Brand & Viscosity was MY choice only! Based on years of stellar UOAs posted & the reputation of the company itself as well as customer support from the company.

The 6.7L is not picky/finicky or sensitive to what oil & filter combo that is run.
Any shelf bought oil & filter type will suffice.

I just sleep better at night knowing my months of research & asking many questions was not all for nothing.
Also my selection fits/suites My driving style/habits as well as my OCI.

Every owners is different!
JT: was only asking our oil preference - I shared mine!
I never recommended my preference once. :cheers:

I look at it this way - Some/A lot of owners don't blink an eye at spending thousands of $$$ on a lift/large wheels & tires as well as other hundreds on performance mods / total re-gearing! On & On
I don't mind spending $27 more for my oil change :boobs:

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Agree 100% SyN. Schaffer's has been very highly regarded for as long as I have been around diesels.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
Jay: Does your billet fuel cap replacement have any leaking issues?
I've read reviews on the threads are not deep enough @ will not tighten for a proper seal.

It didn't fit at all. Piece of junk. I threw it in the trash.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok Thanks!
I will just order a couple of plastic OEM caps (spares)- just in case I crack the one on now.