2018 eco D Engine Seized (threw a rod) waiting on whole Engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nuguy22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco D 3.0
Hello all, I have been with out my truck for 3 months now. The truck is an 2018 Eco diesel 3.0 with just over 60k for miles.. I have gotten terrible customer service from Ram and only get any information from calling and wasting a lot of time of the phone. The information I've finally gotten is they have no eta for a new engine. Is anyone else having trouble getting help or answers besides there's nothing they can do?!.. The truck is under warranty and is going to be covered if they ever get the engine to replace.. My issues are I'm paying a lot of a truck I haven't driven in 3 month and counting.. It's sitting in the direct sun at the dealership in the yard. I have no clue when Ill be getting the truck back and what kind of condition it will be in having sat for so long.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How far up the chain have you gone? Time to elevate to the next level. Maybe time to get a lawyer to send a letter so they have to respond. Document all conversations.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For all the ridiculousness that is California, we do have among the best Lemon Laws in the Country. There is a test of 'reasonable' period of time factored in, as well as number of attempts to repair the vehicle.

May be worth inquiring with an attorney. Such a drag. Sorry you are going through this. It has to be excruciating.

OP
OP
N

nuguy22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco D 3.0
I appreciate the input. I may have to go that route for sure. I was already thinking it in my mind just didn't want to go there just yet. Its been a pain in the but. Im thankful for the dealership extending a loaner until I get my engine but its not the same truck nor what I'm paying for.. Ive gotten a "case manager" but he hasn't done much nor answered the phone when I've called in. Ive spoken to other case managers but they say "sorry we have no eta. I'm not your case manager. He may have emails I can't see. Anything else?" hang up.. Ive spoken with the manager of my case manager. Expressed a lot among that payments to a truck Im not driving nor do I know when I will be. He asked about payments and said he'd make a note about helping or paying for them. The process of getting anyone to have information has be ridiculous.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, the engine comes from Italy. I was a member of the ED Forum (had a 2015 ED that I traded in), till I changed to Hemi's. Just to tell U: The time frame on engines 4 years ago was 6 months to a year. I have no idea now with all the supply stuff wat your timeline is. Hate to give bad news, but at least U got some idea. If U get under 6 months, that be a win, just a saying.

OP
OP
N

nuguy22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco D 3.0
Well, the engine comes from Italy. I was a member of the ED Forum (had a 2015 ED that I traded in), till I changed to Hemi's. Just to tell U: The time frame on engines 4 years ago was 6 months to a year. I have no idea now with all the supply stuff wat your timeline is. Hate to give bad news, but at least U got some idea. If U get under 6 months, that be a win, just a saying.
DAMN.. Thank you for the information. I hope something has changed for the better but by the way things are going I'm on that track as of now. Did they do anything for you while you waited? Did you keep for much longer after a new engine? Thanks for your input and time!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DAMN.. Thank you for the information. I hope something has changed for the better but by the way things are going I'm on that track as of now. Did they do anything for you while you waited? Did you keep for much longer after a new engine? Thanks for your input and time!
I did not have many issues with my ED. There were a bunch of folks on the ED Forum that had issues with the Gen 2's "puking", and others got decent service and some had great trucks like Vern Diesel. I sold mine with 10K on the Odometer. I just got tired of being concerned on the engine and all the items that were popping up, or could pop up, and the EPA lawsuit, which Chrysler lost, and then they did their fix, and the trucks just did not run as well (reported). I did take the $990.00 as a former owner from FCA and put that money towards a full bed cover for my Hemi (lol).

WAT made me sell the most was, I had gone to a friend's funeral. There was light to medium traffic, no issues. Well, when I went to pull out the friggin ED did it's lil gas pedal not wanna go as it should and I almost got hit. I sold that truck within a week. I just was not gonna get into that situation again. Rather roll the dice as a Hemi Owner. Just my Point of View.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Same boat for me and my 15 ED. 60 K miles and spun a main. Took 3 months for new complete engine + NEW oil cooler I was at the dealer once a week, on the phone with RAM does not know anything also once a week. Good luck and PS, I still have the truck with 110 K miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
ED = Engine Dysfunction For the Gen II's, anyway. Always was suspicious of putting an Italian diesel engine in a pickup truck. Cummins had the contract until Fiat bought Chrysler in bankruptcy.

That said, I wasn't real impressed with the engine Cummins came up with, either - they put it in the Nissan Titan, since cancelled. I was hoping they would have put in the already-existing ISB4.5 (with counter balancer shafts). A tough, excellent engine with great fuel efficiency.

Oh, well. All water over the damn now.

OP
OP
N

nuguy22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco D 3.0
Same boat for me and my 15 ED. 60 K miles and spun a main. Took 3 months for new complete engine + NEW oil cooler I was at the dealer once a week, on the phone with RAM does not know anything also once a week. Good luck and PS, I still have the truck with 110 K miles.
Have you had any other issues since the engine went on you the first time? Im curious if its worth getting rid of while it might be worth something.. I got word the engine had shipped last week. Still no word on paying me back on what's just been sitting there underivable.. Anyways thanks for your info

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have had a loaner the entire time, why would you expect to be paid back?
You still have a truck for your use.
As a plus your truck is now worth more due to the lack of miles put on it - as long as the condition is the same as it was when you took it in.
Less wear and tear on your truck and a completely 0 miles new engine.

I just don't see where you were damaged and need to be made whole via a payment.

I guess they could pay you for your payments and charge you for the loaner use - but you probably wouldn't like that idea.

OP
OP
N

nuguy22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco D 3.0
If you have had a loaner the entire time, why would you expect to be paid back?
You still have a truck for your use.
As a plus your truck is now worth more due to the lack of miles put on it - as long as the condition is the same as it was when you took it in.
Less wear and tear on your truck and a completely 0 miles new engine.

I just don't see where you were damaged and need to be made whole via a payment.

I guess they could pay you for your payments and charge you for the loaner use - but you probably wouldn't like that idea.
I guess its been mostly the time spend dealing with it all and having to drive a less desirable truck then what I'm paying for.. Besides the dealer is taking the hit for the loaner 100% not Ram who's taking longer than expected and giving me a hard time for trying to get information from them. I have specific things I used my truck for that I can't with the loaner..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand it isn't an ideal situation, but I will be honest with you, you wouldn't believe how many items are back ordered for months - and I am not talking just autos.
I have had parts that are critical in the hospital setting with no ETA given and when you do get one, it is months down the road.

I am to the point that I think some of this is by design to get us used to not having what we want the minute we want it - that is a rare thing in the world, maybe not in the western world but it is in the rest of world.

There's no reason the bottlenecks haven't been addressed by now, well unless you don't want them addressed. hmmmmm

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I understand it isn't an ideal situation, but I will be honest with you, you wouldn't believe how many items are back ordered for months - and I am not talking just autos.
I have had parts that are critical in the hospital setting with no ETA given and when you do get one, it is months down the road.

I am to the point that I think some of this is by design to get us used to not having what we want the minute we want it - that is a rare thing in the world, maybe not in the western world but it is in the rest of world.

There's no reason the bottlenecks haven't been addressed by now, well unless you don't want them addressed. hmmmmm

Sure there is - it's just not our reason. Withholding product is the oldest gig in the book, going back to at least Rockefeller. You have no inventory to cost you, and sell new product at ungodly profit after squeezing your competitors out of business. It's called monopoly.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Sure there is - it's just not our reason. Withholding product is the oldest gig in the book, going back to at least Rockefeller. You have no inventory to cost you, and sell new product at ungodly profit after squeezing your competitors out of business. It's called monopoly.
Yup, and 'just in time' inventory that many adopted plays a HUGE part in all this. Any interruption in the supply change means immediate impact to the buyer. Then economics kicks in and market prices go up as investors scramble to f*** the other guy over to make a buck - and again the buyer pays the price.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
None what so ever aside from the recalls witch are up to date. Also my mpg has gone up * 2 mpg. Truck runs like a champ.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Have you had any other issues since the engine went on you the first time? Im curious if its worth getting rid of while it might be worth something.. I got word the engine had shipped last week. Still no word on paying me back on what's just been sitting there underivable.. Anyways thanks for your info
I would ask for payment refunds at least, if they said no off to court I go. pretty sure a judge or even jury would side with you that is they least they could do. The very least

Azangus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Eco-diesel
My ‘16 is just over 136k and just took the dump. Thought I’d buy a new in crate motor from Mopar myself… just found out they aren’t available until 1/2023…
Anyone have any other ideas for me? @RamCares ?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey Azangus,

We'd like to hear more about what you've tried. Please send us a DM so we can dig into this with you!

Callie
Ram Cares

RonnyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hello all, I have been with out my truck for 3 months now. The truck is an 2018 Eco diesel 3.0 with just over 60k for miles.. I have gotten terrible customer service from Ram and only get any information from calling and wasting a lot of time of the phone. The information I've finally gotten is they have no eta for a new engine. Is anyone else having trouble getting help or answers besides there's nothing they can do?!.. The truck is under warranty and is going to be covered if they ever get the engine to replace.. My issues are I'm paying a lot of a truck I haven't driven in 3 month and counting.. It's sitting in the direct sun at the dealership in the yard. I have no clue when Ill be getting the truck back and what kind of condition it will be in having sat for so long.
I have been without my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn since March 8.3 months also. Misdiagnosed and now needs a new engine. Under warranty. Can't tell me a ETA either. I called Mopar and was hung-up on twice and then on hold forever until I gave up. I was able to email Chrysler and BEG for their help in expediting my dealership getting another engine. Not a fan of Dodge Ram at this point.