2018 Laramie vs. 2019 Tradesman--which do you like and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Get the 2019. 4.10 gearing and the 8 speed you will like a lot more. Less mileage, better transmission...less money. You'll have a good tow rating and a decent payload.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 6spd tranny pretty much sucks compared to the 8 but really only when towing heavy. For a 5500# travel trailer you should have no problem. I use my 2014 6spd as a daily driver and it's great. The biggest difference to me and what would likely make the choice would be the bed length. Pretty big difference between the two for parking, etc.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d go with the Laramie just for how much better the seats are.
The six speed needs the upgraded after market valve body retaining plate installed. $100 now is better than when the stock one fails and destroys the transmission. Almost no labor to install when you drop the pan to change the fluid and filter anyway. Ask me how I know.
I don’t know if the 8 speed needs the upgrade.

Last edited:

JAT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the 19 is diesel make sure recall has been done on CP4 fuel pump or its been replaced with CP3.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Man that's a tough decision. I'd go with the 19 until it comes to the long box. Personally I do not like the proportions with a long box crew cab. But the rest of the equipment in that truck make it a better deal that the 18. I'd still look for a short box. I couldn't live with the long.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
All depends on person. I have 2022 1500 etorque. Laramie option B and night addition. I wish I would have gone with Limitted.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My first Ram was a used 2005 SLT 4.7L. Had 96k on the odo when I traded it in for a 2004 Ram Laramie Sport with the HEMI 5.7L with 120k and brix were shat that noon. To this day I regret getting rid of that Laramie. Leather seats....they're just easier to clean and they look so much nicer. But a Laramie now vs a Laramie then...is it really worth it? You can get a Big Horn and add leather seats after the fact and get the same package a Laramie comes in nowadays for 10k less - sans the 12" display, but thats only for Apple bi-products IIRC. Thats kinda where Im going with mine.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking closely at 2 Rams right now. I haven't owned a newer Ram, so I appreciate feedback from this community. #1 is an '18 Laramie shortbox w/ 65K miles for $45K. The other is a '19 Tradesman long bed with 27k miles for $42. Both are white and sold by dealers. Both are very clean. Links to the window stickers below if you want to read and point out important details.

Here are few things bouncing between my ears:

- I prefer short beds for the maneuverability, but the 8 speed transmission on the '19 is a huge plus.
- Both have clean carfaxes--they are both single owner. The '18 has minor damage on the report, but I can't see any evidence of repair and I plan to have a body shop look it over.
- Looks like the '19 has a 4.10 axle. Will that larger rear end offset mpg gains from the 8 speed, or will the difference be negligible?
- It will not be a daily driver.

Hit me with any comments or questions. Thanks!

If you haul weight the longhorn is better. If you use it to ride around the larime is better

Canadian-Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Shorty (RCSB)
Engine
5.7 L
If it helps Dodge/Ram is stopping Production on the RCSB's, which should help with it in keeping it's demand and $$$.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
The 2 trucks are like night and day. Hard to compare them to each other. I'd pick the Laramie every time. If all you want or need is a very basic truck then the other will do. I wouldn't even give up my Big Horn for a Tradesman. The newer Big Horns are pretty sparse compared to mine which came with heated seats and steering wheel. I wouldn't buy any newer truck without those options now. I wish my truck had a rear window defroster and backup camera. I haven't seen any Tradesman with those options so for me the choice is easy. Laramie all day long.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2 trucks are like night and day. Hard to compare them to each other. I'd pick the Laramie every time. If all you want or need is a very basic truck then the other will do. I wouldn't even give up my Big Horn for a Tradesman. The newer Big Horns are pretty sparse compared to mine which came with heated seats and steering wheel. I wouldn't buy any newer truck without those options now. I wish my truck had a rear window defroster and backup camera. I haven't seen any Tradesman with those options so for me the choice is easy. Laramie all day long.
The tradesman the op was considering did not have heated seats but did have all sorts of cameras.. not just rear view but also surround view and cargo camera. Also had bsm and cross path protection which you can't get in the older model.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
All things being the same, the tradesman will be rated for a slightly higher payload/towing capacity (less options=less weight, plan grill allow a little bit more cooling air flow).

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963