2018 Media Hub w Aftermarket Head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavesCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All -

A while back, I pulled the factory head unit in my 2018 and went with a Kenwood DDX9905 with the Maestro add ons. The one thing I lost was the console media hub. The Maestro USB-ACC kit doesn't work, apparently, with 2018+.

The more time goes by, the more I miss having USB power in the console. I don't care about the media aspects of those plugs, I just like having two extra charging ports, and one of those was constant 12, which I really liked.

I'd like to get power back in there, and have been pondering a few options. I'd like to see if anyone has experience with any of them.

1. I went ahead and ordered the Maestro USB-ACC kit. Mostly I am thinking if I can use the behind dash adapter in the kit, I can then plug that into a USB on the back of my Kenwood and get power. Again, if I can't actually read the phone, I don't care.

2. I saw a picture in another thread of the back of the USB console hub, and it appeared to be two Mini usb plugs. So, I am pondering getting a USB power adapter cable from Amazon or wherever, and just running straight power to those USB plugs in the console. I actually put in a rear seat USB plug for my kids, so I have a hot wire under the jump seat that I might be able to fish through the console, down through the jump seat and tap that power.

3. Option three is to use the two USB power cables that come off the back of the Kenwood. Currently, I have these running through the back of the slide out storage that is under the HVAC. At least one of these actually is the USB for Android Auto, and the other will connect a phone to the Kenwood for media purposes. I never use these since I specifically bought this model for its wireless Android Auto feature. I am wondering if I could just find a couple extra long USB male to Micro USB male, fish those under the carpet, through the seat into the console and plug into the back of the media hub. However, these aren't constant 12v so not sure about this. If I were to do this, in the rare event I do need to plug in direct to the Kenwood, I should be able to do that through the console in this approach. I could split the usb plugs in the console and tap the power to the constant 12v USB in the dash for one cable, and run the other from the Kenwood.

Here is what I don't know. Within the hub itself, is there more circuitry going on past simply getting power to the Mini USB plugs? Am I in danger of frying something else in the logic of the truck?

Probably Option 1 is the easiest, so at least in the short term, I would probably pursue that route. Even then I still don't know if I am going to get constant 12v. I think my first step is to get power back to those ports even if it is key only power, then move to constant 12v.

Any help is much appreciated in advance.

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe you have to flash the maestro again with the usb adapter to work. You also might want to check and see if there is a firmware update for the maestro.

Ignacio Rodriguez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All -

A while back, I pulled the factory head unit in my 2018 and went with a Kenwood DDX9905 with the Maestro add ons. The one thing I lost was the console media hub. The Maestro USB-ACC kit doesn't work, apparently, with 2018+.

The more time goes by, the more I miss having USB power in the console. I don't care about the media aspects of those plugs, I just like having two extra charging ports, and one of those was constant 12, which I really liked.

I'd like to get power back in there, and have been pondering a few options. I'd like to see if anyone has experience with any of them.

1. I went ahead and ordered the Maestro USB-ACC kit. Mostly I am thinking if I can use the behind dash adapter in the kit, I can then plug that into a USB on the back of my Kenwood and get power. Again, if I can't actually read the phone, I don't care.

2. I saw a picture in another thread of the back of the USB console hub, and it appeared to be two Mini usb plugs. So, I am pondering getting a USB power adapter cable from Amazon or wherever, and just running straight power to those USB plugs in the console. I actually put in a rear seat USB plug for my kids, so I have a hot wire under the jump seat that I might be able to fish through the console, down through the jump seat and tap that power.

3. Option three is to use the two USB power cables that come off the back of the Kenwood. Currently, I have these running through the back of the slide out storage that is under the HVAC. At least one of these actually is the USB for Android Auto, and the other will connect a phone to the Kenwood for media purposes. I never use these since I specifically bought this model for its wireless Android Auto feature. I am wondering if I could just find a couple extra long USB male to Micro USB male, fish those under the carpet, through the seat into the console and plug into the back of the media hub. However, these aren't constant 12v so not sure about this. If I were to do this, in the rare event I do need to plug in direct to the Kenwood, I should be able to do that through the console in this approach. I could split the usb plugs in the console and tap the power to the constant 12v USB in the dash for one cable, and run the other from the Kenwood.

Here is what I don't know. Within the hub itself, is there more circuitry going on past simply getting power to the Mini USB plugs? Am I in danger of frying something else in the logic of the truck?

Probably Option 1 is the easiest, so at least in the short term, I would probably pursue that route. Even then I still don't know if I am going to get constant 12v. I think my first step is to get power back to those ports even if it is key only power, then move to constant 12v.

Any help is much appreciated in advance.

Did you ever solve your problem? I'm curious.

OP
OP
D

DavesCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you ever solve your problem? I'm curious.

I didn't and in fact, just started a new thread today with what I found out.

Basically, I got an adapter to take the factory USB cable from my media port and connect it to the back of my Kenwood. The Kenwood would not recognize anything, and I got no power. However, when I then unplug that from the Kenwood - for about 24 hours my USB plugs in the media center WILL have power. Then it stops.