2018 penstar 3.6 thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Svetla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dear friends. I recently bought a ram 2018 with a 3.6 engine. Run 23 thousand miles. I immediately began to notice that the engine does not warm up at all. After starting the engine, the upper radiator pipe heats up, which indicates that the thermostat is stuck in a large circle.
I have a question.
For penstar 3.6, the thermostat goes in the housing. And it costs $ 150. Can't you buy a thermostat assembly without a housing separately? Or is it non-collapsible and changes in assembly?

And the second question. How could a thermostat die 20,000 miles in a nearly new car?

thermostat.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How warm does the coolant get? and how far do you drive the truck?
As for why it failed(if it actually has), there's always those parts that fail unexplainably you just had the bum luck.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Dear friends. I recently bought a ram 2018 with a 3.6 engine. Run 23 thousand miles. I immediately began to notice that the engine does not warm up at all. After starting the engine, the upper radiator pipe heats up, which indicates that the thermostat is stuck in a large circle.
I have a question.
For penstar 3.6, the thermostat goes in the housing. And it costs $ 150. Can't you buy a thermostat assembly without a housing separately? Or is it non-collapsible and changes in assembly?

And the second question. How could a thermostat die 20,000 miles in a nearly new car?

View attachment 243989
Thermostat comes with the housing for the 3.6L.
It's $73 cdn, so around $50 usd

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Svetla

Svetla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How warm does the coolant get? and how far do you drive the truck?
As for why it failed(if it actually has), there's always those parts that fail unexplainably you just had the bum luck.
The coolant heats up no more than 70 C. The oil does not warm up above 50 C The stove is blowing with slightly warm air

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the complete housing with thermostat is $22 in the US (Napa parts stores) which is likely the same as the guy on eBay is selling.

The thermostat failing appears to be one of the few issues the Pentastar engine has. My Wrangler just threw a code P0128 "Thermostat Rationality" for the engine warming up too slow but then it went away again. Fortunately the thermostat is one of the newer designs that fails open instead of staying closed and overheating the engine.

OP
OP
Svetla

Svetla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the complete housing with thermostat is $22 in the US (Napa parts stores) which is likely the same as the guy on eBay is selling.

The thermostat failing appears to be one of the few issues the Pentastar engine has. My Wrangler just threw a code P0128 "Thermostat Rationality" for the engine warming up too slow but then it went away again. Fortunately the thermostat is one of the newer designs that fails open instead of staying closed and overheating the engine.
Could you tell me where can I buy it? they are out of stock on rockauto and ebay. Only the original at an expensive price.

OP
OP
Svetla

Svetla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There ya go, even better!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
It turns out that it is not suitable for a dodge ram. And I have a problem. I can't buy them anywhere. On Rockauto and ebay they ran out and it is not known when they will be.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you tell me where can I buy it? they are out of stock on rockauto and ebay. Only the original at an expensive price.

Just the other day I looked up the thermostat for my Wrangler but it turns out the housing is slightly different in the Ram application. The one for the Ram is out of stock at NAPA as well. Sorry.

OP
OP
Svetla

Svetla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
have to look for an analogue. Thanks everyone for the answers.:)