2018 PW first road trip...and check engine light comes on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First real trip in my 2018 Power Wagon, only 200 miles round trip and 90% highway. Topped off the tank, hit the highway, 75mph all the way from Rock Hill to Camden SC and about halfway back the engine light comes on. It wasn't the gas cap...and too late to go to the auto parts store to find out what code is causing it.....so I guess Monday to the dealership. Hopefully just something small.
Ran great the entire way though, averaged 14.5mpg. I did check the temps and pressures according to the electronics while driving, nothing seemed wrong. So...just have to see! Anyone else get these little "teething" issues with their new PW's?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My new 2014 light came on in less than 50 miles. When I got home I disconnected the battery and let it sit about an hour. Hooked it back up and no light since. (4.5 years and 46000 miles)

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll look into that corvette! Thanks!
sanda -> I may try that tomorrow.....does anything else get reset when you do this?

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ordered the BlueDriver! Going to stop off today at AutoZone and see if they can scan in the meantime!

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hopefully The BlueDriver works then! It didn't say that it wouldn't on 2018 models it did say on the Blue Driver website that it will work with the 2018 PW's however and worse case it will go back. But, that said, I went to auto zone and they put it on their scanner. There were 8 codes basically the below codes X2:
P3402 Cylinder 1 Deactivation/Intake Valve Control Performance
P3426 Cylinder 4 Deactivation/Intake Valve Control Performance
P3442 Cylinder 6 Deactivation/Intake Valve Control Performance
P3450 Cylinder 7 Deactivation/Intake Valve Control Performance

Guess I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I had my check engine light come on on my last road trip. (about 5,000 miles on the truck) I happen late Saturday night. By the time I got back home on Monday it had gone out. The truck ran fine although I believe it never went into ECO mode while the check engine light was on. I also got the best gas mileage to date on that trip. :shrug:

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had my check engine light come on on my last road trip. (about 5,000 miles on the truck) I happen late Saturday night. By the time I got back home on Monday it had gone out. The truck ran fine although I believe it never went into ECO mode while the check engine light was on. I also got the best gas mileage to date on that trip. :shrug:

Wow, wish that was my case! I honestly don't notice any difference in how the truck drives....I don't see ECO coming on....my gas mileage doesn't appear to have gotten any better or worse. Dealership wants me in Wednesday to take a look at it. Glad your truck worked itself out! I'm not so lucky!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I'm quite surprised that I haven't had any check engine lights come on with my 2016 Power Wagon since the rodents and other smaller varmints just love the environmental friendly yummies and attractive tasty wiring treats under its hood. They have chewed away my battery insulation due to whatever it was made of they really loved eating it. Never had any issues with any of my older vehicles and an old V8 boat other than only a couple in the past have made a home on the engine with something other than the vehicle's own material. Since I got my Power Wagon though it has become a critters' Smorgasbord.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm quite surprised that I haven't had any check engine lights come on with my 2016 Power Wagon since the rodents and other smaller varmints just love the environmental friendly yummies and attractive tasty wiring treats under its hood. They have chewed away my battery insulation due to whatever it was made of they really loved eating it. Never had any issues with any of my older vehicles and an old V8 boat other than only a couple in the past have made a home on the engine with something other than the vehicle's own material. Since I got my Power Wagon though it has become a critters' Smorgasbord.

Wow, not THERE is a issue I hope I don't have! Here in South Carolina we have "extended" rodent seasons due to the long summers and mild winters! They love to get into the insulation under my house! So not entirely surprised to hear they love the battery insulation....the stuff they tell us we should stay away from because it is unhealthy and yet the rodents seem to thrive on it!

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, I start my truck today, and the check engine light is off. I think I'll give it a day, before I call and cancel my appointment, not sure if I should go anyway at this point. The light came on coming home from a 200mile trip on Saturday. The light was on yesterday when I used the truck, but today...nada.
Possibly just new truck teething issues with all the electronics?

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I start my truck today, and the check engine light is off. I think I'll give it a day, before I call and cancel my appointment, not sure if I should go anyway at this point. The light came on coming home from a 200mile trip on Saturday. The light was on yesterday when I used the truck, but today...nada.
Possibly just new truck teething issues with all the electronics?

I believe having the light on indicates that the error code is active. Even if the light goes out, the stored codes will still be there, unless cleared by a scanner, or disconnecting the battery.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Called the dealership and they basically said drive it the next day or two an if the light does NOT come on, cancel the appointment and drive it till it does come on again, then make a new appointment! :)

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
ehh. no. The codes are stored and something tripped them. That's the whole reason for the output. I'd bring it in and get them to explain why it happened.

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
The new insulation is soy oil based instead of dead dino based. So I guess it taste better???. I tried some with some hot sauce and I still like the taste of the old stuff better.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
ehh. no. The codes are stored and something tripped them. That's the whole reason for the output. I'd bring it in and get them to explain why it happened.

Ha! Well they literally told me that if there is no code, there is nothing they can check....I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about the dealership service dept!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Last edited: