2018 PW first road trip...and check engine light comes on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Update, got the truck back from the dealership after a week, they had to order a wiring harness for it (part is due in around 12/3) so I picked it up since they said driving it won't hurt anything. Picked it up on Wednesday drove it with no issues till Friday night, didn't use it Saturday or Sunday, Monday morning go out to truck to head to the office and....."click" battery is dead. So, dealership says they want to come by, jump the truck and take back with them to the shop and leave me with a loaner.
I LOVE this truck, but my confidence in it is beginning to get a bit shakey. Lucky this didn't happen to me 10 mikes down a logging road in the middle of nowhere!
So, we'll see what happens this time. I guess they keep it till 12/3, then replace the harness and hopefully get it back by the time I need it for a 12/8 show. I bought this for my personal use and my business...hopefully I can get this fixed once and for all. Dealership has been great as far as taking care of me though. They give me brand new 2019 loaners. I DID however purchase a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack from them Friday, so...that probably doesn't hurt(retirement gift for my wife).
Wish me luck!
mazer

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes it did. Haven't had anymore issues, truck drives great now!
Oh, forgot to mention, it took "two" wiring harnesses to fix it, and they had to use "gold" connectors due to too much resistance? I'm not a mechanic, but as long as it was fixed in the end! :)

Last edited:

sweetgrass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
New to the board, and new to the PW. But while reading this thread I couldnt help but comment on the rodent issue, as I have no check engine light problem. But when we first moved into our current home here in northern New Mexico last year we had a major rodent issue. So I went to Big R and bought some snap traps, they worked ok, but didnt always deliver a quick kill. Did some searching on the interwebs, and found the A24 automatic rat and mouse trap. This trap was designed by the New Zealand government to eradicate a rodent problem they had on some of their islands. It is an extremely efficient kill trap that resets itself and can have a counter added if located in an area where scavengers live.

https://www.automatictrap.com/products/a24-rat-and-mouse-trap-kit

This trap has all but eliminated our rodent problem, from mice to the large Norwegian Roof Rats that were living underneath a shed in the backyard and the Pack Rats living in some nests under the Juniper trees. It came with some chocolate bait, which didnt work real well, but the kit comes with a DIY lure basket so you can use a bait that is more suited for your region. Peanut butter is irresistible here in my area, and when baited with it, it is devastating as no rodent survives.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks sweetgrass! But they didn't tell me that my harness had been "chewed!" but I didn't look either! Two weeks ago the engine light came on again for the SAME THING! Brought it back and the dealership had it fixed in a day saying there was a "software upgrade"....so...on the road again! 8K miles on the Wagon in 7 months of ownership. Still love the truck! But the electronics are a pain!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks sweetgrass! But they didn't tell me that my harness had been "chewed!" but I didn't look either! Two weeks ago the engine light came on again for the SAME THING! Brought it back and the dealership had it fixed in a day saying there was a "software upgrade"....so...on the road again! 8K miles on the Wagon in 7 months of ownership. Still love the truck! But the electronics are a pain!

Yea thats not very confidence inspiring.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Exactly, which is why I haven't taken it off road very far. This coming fall though....hope it is ready! I'll be testing it out with some longer trips in the meantime on the road and see how things shake out!

sweetgrass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Exactly, which is why I haven't taken it off road very far. This coming fall though....hope it is ready! I'll be testing it out with some longer trips in the meantime on the road and see how things shake out!

Check engine light is one of the factors that made me move away from my Chevy and into the PW. So hoping I dont experience that in the PW, but I really hope the dealer was able to resolve it for you.

OP
OP
M

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, hopefully it is fixed. I'm going to take a few road trips and see how it goes. Honestly it isn't serious in that it makes the truck ride a lot differently. Some other electronics won't function with the check engine light is on...like starting the truck remotely. The only thing I DO notice is that the MDS doesn't come on at all...which isn't a bad thing I guess. Depends on how you look at it!
I LOVE this truck though, so it would take something major to make me think about getting rid of it....well....the possibility of the new TRX coming out in a year or so...that is more of a threat to the PW!!! But I don't know WHY I would want a Hellcat powered Pickup....at least I keep telling myself that!